Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have and 88 Mustang I bought a year ago, that has the 351W swapped into it. It's an automatic trans. (Was rebuilt (by who dunno)). Car ran great then all of a sudden (in the course of NORMAL driving [wasn't getting on it at all, never really did) the trans fluid just literally poured out of the housing. No where else. Suspected the drain plug came out.. nope. Figured it was a bad torque converter seal, so I pulled the trans. Now I'm scared, because the seal 'looks' good, the torque converter doesn't 'seem' to have any cracks. The seal doesn't fit real tight on the torque converter hub (has a bit of a groove) but I can't see how it would all of a sudden leak so much, yeah maybe a little bit or increase gradually, but this was all of a sudden [kind of transmission/car not going anywhere (middle of the bridge too :( kind of sudden) Never leaked before at all. All that trouble taking the transmission out, could it be anything else but that seal?

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
check the pump to hosing gasket when they leak they leak bad. not real uncommon for them to leak there. Looks like it is a C4 right? But if you are gone that deep might as well have it built. One thing I do is put a C6 front pump busing in place of the stock one much wider and offers more support for the converter. make sure the vent is not stopped up also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm definitely gonna check/replace that pump gasket. Makes sense, because it sure dumped quick, way too sudden and fast for a torque converter seal. I was sure hoping to see it messed up though lol. Yep.. it's a C4....C6 front pump bushing in a C4? That sounds like a plan if it indeed will fit. .. THanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
They fit I do it to all the C4s I build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts