Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have an issue with valve cover clearance on my engine. The problem is the rockers are rubbing/scratching/hitting up against the covers. They are 1.6 proform non adjustable roller rockers. Rather than going through the trouble of taking the oil baffle apart and grinding down the old covers I have decided it will be better to buy bigger covers. I have gt40p heads and a pro-comp high rise intake. The car is fuel injected, which ford racing covers should fit without issues with this setup? I'm thinking anything listed for fuel injection should be fine, but I figured I would see if anyone has experience with this issue. Again, I am not going to attempt to grind out the stock covers, all my rockers have scratches from the covers. Thank you.

331 eagle crank stroker, keith black pistons, gt40p heads, pro-form rockers, PEP springs (.600 lift), E303 cam, High rise pro-comp intake(similar to edelbrock intake) Fuel injected, 70mm TB, no emissions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What kind of gaskets are you using? If you use taller valve covers may need to use spacer on intake in order for intake to clear valve covers. I never had any issue with proform pedistal clearing stock valve covers after removing baffle or even crane 1.7.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too worried about clearance with my manifold because it is high rise. I can see that it is higher than stock or the gt40 intake. I am using RTV as the manifold gasket.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your using silicone that's why you don't have the clearance. Taller valve covers or thicker gasket will work.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are the ones I was looking at. Awesome. @lt mac I'm using the "fancy" fel-pro gasket for the valve covers, if that's what you meant. I'm not having an issue with clearance on the manifold at all. It's the rockers, and even though it's more expensive I just feel like saving the headache and getting cool shiny valve covers that I know will clear my rockers. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Those are the ones I was looking at. Awesome. @lt mac I'm using the "fancy" fel-pro gasket for the valve covers, if that's what you meant. I'm not having an issue with clearance on the manifold at all. It's the rockers, and even though it's more expensive I just feel like saving the headache and getting cool shiny valve covers that I know will clear my rockers. Thanks guys!
Before you buy the ford racing black wrinkle
covers think twice. I have those and they look
great but god forbid you happen to touch one the
wrong way and Chip goes the paint. I have had to
refinish mine three times now. You might be better
off getting the same style cover only the polished
alum version. They look just as good and there is no
paint to chip off.

·
Registered
561 Posts
you need the taller valve covers for the 1.6 stock ones are going to hit and using a thicker gasket is just a band aid , when the gasket gets older and the parts heat up its going to wack again , I wouldnt advise cutting baffles out unless your real good at kepping it clean from any excess, metal in the engine is evil , plus without the baffles it will likely leak

1 - 8 of 8 Posts