Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good reading material on checking valvetrain geometry?

When I get home from deployment I'd like to check mine out as it is very noisy. End of the deployment is coming soon. Can't wait to get back to both my wives. The car and the woman.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hope you get back soon, sir. When I was building my engine, this page was the only thing I used and I don't have any clattering or anything like that: COMP Cams® - Valve Train Geometry

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll bookmark that page.

Problem is the kid I bought it off of was one of the "Cold Air Intake gets me 40 hp to the wheels" type kids. Had a shop do all the work and couldn't tell me a lick about what is inside the engine. I can tell that the rockers are new(They are anodized blue from what I can see through the fill port) and that it has some sort of cam in it. Don't know what type of heads, either. But has a GT40 intake on it. I looked for the GT40 markings on the heads but didn't find them. We'll see what it is when I open it up. Probably good 'ole E7's. There is a video in this thread of how it was running before I left:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/274988-5-0ho-something-sound-wrong.html

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ah... I remember I was like that.... then I hit puberty, haha. Poor dumb kid. That link you attached seems to be non-functional.

Actually one thing to add to valve train stuff: we got a pushrod length checker and we order the correct length, but of course some were a tiny bit long and a tiny bit short. For the ones that are too long you can shim the pedestal (assuming you are even running pedestals) for the ones that are too short what do you do? AH! you can use a flat grinder to shorten them a little bit (maybe 4 - 8 thousandths at a time). Then the lash and preload is perfect for each one. I credit that day (whole day) my dad and I spent on the valve train to the reason why the car dynoed more power than we expected.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird. If you click the link it says page not found. If you copy/paste it into the address bar it works fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts