Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from L.A. late two nights ago when I noticed my exhaust suddenly got louder, but on one side, so I exited and pulled up halfway to the first driveway I saw and looked at my right rear view mirrow: black smoke everywhere. Went outside to see the rear tire had completely came off, but was just hanging on, and the car was driving on wheels for probably about a mile. It took about 40 minutes for someone to come and change it and the next day I went to Ford.

Pirelli Nero: $198.95. Cerritos Ford said the tires kicked up something and it wasn't covered under warranty. I told them to inspect all the parts near the rear tire: wheel well, suspension, etc, but to especially check for body damage. They also have their own inspection, visual, batteries, fluids, whatever, supposedly they do that all the time. After I got the car back, I noticed the car had a black rubber rubbing mark over my back bumper. Too late, I already left the dealer, and there was so much water on the car, I couldn't have noticed it anyways. (They washed it, but didn't completely dry it.) It rubbed off. Fine, next my girlfriend said that the car looked like the right stood higher than the left. Checked the tire psi: 20 all around, except for the new tire: 35 psi. This was on their check off list. What pissed me the hell off was this: my right side skirt droops slightly from being beaten by the flapping tire as I exited, enough to notice if you were standing a yard or so away. Can't push it back into place. It's going back to the dealer first thing Monday morning. So disappointing. :handball:I don't want to pay any more money for this repair. I thought my 6 year warranty would've covered everything...:sosad:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don't know what 6 year warranty you are refering to, but no extended warranty that I am aware of covers tires or physical damage.

But since you only has 20 lbs of ait in the remaining three... I'd ask to see the old tire and have them show you where it ran over something.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
tricali said:
Checked the tire psi: 20 all around, except for the new tire: 35 psi.
If you were running 20 PSI in your tires, it was probably just a matter of time before you had a catastrophic tire failure. Years back I was running Goodyear ZR45s on my old cobra. I picked up a nail and a slow leak. Eventually the tire depressurized enough where the wheel started cutting into the sidewall and she evenually blew. Actually lifted the rear of the car off the ground when it went. You may have experienced something similar.

G

·
maybe i'm reading the story wrong but did you say the tire came off? did you say you drove a mile on wheels without noticing until black smoke was everywhere? i'm sorry but i gotta ask...were you high or drunk? and did you say the exhaust got louder.?..was that from it dragging the ground? again none of this caught your attention until you pulled up to some poor schmos driveway and got out...holy smokes dude....thats a hell of a story...how deep in the bottle were you?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nghtrnnr said:
maybe i'm reading the story wrong but did you say the tire came off? did you say you drove a mile on wheels without noticing until black smoke was everywhere? i'm sorry but i gotta ask...were you high or drunk? and did you say the exhaust got louder.?..was that from it dragging the ground? again none of this caught your attention until you pulled up to some poor schmos driveway and got out...holy smokes dude....thats a hell of a story...how deep in the bottle were you?
No, not like that... the wheels were loosely holding on to the tire, but the tire was completely ripped off (Like a thick rubber band around a finger). My exit was coming up, and I thought it was an exhaust problem. I didn't want to pull over the side on the freeway. The side skirt is noticable when you approach the car. I wonder how much it would cost to bend the material underneath back into place. I'd say that there's a 1 cm gap between the side skirt and the body.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade but from what you described it sounds like you have some responsibility here. If you don't keep your tires inflated properly and as a result you suffer a blowout or damage thats your problem not the Ford dealer's, and I would think you are responsible. My opinion is based on your post, if I read you wrong, I apologize and stand corrected.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why would you think your warranty covers damage that you caused? You need to be careful about what you write about a Dealer, or any business for that matter. You have now poisoned your relationship with this store because of your post.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You have only 20 PSI in your tires?! You might wanna get some air in them. Recommended is between 30-35. Those are seriously under-inflated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
He should have checked his pressures before his mishap, but it is poor service from the dealer if they didn't check the pressures before he left.

I have always loved Fords, but I have never been impressed by any of their service depts. That reminds me of when my bro in law took in his Ranger. They called him and said it wa ready, when he got there it took them a half hour before they could find it at the dealer. During that time they asked him if he was sure he brought it there :happyhapp

·
Registered
77 Posts
bigplayrayr said:
He should have checked his pressures before his mishap, but it is poor service from the dealer if they didn't check the pressures before he left.

I have always loved Fords, but I have never been impressed by any of their service depts. That reminds me of when my bro in law took in his Ranger. They called him and said it wa ready, when he got there it took them a half hour before they could find it at the dealer. During that time they asked him if he was sure he brought it there :happyhapp
Yea, what is it with these Ford Dealers?!? I bought my v6 2006 prem and they could not find the 2nd key...told me to come back the next day. I come back then they tell he they'll have to make the 2nd key because they could not find it....then they scheduled me to come back a 3rd time for that, and promised it would take 20 minutes. I come back the 3rd time, then they tell me I have to leave it for the day...I couldn't. Then I complain and they tell me to come back the 4th time in the morning, so I do, then they tell me it will take 60 minutes...what BS!!!

Back in 2003 they did the same freakin thing to me with my new Expedition!!!! It's Fairway Ford in Placentia, CALIF. It seems that once they finalize the deal, they stop returning phone calls, and couldn't care less about customer complaints...they made promises they could not keep as well.

Why I returned to them for the 2006 is pooh-pooh on me! :eyebulge:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hemborg Ford out here in Norco has a thieving sales staff. I remember being accosted by this sales moron there a couple of years ago who promised me my 2002 GT by "noon tomorrow" after making the deal and getting my deposit. A week later I gave up in disgust after they stopped returning my phone calls inquiring about my car.

I ended up driving over to Claremont Ford and seeing the car I wanted (Black 2002 GT Vert, cloth interior) sitting on their lot! After being told by the sales thieves at Hemborg that there was only one in CA and it was up north and was being trucked down to the dealer.

I drove down to Hemborg in my new 'Stang to get my deposit back from those liars.

NOW... to be fair... Hemborg's service department ROCKS! Great crew there that does repairs right the first time, and is open late to accommodate working stiffs like myself.

Guess I will steer clear of Cerritos! :winks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts