Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a sad day for us Mustang enthusiasts.I just witnessed a Dodge Magnum SRT Hemi( a fringin' big heavy stationwagon loaded with golf clubs) trounce a 05 GT by a good 3-4 car lengths.Not once but twice.The guy in the Magnum and his 3 buddies were having a pretty good laugh.Ford needs to get it together and put a larger 32 valve engine in the GT's and while there at it at least make an independent rear suspension an option.I love Mustangs and think the 05's look awesome.But I hate seeing them get whupped by stuff like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
"Performance numbers for the all-new 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 include a 0-60 mph time in the low five-second range and 60-0 mph braking in approximately 110 feet. Capable of covering a quarter-mile in the high 13-second range, the Dodge Magnum SRT8 can accomplish SRT’s signature performance test of 0-100-0 mph in the mid 16-second range."

That's from Dodge's website. Now that's from SRT, basically Dodge's version of SVT, not the standard Magnum with a hemi. If he had mods on top of that, then yes he would be able to whip a STOCK 05gt.

I smell bad driver in the Mustang, with an auto. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I've already laid waste to a 300c (with the Hemi.) I doubt that the magnum is faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
The Magnum has 340hp and 390lbs torque. Killing an 05 Mustang wouldnt be much trouble.

Ive said it before, I feel that Ford underpowered this Mustang (Along with others in the past). 300hp isnt really much, especially considering that the F-bodys (which left us five years ago) offered 320hp cars before they disappeared. (Yes I know someone is going to point out that those cars are gone but that isnt the point here.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
STONECOLD said:
The Magnum has 340hp and 390lbs torque. Killing an 05 Mustang wouldnt be much trouble.

Ive said it before, I feel that Ford underpowered this Mustang (Along with others in the past). 300hp isnt really much, especially considering that the F-bodys (which left us five years ago) offered 320hp cars before they disappeared. (Yes I know someone is going to point out that those cars are gone but that isnt the point here.)
Gotta agree with you on that. My brother-inlaw's 95 Z28 with very few mods pulls very hard though all gears. Mustangs need more power straight from the factory!!!!! There is no replacement for displacement!!(Well maybe a supercharger or nitrous).:thumbsup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I think they should make a mustang cobra for 2006, and have a 351C in it or even a 351W. That would give it a bigger motor, then they could make it 32 or even 64 valve, and stomp the competition, throw on a good super charger, mabey some Nitrous oxide or some Cry02 stock, that would be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
funkbuster said:
I think they should make a mustang cobra for 2006, and have a 351C in it or even a 351W. That would give it a bigger motor, then they could make it 32 or even 64 valve, and stomp the competition, throw on a good super charger, mabey some Nitrous oxide or some Cry02 stock, that would be nice.
The 351C is dead. You can't even buy blocks anymore.

The Windsor was never that great of an engine, compared to the C, or even the competition. The only thing that made that engine approach greatness was a Clevor conversion. Warped heads from coolant starvation, oiling problems, etc.

the 5.4L probably has a bit more potential, but sources inside FoMoCo say they're developing a new OHV motor, given it's design (compact & lightweight) and durability advantages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
Cdvision said:
Gotta agree with you on that. My brother-inlaw's 95 Z28 with very few mods pulls very hard though all gears. Mustangs need more power straight from the factory!!!!! There is no replacement for displacement!!(Well maybe a supercharger or nitrous).:thumbsup
Umm, the 05 Gt is faster than your BIL's z28, stock anyway. If we're talking mods, than I get to mod the Mustang too, just to be fair, right?
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2



2005 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 5.1 13.5 (MT Jan 05)

I don't think you guys are giving the 05gt the credit that it deserves. With a supercharger, UDP, CAI, and tune they are putting well over 450rwhp with that tiny, underpowered 4.6
http://musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0507_05procharger/

As far as the Magnum is concerned, getting high 13's with over 425hp isn't all that great. Like I said before, I think that the SRT8 just had a better driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
JEB said:
1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2
JEB said:
They've run faster than that. MM&FF ran what, [email protected] in a 93 Z28.

Anything can happen on the street. The only true kills occur at the track, with times to back it. I think the 05 Mustang GT can run and is easily the quickest, non Cobra to come from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey JEB,great link on the 0-60 times.

No disrespect intended towards the 05 Stang they are a fantastic machine for the money and with a few mods they perform great.But it would be nice to have more power right from the factory at least as an option(4.6 HP with hotter cam etc. higher ratio gears). That way you don't void your warranty and can still kick ass!!
To compare two different 1/4 mile times with different conditions in different locations is unfair.I just think that with 10 yrs newer technology the flagship Ford performance car(excluding the Ford GT)should be able to trounce a 10 yr old Z28 or T/A and in the "real" world they have a tough time doing so.Stock to stock or slightly modded.
I'm just stating what I've witnessed on the street and at the track.
My brother in-law's 95 Z28 has run 13.40 on street tires(doesn't hook up very good) with headers/exhaust and a chip as the only mods.
Better driver or not JEB.The SRT8 still spanked the 05 GT.Twice.:sadcry:
Peace dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
95MGTS said:
JEB said:
1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2
JEB said:
They've run faster than that. MM&FF ran what, [email protected] in a 93 Z28.

Anything can happen on the street. The only true kills occur at the track, with times to back it. I think the 05 Mustang GT can run and is easily the quickest, non Cobra to come from the factory.
Heck, even on the track, throw a different driver in, and you'll have a different result. You generally have time to ice the intake, etc at the track as well. Which isn't indicative of a daily driver.

Anything can happen on the track, too.

But that's where all racing SHOULD take place, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
2007 Shelby Cobra! Shall I say more. Bring it you friggin' Hemi's! :gringreen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tamstang said:
2007 Shelby Cobra! Shall I say more. Bring it you friggin' Hemi's! :gringreen
Yeah .That's all fine an dandy.But what year is it now and what does Ford have in the way of a Mustang right now that you can drive off the lot a whup a stock SRT8 with?
I mean a stock station wagon of any sort should not even come close to a Mustang for straight line performance and who's to say that the Dodge boys won't find a way to cram a hemi into a Neon by 2007.Then what?Ford needs to get back to the cutting edge of performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
Yeah, I'm not much for nerd racing, every mag has different results. Just trying to show that, by the numbers REPORTED, the 05gt is not getting it's due from some of ya'll.

I do agree that a "more powerful option" would be great, but I can add more power myself.

I don't doub't that the original poster witnessed some butt whoopins, and I still stand by if they were both stock, the Mustang had a poor driver.

I know that the kiddies on the street that have played with me have gotten their lunch money taken. That includes a WS6, a 300C (hemi), more ricers than I can count, buddies' SRT4, another work buddies sti (wasn't a kill, but I hung with him from a roll), an 03 machI, several, various flavor Camaros, a new 2 door Caddy(model unk due to I never saw his back bumper), 350z, a mid 80's Vette, and many more.

I'm not into "street racing," but the Tampa area has alot of aggressive drivers, and Boy Racer types, and I do enjoy showing them up when they ask for it. All of my racing happens from people tailgating me, or trying to not let me pass. I have indulged a few challenges at stoplights, when I'm feeling froggy.

For the record, my car is still STOCK. I have the feeling that people doubting the new GT have never truly put one through it's paces.
When I get some spare time I'll go to the track in Bradenton and post results. :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
I have nothing against the 05, as a matter of fact I like it. But im going to stick with my original statement, I feel that that it is underpowered from the factory. Is it a decent, quick car? Hell yes. But it has no real competetion (at the moment) to base it against.

If we were to line one up against one of its past rivals a five year old last generation F-body, it wouldnt be very impressive as its quite possible that stock vs stock the F-body could very well beat it. And the problem I have with that is that the F-body was offering the 05's power levels (more actually) five years ago.

Now Jeb mentions that "I don't think you guys are giving the 05gt the credit that it deserves. With a supercharger, UDP, CAI, and tune they are putting well over 450rwhp with that tiny, underpowered 4.6"

The motor takes great to boost and thats good. But I still would rather have it come with more power from the factory and be naturally aspirated. My personal choice would be to have the car come with over 300hp (about 340hp) from the factory. This would seperate it from all the family cars and even SUV's pushing the same 300hp.

I just prefer to have my muscle car have some real muscle, the Magnum, Charger, GTO all offer better power packages but they wont outsell the Mustang because the Mustang looks alot better.

The 05 is an all around great car. It just lacks a few extra ponies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
JEB said:
I do agree that a "more powerful option" would be great, but I can add more power myself.
Unfortunately you void your warranty if you mod your car.
Man,there are times when I really miss my 69 428 CJ 4spd Mach 1. 13.20 at 107 mph on street tires throught the exhaust with next to no traction. 12.40 at 112 mph with 8" slicks and the car was stock with the exception of headers.Plus it had over 90,000 miles on it(well not the clutch).
I would have killed myself(or put the Mach on the bottle) if I lost to any 4 cyl car on the street.
P.S. I lost the race in the pic to a 351C powered Mach with slicks and many mods.On that day (98 degrees temp) he ran a 13.50 and I ran a 14.40. That was about 15 yrs ago. I drove down from Edmonton to Calgary(180 miles) for The All Ford Weekend.It was so hot that day.Only one of the many 5.0 Mustangs was able to break into the 14's.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
STONECOLD said:
I have nothing against the 05, as a matter of fact I like it. But im going to stick with my original statement, I feel that that it is underpowered from the factory. Is it a decent, quick car? Hell yes. But it has no real competetion (at the moment) to base it against.

If we were to line one up against one of its past rivals a five year old last generation F-body, it wouldnt be very impressive as its quite possible that stock vs stock the F-body could very well beat it. And the problem I have with that is that the F-body was offering the 05's power levels (more actually) five years ago.

Now Jeb mentions that "I don't think you guys are giving the 05gt the credit that it deserves. With a supercharger, UDP, CAI, and tune they are putting well over 450rwhp with that tiny, underpowered 4.6"

The motor takes great to boost and thats good. But I still would rather have it come with more power from the factory and be naturally aspirated. My personal choice would be to have the car come with over 300hp (about 340hp) from the factory. This would seperate it from all the family cars and even SUV's pushing the same 300hp.

I just prefer to have my muscle car have some real muscle, the Magnum, Charger, GTO all offer better power packages but they wont outsell the Mustang because the Mustang looks alot better.

The 05 is an all around great car. It just lacks a few extra ponies.
Couldn't have said it better myself.I agree 100%.:thumbsup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
You have to remember the SRT Magnum is a 6.1 liter Hemi and costs around $60,000. I have beaten a Hemi 300, but that SRT is pretty serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
The 05 Magnum RT AWD is a 5.7 liter 340hp, 390lbs torque car. And costs $32,000.

The 06 Magnum is a 6.1 liter 425hp, 420lbs torque car. And costs $37,320 not $60,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
kscoyote said:
Heck, even on the track, throw a different driver in, and you'll have a different result. You generally have time to ice the intake, etc at the track as well. Which isn't indicative of a daily driver.

Anything can happen on the track, too.

But that's where all racing SHOULD take place, IMHO.
Except the start of the race is even, both know when to go and of course where it ends. Sometimes the better driver wins and other times, the better car. At least there are times to back it up and both drivers know they are racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
ok...for the 2006 year there are two versions of the Magnum RT..one is a RWD and one is an AWD....they are both a 5.7L Hemi rated at 340 HP and 390 lbs torque
there is also an SRT8 in the works that is a 6.1 liter Hemi that makes 425HP and 420lbs torque and will cost around $40K and i dont think it will be offered in AWD, but cant stay for sure.....

now, the whole point is that the SRT8 way out powers a 05 mustang GT, so it is no surprise to me that u witnessed one gettin spanked...i think that the 300HP in the new stang is a definate improvement, but ford has always make their cars underpowered...thats not to say that i am hating, cuz i love my stang and a lot of fords lineup, but for years chevy has been making camaros that have outpowered stangs and now some of the new 6cyl imports are making as much HP as a 99-04 stang and the even STi is rated at 300HP also.....i know its a forced induction car, but come on already. i think that our stangs need some more factory power....thats why i spend all my extra ca$h on car parts....either way, if u were to supercharge the new stang, u can make sick power and annihilate those SRT's....by the way, there is an SRT6 Crossfire that is supposed to kick ass
http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/chryslercrossfiresrt6.html
and a 300C SRT8 also
http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/chryslersrt8.html

I NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!!:madas: :madas:
 
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top