Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used their vert in a parade? Mine will be use to bring out one of the Homecoming Queen candidates and she will be riding in the back but I don't like the idea of someone sitting on the top folded down. Will this hurt anything?

·
Registered
88 Posts
vert been in a parade

Haven't been in a parade but I have made a TV commercial with my GT for a local trailer manufacturing company. Sort of like the GM commercial where the different vehicles drive up onto the transporter while ilt's moving. I had two deputy sheriff units chasing me as I "drove" up onto the back of the trailer being pulled by an H2. Caption for the commercial is "You don't have to speed to get to the trailer sale!":laughlitt

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been reluctant to bring this up so as not to freak out all the convertible owners, but this might make an interesting experiment.
My brother in-law ownes an auto upholstery shop (for 20+ years) that just happens to do convertible top repair work for a local Ford dealer. He has had three convertibles in for warranty work and all three had the side arm, the one from the back to the middle, twisted.
His opinion is that it seems the metal is way too soft, like it has not been heat treated. Apparently the bar gets in a bind when the top is on it's way up and twists the crap out of itself, somtimes tearing the one piece top in the process. What made it get into a bind? Maybe someone sat on it or tried to put up the top with the boot on. Maybe it was a flawed top from the start.
Now here is the kicker, all three cars are owned by Hertz, so he couldn't get any feedback from the operator. Ford has been paying to fix them all, so far.
What are the people renting these cars from Hertz doing with these cars? Driving them in parades maybe? Who knows.
While he did say that this is the best top Ford has ever put on a Mustang (he compared it to a european top and definitely from a new supplier) he would not reccomend anyone buying a convertible for a year or two, until Ford worked out the problems. Thing is, if not enough of them break under warranty, Ford will not see it as a problem.

Anyhow, I say go for it and let us know how it went. I have personally seen an 05 GT vert in a parade and everyone was wearing smiles, including me.

If it were mine? man, I don't know. You gotta bite the bullit sometime, it might as well be under warranty.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm doing the Homecoming Queen thing myself on the 21st. The dealer has already admitted to misaligning the top while it was in for service so anything that goes wrong at this stage is covered.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
HIDZ-GT said:
Has anyone ever used their vert in a parade? Mine will be use to bring out one of the Homecoming Queen candidates and she will be riding in the back but I don't like the idea of someone sitting on the top folded down. Will this hurt anything?
Depends on how much she weighs :shocked:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Homecoming was Friday nite and everything went great! Except the red looked orange under the lights! To top it all off, the girl that rode in my car won Queen. If they hadn't done the voting earlier in the day I would swear it was my car that won it for her.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I practiced for the Homecoming last night. I had two girls on the back and no problem. Tonight is the real thing - there are five girls and only three cars so we get to make multiple trips. All the cars are 05's from the club. One of them is a stock appearing supercharged car. We were having NASCAR visions but managed to restrain ourselves. I hope we can do the same in front of the crowds tonight :kooky:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts