1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I like the idea of Turbo though.... its a little different set up.
But you cant go wrong with a brand like vortech :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
hey all im new to this forum, just wanted to get that out
But okay, I bought a 1999 35 year Anniversary Mustang that is a 3.8 V6 with only a cold air. And ive seen turbochargers and superchargers that said they could be run on a stock V6

Supercharger - Fawcett Performance - Mustang V6 1999-2000 3.8 Supercharger System V-2 SQ S

Turbocharger - STREET KIT

So my question is this, which one would be better for my mustang, and 2 what EXACTLY would i have to do so i would work.
Ive heard good and bad on both sides. I've seen quite a few well built turbo'd v6's using the TMA kit; but superchargers are more common and less complicated. Its a preference thing.

Stuff you need with the supercharger/turbo:
Bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, dynotune, turbo will require new exhaust.

Stuff you dont technically need to make it work but should get if you dont want your car to crap out:
sub-frame connectors, detroit true-trac T-lok, T/A rear end girdle, exhaust is smart on the supercharger as well, Z rated tires cause lets face it if you're running boost you're going to go over the pansy 115 mph speed rating of the stock tires.

If you're planning on getting over 300 rwhp then you'll need a 8.8" rear end. There are other things you can get to improve performance/longevity but this is what I would consider a bare minimum.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
A properly built 7.5" rear will handle 400HP......

I would personally turbocharge my car if I had the choice since it is easier on the engine and if you stay out of boost you won't burn as much fuel unlike a supercharger which is mechanically linked and will create boost pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
if you want good top end power go with a turbo.
I always recommend a turbo, im a big fan!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes a properly built 7.5" will handle 400hp... It will also cost just as much to properly build a 7.5" as it would to swap in the 8.8" that will handle 500hp stock... I would stick with the 7.5" just because it is quite a bit lighter than the 8.8" though...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A properly built 7.5" rear will handle 400HP......

I would personally turbocharge my car if I had the choice since it is easier on the engine and if you stay out of boost you won't burn as much fuel unlike a supercharger which is mechanically linked and will create boost pretty much all the time.
This is technically not true. Yes a supercharger is parasitic in that it feeds off the belt causing more friction and lower fuel economy; but under a certain RPM range the supercharger doesn't create boost because the pressure it creates isn't strong enough to overcome natural aspiration. Only when the superchrager is spinning fast enough does it begin to create boost. Same with a turbo. Since it is exhaust feed it technically is always spinning as well; but it doesn't create boost until it has enough exhaust pressure to overcome natural aspiration.

If you are running sticky tires with that kind of power I would personally feel less worried running an 8.8"; but he shouldn't make more than 270-280 rwhp running just mild boost.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yes a properly built 7.5" will handle 400hp... It will also cost just as much to properly build a 7.5" as it would to swap in the 8.8" that will handle 500hp stock... I would stick with the 7.5" just because it is quite a bit lighter than the 8.8" though...
Hey whats up tex!
Anyway i wouldnt waste anytime building a 7.5 (again). I built my stock one with tllok and gears and only ran it a few months b4 i swapped it with the 8.8. Didnt have any problems but i knew i would need something stouter. Some guys on other v6 forums have killed their built 7.5 with very little power added.
My 8.8 has a differential and 3.55 gears. I make 448+ to the wheels. I go to the track and always use slicks and have never had a problem.
To build a 7.5 is gonna cost you alot more than goin to a junkyard and getting an 8.8. I got mine for 100 bucks. 7.5 tloks alone are like 200 now.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hey whats up tex!
Anyway i wouldnt waste anytime building a 7.5 (again). I built my stock one with tllok and gears and only ran it a few months b4 i swapped it with the 8.8. Didnt have any problems but i knew i would need something stouter. Some guys on other v6 forums have killed their built 7.5 with very little power added.
My 8.8 has a differential and 3.55 gears. I make 448+ to the wheels. I go to the track and always use slicks and have never had a problem.
To build a 7.5 is gonna cost you alot more than goin to a junkyard and getting an 8.8. I got mine for 100 bucks. 7.5 tloks alone are like 200 now.

I have no idea why you quoted me to be honest???

The T-lok is the weakest unit to use for the 7.5" rear end. A detroit or auburn unit are much stronger and much more expensive obviously.

I stated that I would use a 7.5" rear because I like the fact that it weighs less than the 8.8" rear end by a noticeable amount. I wouldn't mind swapping in an IRS but it is not as easy of a swap as a SRA to a SRA is...

I also stated that building the 7.5" to handled less power is more expensive than the 8.8" is to swap in...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i know but you were saying that it cost just as much to built the 7.5 as to swap it to 8.8. Which is false? the auburn and detroit are more than 300 bucks! if he wants a supercharger or turbo you know that hes gonna want more power!!!!!
I built a 7.5 and regret it terribly, it was a waste of money...
What is the weight difference anyway? I didnt think it was that much when we were on our backs swapping rears.
Im not arguin to b a **** or anything i just dont think even considering buildin the 7.5 for a f/i car is worth it at all.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
i know but you were saying that it cost just as much to built the 7.5 as to swap it to 8.8. Which is false? the auburn and detroit are more than 300 bucks! if he wants a supercharger or turbo you know that hes gonna want more power!!!!!
I built a 7.5 and regret it terribly, it was a waste of money...
What is the weight difference anyway? I didnt think it was that much when we were on our backs swapping rears.
Im not arguin to b a **** or anything i just dont think even considering buildin the 7.5 for a f/i car is worth it at all.
To buy an 8.8" with gears in it and pay to swap it in is going to be $500 or more. To build the 7.5" to handle the power is going to be $800 or more. I went a bit low on the 8.8" because I know that prices vary for installs and for the rear end itself. I can find them rarely for 150-200 but generally 300 or so for an 8.8" gears in it, add in swap costs and it can be pricey.

The weight difference is about 35-40lbs.

I was stating that for my purposes I would not want an 8.8". I do not plan on big power. If he is planning on big power then an 8.8" is the way to go. I want mediocre power, I am more concerned about handling and keeping the weight down. An IRS would be the best solution but they are expensive and not nearly as easy to install as a SRA.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
really i didnt think the weight difference was that much. o well.
A rear end swap can be done in a day. Just really need jack stands, jack and general tool set. An air compressor helps too, but is not always needed.
Dont forget about the cold ones too! those always help on a hot day :drink:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The cold ones help with just about anything... lol The weight difference is there. I always assume that most people will take the car to a shop to get the rear end swap done just because most people do not want to do that in depth of an install even though it is fairly simple.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.