Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 mustang II Hatchback, 2.3 liter, 4cyl engine, identical to yours here, but we are restoring her now so she looks a little rough and sounds it. When I first got it there was a single barrel carb, wired onto the intake, with 1 open port, but it ran, some old lady had it. I pulled that off, put a nice little motorcraft 2 barrel on, the correct one for that year model and it started backfiring out of the carb, pulled the valve cover off and the 2nd to last valve had a thrown rocker arm, I replaced those, and cleaned everything off, and tuned it all to specs. The engine runs great in park, I can leave it sitting at 2500 rpms, as long as I want to, longest I have just let it sit an run is about an hour, maybe 2. no problems, same with just idleing. But I cant get it to idle much below 1200, Every port on my carb is capped at the moment, because I have around 10 hoses, that I need to replace and some I need to find. because none of them were conencted to anything else on the entire engine when I got it, and I cant find a good hose diagram anywhere for it. Any help on getting this thing running good, and tips on upgrades, wanted to make this a mini-stock, but seems like for the same price to get maybe 150-170 hp out of one of these eninges, I can put an 6 or 8 cyl in and get cheaper easier to find parts, and way more power. But since I have already dumped 400-500 on this engine I dont want to just pull it and start over.

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! i believe there are some vac. diagrams in the 2.3 section....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had similar problems with mine. It sounds like you probably have multiple vacuum leaks. Unless you have smog laws that are still in effect on your II, or you want to restore it to stock, I would pull off every hose and cap it off. It looks much cleaner and it saves the time of trying to redo all the lines as they are probably kind of rotted like the ones in mine were. The only things I can think of that need vacuum are an automatic transmission, brake booster and distributor advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.