Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im doing a cam swap in my 87 5.0 ive never done a cam swap before and i have the whole motor apart ready for the cam..im thinking ahead and when i go to put the motor back together i remembered that my valve springs are going to have to be torqued down to a specific PSI and i dont know how much that is and i already have the feeler gauges that i need to measure it... any advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You dont torque the valve springs. :bigthumbsup

You torque the rocker arm bolts. About 20-22ft/lbs.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts

Rotate the engine by hand til you have a pair of lifters on the base circle of the cam (TDC compression stroke for each cylinder); hand tighten the rockers until you just reach zero lash -- rock the rocker with one hand, tighten with the other until it won't rock any longer; at that point put your torque wrench on it and tighten to 20 ft-lbs. while counting the number of turns it takes to get there. It should occur between 1/4 and 1 turn. If it takes more than 1 turn, you can shim the rocker up -- each .030" shim reduces the number of turns to torque by about 1/4. If it takes less than 1/4 turn or if you can't reach zero lash, then you need longer pushrods.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You dont torque the valve springs. :bigthumbsup

You torque the rocker arm bolts. About 20-22ft/lbs.
yeah thats what i meant haha i dont know why i said valve springs but thanks for the info i can finish this cam swap up now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.