Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pony has about 11XX miles on it, and today it started throwing up a "Oil Life at 5% Please Replace" message.

I know they put in break-in oil, but it's supposed to last the first 3000 miles. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
well, the old saying " nothing lasts forever" comes to mind. but that doesnt sound right, so now you`ll have to play the dealer games. maybe its a sending unit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer is closed today and nobody's picking up the phone, so thats why I asked here.

"sending unit"?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a 2010 Gt with the 4.6 32v in it with 1609 reading on it now with the same light. maybe a down the road recall?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
The dealer is closed today and nobody's picking up the phone, so thats why I asked here.

"sending unit"?
just a wild guess.probly sensor is more modern than sending unit.( i`m just old,lol) something has to trigger that light, whether its from pressure or temp, but really i have no idea. sounds like just a bug to work out of the newest cars :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But you don't think anything will go catastrophically wrong if I drive it? Like say, no black holes swallowing the earth, or no robot armies coming to destroy the earth?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Mine has about 3700 miles on it. I have about 14% oil life left. I have not changed the oil yet......... I took it in at about 1000 miles and the dealer said on these newer engines there is no point till the oil meter goes off........

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has about 3700 miles on it. I have about 14% oil life left. I have not changed the oil yet......... I took it in at about 1000 miles and the dealer said on these newer engines there is no point till the oil meter goes off........
At about 3000 miles you're supposed to go and get your 1st change to swap out the break-in oil. I'm just trying to figure out why it's giving me a warning and saying my oil life is 5%. I guess it's probably a sensor issue.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yeah, I figured as much, but whatever. I'll end up selling the car with less than 50K miles on it anyway..... Plus, I doubt it's even a big deal.

The manual says nothing about this 3K first oil change. It says 7500 miles. So who knows ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh. My manual (as far as I remember) said 3k miles. Might be different for the v6.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
There is no "break in oil" in these cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one mechanic who knows anything about mustangs at my dealer said he wouldn't bother installing the nice FRPP oil filter that came with my FRPP power kit because it would be wasted on the "break-in" oil, so either he didn't know what he was talking about (and for everything else I asked he did) or my car has break-in oil. I'm gonna go re-read that manual.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
As stated above there is NO Break In Oil in these Car's. Simple test is to just get your Oil Changed and see what happens with the light, your not gonna lose anything but gain some Fresh Oil in your New Investment. I changed my Oil after the first 500 Miles, then changed it 3 more times with Mobil 1 and my Stang has 6,300 miles on it now and I'll continue to change it every 1,000 miles reguardless of what the Owners Manual says.
When the Engine is new is where you'll find the most crap in your Engine left over from the Machining Process, why leave it in there for 3,000 miles when you can get it out now. Change your Oil and do your Car and yourself a favor.
Ron

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The change oil indicators I’ve seen are based on the mileage driven since they were last reset, the idea being that the guy who changes the oil is supposed to reset the indicator at the time of the change. Here’s the procedure for resetting an Explorer, not sure if a Pony’s the same or not, but it should be in the owner’s manual somewhere:

1.) Press the TRIP/RESET button to cycle to "SETUP MENU HOLD RESET".
2.) Now press and hold the button for 2 seconds until "RESET FOR SYSTEM CHECK" is displayed, then release.
3.) Immediately press and hold button for 2 more seconds until "Oil 100% RESET IF NEW" is displayed, then release.
4.) Immediately press button once to display "HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL" and release.
5.) Immediately press and hold button for 2 seconds until "OIL LIFE SET TO 100%" is displayed.

Actually I’m kind of sorry that Ford’s started putting this feature in their cars, I don’t need some “idiot light” to tell me when to change my oil. I usually do it sooner than recommended anyways, and resetting the damn thing is just one more thing to do.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The change oil indicators I’ve seen are based on the mileage driven since they were last reset, the idea being that the guy who changes the oil is supposed to reset the indicator at the time of the change. Here’s the procedure for resetting an Explorer, not sure if a Pony’s the same or not, but it should be in the owner’s manual somewhere:

1.) Press the TRIP/RESET button to cycle to "SETUP MENU HOLD RESET".
2.) Now press and hold the button for 2 seconds until "RESET FOR SYSTEM CHECK" is displayed, then release.
3.) Immediately press and hold button for 2 more seconds until "Oil 100% RESET IF NEW" is displayed, then release.
4.) Immediately press button once to display "HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL" and release.
5.) Immediately press and hold button for 2 seconds until "OIL LIFE SET TO 100%" is displayed.

Actually I’m kind of sorry that Ford’s started putting this feature in their cars, I don’t need some “idiot light” to tell me when to change my oil. I usually do it sooner than recommended anyways, and resetting the damn thing is just one more thing to do.
O.K. I got a question for you...I have changed My Oil 4 times alreadly in My Stang and I have never reset the System Check as I really did'nt know that it would tell you Oil Life as I really never messed with it but 1 time. My Stang now has 6,300 miles on it so would'nt the System Check by now have told me my oil needed to be changed as I never reset it? Im sure it does'nt know all by itself that it has been changed or does it test the oil in the car for (life) and then let you know it needs to be changed?
Ron

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Im sure it does'nt know all by itself that it has been changed or does it test the oil in the car for (life) and then let you know it needs to be changed?

I personally don't know of any on-board oil testing system that's available in cars. To my knowledge it goes strictly by mileage. Luckily my ’05 doesn’t have that feature. But my wife’s Solara does and I have to mess with it on her car from time to time (much to my annoyance). Not sure when Ford actually started putting it in the ponies, it’s obviously in the thread starter’s 2010. Are you sure you even have the feature in an ’07? If so then maybe there's a fault in the software.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I personally don't know of any on-board oil testing system that's available in cars. To my knowledge it goes strictly by mileage. Luckily my ’05 doesn’t have that feature. But my wife’s Solara does and I have to mess with it on her car from time to time (much to my annoyance). Not sure when Ford actually started putting it in the ponies, it’s obviously in the thread starter’s 2010. Are you sure you even have the feature in an ’07? If so then maybe there's a fault in the software.
Yea it's in My 07 PONY, I did hit the System Scan 1 time just to see what it did and it checked all the stuff and Oil was one of them. Like I said Im also sure it goes by Mileage so mine should have said it needed a Oil Change. But then again and Im not sure on this one but what does FORD recommend in the Owners Manual for Oil change mileage, was'nt it like 7,000 miles? so mabey since I only have 6,300 miles I have'nt got that far yet.
Ron

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ahhhh, so its a mileage thing. i didnt know the 07 stangs had that either. i think when the mechanic said break in oil, he wasnt really refering to the type of oil, just the fact that it was brand new and you were breaking it in. so ya, a really good filter would be a waste for the first time around. makes sense. :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts