Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new carb, never had this problem before but now my car wont start after its been on a few minutes. Car wont start when hot. Ive never had the problem before so i dont believe it has anything to do with vapor issues, especially with the new carb. When i look down the barrel and lift the accelerator i can see gas squirting/driping and some smoke come up out of barrel. also i took off the top piece of the carb and the bowl was pretty full of gas. can this be a vapor lock issue? or maybe a floater issue, too much gas? I have been adjusting the screws that regulate the flow of gas, and the idle screw but still nothing. please help.!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello correa66,
Your condition is almost certainly NOT vapor lock

It would help us a lot if we knew a little more.
What size motor and what type and size carb.

Not certain I understand when you say the car won't start
after it has been running a few minutes.

My guess is that what is happening is you run the motor, turn it off
and then when you try to re-start - -she won't start.

SURE sounds like the float level is too high.
I think you are dumping gas into the motor and it is flooding.

A little note - -it is NOT a good idea to remove the top of the carb
unless you are certain of what you are doing.

My hope is that you are dealing with a Holley and the floats need to
be adjusted Let us know

Print DAd

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What you describe - "won't start hot....won't start after running a short time" sounds like "heat soak". there should be a phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold or a thick gasket that insulates the carb from the heat of the manifold/engine.
If the heat gets to the carb then the gas boils over and fumes into the intake causing a very rich mixture and won't start unless you hold the throttle to the floor (don't pump it - just hold it there) and crank the engine until it fires.
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts