Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the V6 does the plastic stock manifold cover just serve as a protection for the manifold or is it functionable. Hope that made some sense. Reason I'm asking is because my strut bar is rubbing on the the rib that runs down the center of the cover and I'm thinking of getting the dremel out and grinding it down a bit. Already added the washer trick underneath and it is still touching slightly. So I quess I'm asking is it OK to shave the rib down a bit without damaging the integrity of the engine.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I know on the GT the whole piece is 'functional, it is not just a cover...

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think the "cover" you're talkin about IS the intake manifold:rolleyes: .........dont grind it down!

·
Registered
415 Posts
danalor said:
On the V6 does the plastic stock manifold cover just serve as a protection for the manifold or is it functionable. Hope that made some sense. Reason I'm asking is because my strut bar is rubbing on the the rib that runs down the center of the cover and I'm thinking of getting the dremel out and grinding it down a bit. Already added the washer trick underneath and it is still touching slightly. So I quess I'm asking is it OK to shave the rib down a bit without damaging the integrity of the engine.

I tried a strut bar on my V6 and it also touched. it caused a clicking sound to come from inside the plenum cover. I used washers and put some foam rubber where it was touching. Didn't stop the clicking sound. So I decided this wasn't good and returned the strut bar with a note that I thought it was defective in design. I'm glad I returned it because I got the Midwest Auto Gear plenum cover and it really looks good. Totally changed the looks of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
From what I understand you can't put the GT brace on the V6. There are a few companies out there that are making special V6 versions.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There's a lot of poorly designed V6 bars out there it seems. You're not the first to report this problem. and yeah, that black lumpy looking thing on top of the engine IS the upper intake plenum, not a cover.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The one I had was designed for a V6. When you put it on a level surface you could see that one side was at a different angle than the other. I do not recall the brand name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.