Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to see what everyone is doing this winter with their convertibles. I was lucky enough to convince my wife that I should keep my Jeep for the winter so the Stang will be garaged.

I have used gas stablizer in my tractor and other yard equipment so I am assuming that I can for the car. Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

I am going to get a car cover and will occasionally fire up the engine since I know I will miss :sadcry: the sound.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Three words: Garage, garage, garage! My wife will drive the Jeep and I'll drive the Grand Prix. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
jdruid said:
I am curious to see what everyone is doing this winter with their convertibles. I was lucky enough to convince my wife that I should keep my Jeep for the winter so the Stang will be garaged.

I have used gas stablizer in my tractor and other yard equipment so I am assuming that I can for the car. Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

I am going to get a car cover and will occasionally fire up the engine since I know I will miss :sadcry: the sound.
I am going to put the top down and turn the heater on and cruise. We don't get much cold weather. :kooky:

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Winter fun

Well here in California, for the most part, I am going to enjoy my girl this winter. :tongue Of course, I am going to wimp out driving her in the rain, but fortunately, it does not rain too often here in sunny California. When it rains, my girl will be tucked into the carage with her "Wooby" (car cover) wrapped around her tight body. :winks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You guys are just mean!

For you who park over winter, don't forget to move the car at least once a week. This way it won't rest on the same tire spot making your tires go outa round...

There is more threads about this... do a search...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Top Down Cruise Every chance I get..:walksmile

Texas winter weather great for verts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hopefully I will be driving mine by then......I think it snowed once last year, and I stayed home that day,and Dallas does not put down salt, only sand

·
Registered
12 Posts
Texas winter weather great for verts.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that, baby! :thumbup

It doesn't get any better than a Tejas winter for a vert owner.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Almost the same as Albuqeruqe. Hardly ever snows, does get a little cold out from time to time but not that bad. The thing to watch for is when they put down sand or cinders to not drive for a couple days after that if you like your windshield to be clean and crack free.

06TUNGVERTGT said:
Hopefully I will be driving mine by then......I think it snowed once last year, and I stayed home that day,and Dallas does not put down salt, only sand

·
Registered
40 Posts
California was made for convertibles!

Don't know much about Texas but living in sunny Southern California, I will drive it with the top down every chance I get. If it gets chilly, I'll just run the heater through the dash vents! This is my second convertible Mustang (owned an '87 since new and traded up to this one) and that's what I've done for the last 18 years! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
my05toy said:
Don't know much about Texas but living in sunny Southern California, I will drive it with the top down every chance I get. If it gets chilly, I'll just run the heater through the dash vents! This is my second convertible Mustang (owned an '87 since new and traded up to this one) and that's what I've done for the last 18 years! :D
How much maintenance of the top did you need to do over the last 18 yrs. I am curious as this is my fist vert.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shatnerman said:
How much maintenance of the top did you need to do over the last 18 yrs. I am curious as this is my fist vert.
Well, it was garage-kept for the entire time and rarely used in the rain. I kept the top down almost all the time, too (much of the time with the boot cover on to protect it). Other than that, I didn't really have to do anything to it.

The big difference between the '87 vert and the new vert is that the new one has an insulated top, which means you don't see the hardware. By the time I sold the '87, last month, the material that hung down from the top and attached to the crossrails had deteriorated so that the rails were "just there" (this should not be a problem with the new insulated top). It had gotten to the point that, if I had kept it longer, I would've had to replace the top in the next couple of years. When I repainted the car two years ago, I considered replacing the top to the kind that looks more like cloth (like on camaros and porsches). I took it to a top shop and they were shocked at how great a condition it was in! It was going to be well over $1000 to do it, so I decided to pass.

Just take care of your top and either garage the car or cover it and it should give you plenty of years of good service!

·
Registered
559 Posts
In Chicago, we have long, cold winters with alot of snow and the city pours tons of salt (or some kind of chemical solution) on the streets daily...
Not to mention, the occasional slip and slide accident that can occur.

I have garaged by sports ride every single winter and drive a beater...

Three years ago, I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee w/4 WD which I drive all winter long... Let it snow!!!

My baby is safely tucked away in the garage with Stabil in the tank, a trickle charger on the battery and a soft cloth cover over it...

In the fall, I have the oil changed, fill the tank and only start it about once every two weeks or so...

In the spring after the snow season ends, I take it out, have it washed, change the oil again and she is as new as the day I garaged her...

Oh, and don't forget an air freshener for the inside during this period too...

In Chicago, depending on the weather, she goes in about December 1st and returns about April 1...

Best of Luck, Dave :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
During the winter

Unfortunatly the 04 Drop Top sits out, top up until the ride begins. It is my daily driver. After each washing every two weeks, I coat the top with a new restorer/conditioner from my detail shop called "Blue 2000". It just came on the market about a year ago. I apply it after the top is dry with an old gym sock as if you were painting it. It is great. There are a few products out there. Just be careful and buy a name brand for the right top. a very good friend just picked up a 69 drop top Camero. Top was dead. This brought it back.

Jess

·
Registered
210 Posts
I will be storing my vert for the winter also (I'm outside of Chicago). I will put the top up, but keep the windows down with my Covercraft Dustop cover on. I have a heater in the garage (I like to keep the garage at about 50-55 degrees). As I have not used my car that much, only 944 miles on her since June 30, I have to keep an eye on the battery. I had to jump it once after having it sit for 3+ weeks. Will probably start her every 10-14 days or so. Another thing I learned after storing an old T-bird is to cut pieces of plywood and put them under the tires. Concrete has a way of wicking moisture out of the tires, resulting in dry rot. Definitely a trick that works. Any other storage tricks out there?

·
Registered
559 Posts
pk2112 said:
I will be storing my vert for the winter also (I'm outside of Chicago). I will put the top up, but keep the windows down with my Covercraft Dustop cover on. I have a heater in the garage (I like to keep the garage at about 50-55 degrees). As I have not used my car that much, only 944 miles on her since June 30, I have to keep an eye on the battery. I had to jump it once after having it sit for 3+ weeks. Will probably start her every 10-14 days or so. Another thing I learned after storing an old T-bird is to cut pieces of plywood and put them under the tires. Concrete has a way of wicking moisture out of the tires, resulting in dry rot. Definitely a trick that works. Any other storage tricks out there?
Dear PK2112,

I'll try the plywood trick this winter...

I also put Stabil in the tank...

You could invest in a good trickle battery charger from (Sears) for the off times that you do not drive it... Keeps the battery charged...

Dave :rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
4 horrible snowy winters in a row =:weeps:weeps:weeps:weeps

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fleg said:
Almost the same as Albuqeruqe. Hardly ever snows, does get a little cold out from time to time but not that bad. The thing to watch for is when they put down sand or cinders to not drive for a couple days after that if you like your windshield to be clean and crack free.
Ditto, Truth or Consequences. :winks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely going to try the plywood trick. I was thinking of moving car out of garage every couple of weeks...depending on snow etc.

Forgot about the battery...gonna go to sears and pick one up.

Thanks for the tips!

Discofan..sounds like we got same setup..I have a 98 Grand Cherokee for winter / lumber yard runs..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts