Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 GT 80,000ish miles

20mins or so after filling up my tank, the car kept wanting to die when coming to a stop but I was luckily able to get it home.

Starts up fine, but it would just shut off on its own after idling for a bit. The idle seems smooth and there isn’t a check engine light (even checked for codes with my basic scan tool in case the light just isn’t working). After letting it sit, I was able to drive up and down the street a few times but it still wanted to die when coming to a stop and pushing the clutch in (It’s a manual).

I first thought bad gas since this happed after filling up and even threw some water remover in it, but that just doesn’t seem to be the case. After deciding to change the fuel filter and even the vapor canister purge valve, I drove up and down the street again. I was able to drive around the block without an issue along with letting it idle for a bit. After 5mins or so of idling I drove it again but once I got to the end of the street, it shut off and wouldn’t start back up.

This time I could hear whining noise from the back of the car when trying to start it and immediately thought the fuel pump must be the culprit. Got the car pushed back down to the house and ordered a fuel pump. Just installed it and was again able to drive around the block without and issues. I then let it idle again for like 5mins but then the car shut off in the driveway. I was able to keep starting it up, but it keeps dying after a few seconds of running.

Again no codes and idles fine, just keeps turning itself off after it’s been running a bit. Car showed no signs of issues before all this.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I feel like the fuel filter and fuel pump definitely needed changed, but now after changing them I’m confused why I’m still having issues?
Have you checked the fuel shut off sensor?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Used to happen with my wife's minivan. Fill it up, do down the street and stall. Wait a few minutes and it starts back up. Turned out there was a recall to fix the issue but it was years ago so don't quite remember what was fixed. Not sure what would be similar between these two vehicles but probably a similar part.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Have you scanned the ECU for fault codes?

·
Registered
2007 Mustang Shelby GT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry for the late response, been a busy week but it has been fixed!

So after everyone's suggestions here's what I did.

• Checked the two engine grounds which were fine. (passenger side motor mount and driver side back of head)
  • Changed the coils. (new red ones look much nicer haha)
  • Pulled the vapor canister and while it didn't have liquid fuel in it, I noticed the vapor canister vent solenoid super rusted, so I replaced that.
  • While beginning to check fuel pressure I ended up finding one of the injectors was not working properly so I swapped it out.
  • Did go ahead and clean the mass air flow sensor along with getting a new intake filter since the one I had looking shabby. (cold air intake)

After all that the car idled fine but still ended up dying after idling for 5mins or so.
While sitting in the car the idle seem fairly smooth but when the ac compressor kicked on, the rpms moved a little so I started moving the windows up and down and then I turned on the radio and the car died. Turned the car back on with the ac off and the radio off and it idled fine again. Went to turn on the headlights and bingo! the car instantly died. I knew it was now definitely an electric issue.

Battery and alternator were fine so I went to see what else would cause the car to instantly die... noticed turning on the blinkers or honking the horn would also kill it. So went to check the wiring that connects the horn, front blinkers and headlights. There are two grounds side by side on the passenger side, right in the front of the car which didn't appear too terrible looking but once I took them out the inside threads were pretty rusted. Clean them all up and mounted them back. Turned on the car and flicked the headlights on... presto! turned on no problems. All the lights and the horn worked and was able to let the car idle for 20 mins and drive around the block multiple times!

While I definitely know the two front wiring harness grounds were probably the main issues in this case, I'm still 100% certain of these...

- fuel filter was clogged and dirty when I replaced it in the beginning.

- after changing the fuel filter and going for a drive, when the car died on me and wouldn't start up the fuel pump started to whine.

- the vapor canister vent solenoid was so rusted there's no way it was working properly.

- one injector was dirty/not working properly.

- obviously the two grounds I cleaned were not getting good contact.

And again the original issues started happening like 20mins after I got gas lol. Maybe all a coincidence, who knows.

Anyways thanks to all of your suggestions, they all led me to fix something that was wrong lol.

Hopefully this can help anyone else who comes across these problems!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts