Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mustang Shelby GT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 GT 80,000ish miles

20mins or so after filling up my tank, the car kept wanting to die when coming to a stop but I was luckily able to get it home.

Starts up fine, but it would just shut off on its own after idling for a bit. The idle seems smooth and there isn’t a check engine light (even checked for codes with my basic scan tool in case the light just isn’t working). After letting it sit, I was able to drive up and down the street a few times but it still wanted to die when coming to a stop and pushing the clutch in (It’s a manual).

I first thought bad gas since this happed after filling up and even threw some water remover in it, but that just doesn’t seem to be the case. After deciding to change the fuel filter and even the vapor canister purge valve, I drove up and down the street again. I was able to drive around the block without an issue along with letting it idle for a bit. After 5mins or so of idling I drove it again but once I got to the end of the street, it shut off and wouldn’t start back up.

This time I could hear whining noise from the back of the car when trying to start it and immediately thought the fuel pump must be the culprit. Got the car pushed back down to the house and ordered a fuel pump. Just installed it and was again able to drive around the block without and issues. I then let it idle again for like 5mins but then the car shut off in the driveway. I was able to keep starting it up, but it keeps dying after a few seconds of running.

Again no codes and idles fine, just keeps turning itself off after it’s been running a bit. Car showed no signs of issues before all this.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I feel like the fuel filter and fuel pump definitely needed changed, but now after changing them I’m confused why I’m still having issues?

·
Super Moderator
3,050 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 GT 80,000ish miles

20mins or so after filling up my tank, the car kept wanting to die when coming to a stop but I was luckily able to get it home.

Starts up fine, but it would just shut off on its own after idling for a bit. The idle seems smooth and there isn’t a check engine light (even checked for codes with my basic scan tool in case the light just isn’t working). After letting it sit, I was able to drive up and down the street a few times but it still wanted to die when coming to a stop and pushing the clutch in (It’s a manual).

I first thought bad gas since this happed after filling up and even threw some water remover in it, but that just doesn’t seem to be the case. After deciding to change the fuel filter and even the vapor canister purge valve, I drove up and down the street again. I was able to drive around the block without an issue along with letting it idle for a bit. After 5mins or so of idling I drove it again but once I got to the end of the street, it shut off and wouldn’t start back up.

This time I could hear whining noise from the back of the car when trying to start it and immediately thought the fuel pump must be the culprit. Got the car pushed back down to the house and ordered a fuel pump. Just installed it and was again able to drive around the block without and issues. I then let it idle again for like 5mins but then the car shut off in the driveway. I was able to keep starting it up, but it keeps dying after a few seconds of running.

Again no codes and idles fine, just keeps turning itself off after it’s been running a bit. Car showed no signs of issues before all this.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I feel like the fuel filter and fuel pump definitely needed changed, but now after changing them I’m confused why I’m still having issues?
Coils and plugs are what I would be looking at.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Does your model have an idle air control valve?
If it were plugs or coils it’d have trouble going down the road as well probably.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
I'd still suspect a fuel supply issue, but that is just a SWAG

Reactions: nathanneuma

·
Registered
381 Posts
You really need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what's happening. Your car uses a returnless fuel system, and uses a fuel pump driver to control the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Check the engine ground.

·
Registered
1996 Mustang Cobra Laser Red
148 Posts
When you fill up your gas tank do you try and squeeze as much in as you can? Like fill up the neck of the tube or do you stop on the first handle shut off?

If the fuel level is high enough, liquid fuel will be drawn into the canister that was designed to only handle vapors. When the computer commands the vapor canister to be purged into the engine, instead of fuel vapors, raw fuel is fed into the engine. This could stall the engine or possibly even worse, cause damage

Evaporative Control System

Problems occur when your fuel tank is overfilled and/or gas flows into the EVAP line. A defective refuel and/or fuel cutoff valve prevents fuel from flowing and the refuel valve triggers the gas pump to stop, causing the car to stall.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
yeah, good point, probably so
I’m thinking something like, dirty TB, bad IAC (if there is one), MAF or something like that since the motor is having trouble staying running at idle rpm. Maybe a clogged cat even.
Will it idle if you hold it around 1k rpm or so?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The clue here is that the car ran fine prior to filling up. I’m thinking his charcoal canister is full of liquid fuel.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Recently did plugs. I'm gonna go ahead and do coils now that you mention it since they probably need done anyways. Thanks!
Coils last a long time really. If they were messing up there’d be a misfire and you’d probably get a misfire code.
Will it stay running if you give it gas?

·
Registered
2007 Mustang Shelby GT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does your model have an idle air control valve?
If it were plugs or coils it’d have trouble going down the road as well probably.
IAC is something I would of thought but it doesn't have one since it's entirely electronic.

Coils last a long time really. If they were messing up there’d be a misfire and you’d probably get a misfire code.
Will it stay running if you give it gas?
Not getting a code in this situation is throwing me off. I'm going to get out and try a few things with it later. It seems to idle fine but it just turns itself off. Ill see if when it starts to turn off, if giving it gas keeps it going.

You really need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what's happening. Your car uses a returnless fuel system, and uses a fuel pump driver to control the fuel pressure.
I'll try to get a test on it this weekend and see what kind of pressure it's putting out. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Mustang Shelby GT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The clue here is that the car ran fine prior to filling up. I’m thinking his charcoal canister is full of liquid fuel.
What would cause it to get full of fuel?

When you fill up your gas tank do you try and squeeze as much in as you can? Like fill up the neck of the tube or do you stop on the first handle shut off?

If the fuel level is high enough, liquid fuel will be drawn into the canister that was designed to only handle vapors. When the computer commands the vapor canister to be purged into the engine, instead of fuel vapors, raw fuel is fed into the engine. This could stall the engine or possibly even worse, cause damage

Evaporative Control System

Problems occur when your fuel tank is overfilled and/or gas flows into the EVAP line. A defective refuel and/or fuel cutoff valve prevents fuel from flowing and the refuel valve triggers the gas pump to stop, causing the car to stall.
I always stop on the first shut off/click

Check the engine ground.
Ill check them soon. I believe mine being an s197 has one on the drivers side head to firewall and one on the passenger side motor mount.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some people top off the filler neck after the first shut off and you’re not supposed to for that reason. It can cause liquid gas to flow into the evap canister. If you didn’t do that then that may not be the problem. It is suspicious though that this problem presented itself after a fill up. I’d narrow my search to that first before replacing a bunch of parts.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I’m thinking something like, dirty TB, bad IAC (if there is one), MAF or something like that since the motor is having trouble staying running at idle rpm. Maybe a clogged cat even.
Will it idle if you hold it around 1k rpm or so?
The throttle body on the '05-'10 GT doesn't have an IAC valve. The blades stay slightly open at idle to provide a passage for airflow. If there are dirt deposits causing a partial obstruction to airflow you can experience an erratic idle, low idle, and even stalling problems. It's good preventive maintenance to remove the TB and clean it from the inside out at each engine oil change interval. Better still, install catch cans on both sides to trap oil vapours being scavenged from the crankcase. This will help to keep the intake system clean. If you ever remove the intake manifold, you'd be horrified at how quickly the charge motion control valves can get gummed up with black deposits.

That's a distinct possibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suspect a fuel delivery issue. When it dies, I would immediately go back and unscrew the Gas Cap and see if it is under vaccum. If so, it is a tank venting issue. Have seen these lines get pinched in accidents and other causes. A Fuel Pressure Gauge would help troubleshoot this problem. The Returnless System operates a bit differently than the traditional return type systems that many of us are familiar with. I believe the controller varies speed of the pump based on a demand curve in the computer. A pressure gauge should really help point you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts