Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am exploring the options of spending a bit of money on my car and am sort of undecided on what to purchase. I have interest in suspension and a SC and/or other performance modifications. The vehicle is the 2012 GT/CS listed in my signature and the vehicle is stock aside from Roush Axle-backs and a Steeda shift knob. I am throwing down the vendor gauntlet to try to get the best bang for my buck, and am requesting vendors put some packages together for me using their professional expertise and to submit their quotes to me for consideration. In the end, the vendor that is able to offer me the best value for my budget will be the one that I place the order with.

I have two budget tiers in mind, $3,000 or $4,800. I have full ability to go up to the $6,000 but I am putting some aside for vacations/savings and may throw some additional money into that pool, thus the addition of the $3k budget. I would like to see what I can get for both budgets from the vendors here on this site.

About the vehicle's usage: My car is a DD that is driven year round, but I have my BMW to drive in the winter if the mustang becomes undriveable in inclement weather. 99% of the mileage on the car is around town, autobahn, etc. Keep in mind that I am in Europe and the roads here are amazing, and twist a turn and have round-abouts everywhere.

Suspension Considerations:I am looking to see what I can do to the vehicle to have it handle extremely well. I have ambitions of tracking the vehicle throughout the year in addition to daily driving it once the warmer months come again, as I have numerous tracks open to the public in my immediate area (nurburgring, hockenheim, circuit de chambley, etc). I would like to put a great suspension together, starting with the components that will make the biggest impact. I am a "big on value" sort of guy and like to get the most out of my money and not necessarily waste money on the things not necessary. Not that suspension is a necessity, but I had already allocated this money to the mustang quite some time ago. I am fairly interested in a 1.5"-2"+ drop but I am willing to let vendors essentially take their professional expertise and build my suspension for me. Please keep in mind in your decisions that although it is a daily driver, and has a good chance of being tracked starting next season, that I also interested in drag racing. I am not looking for a full drag racing suspension system, but merely want to insure that the suspension set-up that vendors come up with will but the power to the ground in a straight line whether it be from a roll or from a dig. Slicks are a possibility for use in the future as well.

SC Considerations: I am looking for something extremely conservative. I love the whine of a supercharger, as it puts an instant smile on my face and makes my pants tight. My budget may not make a SC feasible at this time, but if I do not SC it in this Phase 1 purchase, then it will be Phase 2 which should occur sometime towards the end of first quarter 2013.

Performance Considerations: I am not interested in tuning my vehicle at this time, unless a SC is purchased during this phase.

Ultimately, the goal is to turn this vehicle into a very quick and corner carving animal that maintains daily drivability.

If there are any questions or is any additional information necessary please PM me and I will get back to you ASAP. Keep in mind that the time zone difference may delay response until I am awake. I look forward to seeing what you all are capable of putting together for me, and hope that you are able to offer a bulk quantity discount for what will be a pretty sizeable order in my opinion. I hope to make this deal relatively fast, before my wife notices the cash set aside and decides to get frivolous although she knows where this money is supposed to be going. Shipping would have to be to an APO address, zip code 09012. I am extremely excited to work with you all on this purchase. If you quote, please provide two quotes....one at the $3K budget and one at the $4.8K budget. Quotes can be PM'ed to me here, or you can PM me and I can provide my email address.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
A lot of vendors already have pretty good deals on packages they have put together so the parts all benefit from each other. Have you spent time shopping around?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. Endless amounts of building shopping carts and then being skeptical

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mods, please delete.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Ok
Sam strano for eibach adj coil overs and adj sways and control arms
Pro charger with d1 blower (think that is the better one)
Long tubes
Off road x
Spec stage 2+ clutch
Drive shaft
Tires
New shifter
Fly wheel
Custom dyno tune
3.55 gears

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Should of bought a 13 gt500.
Why didn't you?? No need to insult the guy.

To the OP: I say contact the vendors first and see who would ship to Europe. Then you can make your deal from there. My suggestion is to get a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft specially if you have to drive fast in the Autobahn, the 2 piece is not safe over the limiter. Then go from there, unfortunately I don't have any mods yet for my 13' but I've heard good things about the frpp handling pack. I don't know if Kenne Bell make SC for the 5.0 yet but that's my favorite SC brand.
Good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried calling Sam yesterday but I dont think he works weekend hours. For now it is between the Koni Yellows and the Eibach Coil-Overs, perhaps even the KW variant CO's depending on what Sam is going to recommend. I dont know if the coil-overs would be over kill for me or not and I hope to get in contact with him to figure it out. If I go with the Yellows, I am thinking maybe Steeda sport or ultralight springs.

Aluminum driveshaft is a big possibility, along with strainless brake lines and hawk pads. May bite the bullet and order a big brake kit with two piece rotors, however I would like to start with SS lines and pads first to see if bigger brakes are really necessary. Watts link is a good probability as well.

Agreed at not needed to insult me about the GT500. If I wanted one bad enough I would buy one and pay cash for the difference in the trade.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I would try to stay with Ford Racing products, they're the best IMO.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tried calling Sam yesterday but I dont think he works weekend hours. For now it is between the Koni Yellows and the Eibach Coil-Overs, perhaps even the KW variant CO's depending on what Sam is going to recommend. I dont know if the coil-overs would be over kill for me or not and I hope to get in contact with him to figure it out. If I go with the Yellows, I am thinking maybe Steeda sport or ultralight springs.

Aluminum driveshaft is a big possibility, along with strainless brake lines and hawk pads. May bite the bullet and order a big brake kit with two piece rotors, however I would like to start with SS lines and pads first to see if bigger brakes are really necessary. Watts link is a good probability as well.

Agreed at not needed to insult me about the GT500. If I wanted one bad enough I would buy one and pay cash for the difference in the trade.
That's almost exactly what I have picked out for my soon to be arriving 2013 GT.

Here's my short buy list after much research:

Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts
UMI Black Adjustable Panhard Bar
Steeda Adjustable Upper Control Arm
UMI Black Lower Control Arm Kit
Strano Sway Bar Kit (Front and Rear)
For Racing GT500 Strut Mounts

I'm torn between the Steeda HD Strut mounts and the GT500's, mainly just on price. They appear to work fine with the Steeda Ultralites. The coil-overs are unfortunately pushing my budget too much. I'm sure I can be happy with the Koni's! Also, the LCA's may or may not be needed after all is said and done. As far as brakes go, I'm probably looking at Brembo LFC 600 brake fluid and Hawk HP+ pads. I've heard the Brembo rotors are sufficient.

All in all, this should give a highly adjustable setup suitable for daily driving for right about $2000 before labor to install. I figure labor is going to run about a grand, as it's an all day install. I have lift, but unfortunately it's a four post, and I can't do suspension work on it. Of course this is all on other people's opinions and my own research. I'm going to reach out to Sam when my car arrives for his opinion, and buy as much as I can through him for his support.

X

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yea i heard sam is the man when it comes to the twisties but he now only goves info to buyers not potential buyers i really want to go coil overs and some other things but im looking at future and saying why put 8k into the car when i should just save it

·
Registered
702 Posts
I cannot believe no one has mentioned tires yet. If you have 3G to spend and you want drive corners faster, you should buy the best performing rubber available.

You need to buy tires that fall under the category "
Extreme Performance Summer" on tirerack.com.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts