Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone lead me in the right direction? I'm looking for valve seals for a 68' 302 for my 65 mustang. Have some leaky seals and need to replace them however I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for. I know I need exhaust and intake seals just wondering if anyone knows of where I can get them for a decent price and what brands are better. All that good stuff, also tips on installing would be appreciated. Print Dad told me about putting nylon thread in the cylinder and bringing the piston up. This way the valves do not slide down into the cylinder.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello 65coupe302,
Man I wish you would give me a call.

To be sure you understand - - you want to insert nylon ROPE
into the spark plug hole. I would use a rope about 3/8 inch thick.
The theory is - -the rope fills the area above the piston and when the piston moves
it pushes the rope up to hold the valve. You gotta put quite a bit of rope into the
spark plug hole. be CERTAIN the rope is long enough to hang out of the plug hole.
When you turn the motor by hand the rope will get forced up and hold the valve.
Then you MUST back the motor up to remove the rope. This is of course after
replacing the valve seal. People use compressed air to fill the cylinder but that is a little shaky if the air slips past the valves or guides etc. I think safer to use the rope just take your time.

The valve seal looks like rubber washers or boots. They are located inside the valve springs. You need to remove the rocker - - then compress the spring to remove the retainer - -then the spring will lift out of the way and you remove the old seal.

I should also mention - -you could have issues with the valve guides as well.

Trust me on this - - I can offer loads of ideas but I hope you can call me.

Here is a link to a place I use a LOT

RockAuto Parts Catalog

You should also be able to get seals at your local parts store like Pep Boys or Auto zone

Let me know what you are gonna do. I was thinking your friend was all set with this BUT I would feel better if I could be certain you know what you are getting into.

I hope he has a tool to compress the springs or you can rent one from AZ or PB's.

I NEVER want to impose on someone's project - BUT I do want to feel as though you understand the process before you start.

Hang in there - -it is NOT a bad job - Print Dad

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, I'll give you a call Friday! I would today but I like to venture off and seclude myself from the world on my birthday. It's the only day of the year I can get away with shutting my phone off and finding true peace and quiet lol

I def appreciate all the help, I just saw your pm when I logged on so I'll give you a call on Friday and we'll go from there! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The OEM valve stem seals were flat-topped, rubber umbrellas around the stems as indicated. That is a fairly low tech seal and there are much more sophisticated ones that actually wipe the oil from the stem. But the umbrellas were original and seem to be all that is needed. Either type are dirt common and cheap as in $1/ea would likely be high.

I would respectfully disagree with the nylon rope. Not necessarily that it won't work, but... First, I am not keen on stuffing ANYTHING in my cylinders; how do you know some of it won't stay in there and do unknown things? Or that you won't damage something stuffing it in and digging it out. Secondly, the compressed air method is extremely simple and if your compressor can't supply enough air to hold up the valves then your rings and/or valves are in such bad shape that you don't have any business driving the car to begin with. Compressed air is the factory method to do this job. The nylon rope idea is likely left over from Model A days. To me its much like Model T's where owner's sometimes used shoe leather for bearing inserts; I wouldn't suggest that for your 302 either. :)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello All,
First - to Ivy66GT - NO OFFENSE taken with your comments. In fact
you are 100% correct - -compressed air is the BEST way to do this job.

I have talked to this young man on the phone and thought he was in good
hands. There is another mechanic working with him.
When I read the post and it said - -nylon thread" I got worried.

I had mentioned to him that the valve would fall into the cylinder if
nothing was supporting them.

I too am not a HUGE fan of nylon rope method - -BUT is will work
IF done CORRECTLY.

I plan to talk to this person and find out exactly what is going on with this project.

I know he is planning on doing the seals BUT I don't know if he has done
a leak down test. Not certain what shape the valve guides are in.

THANKS for keeping and eye on things and I will be certain to explain his options
and I also hope he can use AIR on this job.

I will NEVER be offended when someone points out an alternate and often better method.

Print Dad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts