Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, yesterday i put a new clutch kit in my 'stang and now i have a vibration that comes in at about 2500 rpm and seems to get worse. it occurs around the same rpm regardless of what gear i'm in. could i have installed the clutch wrong or is this probably just something that my totally shot throwout bearing was hiding before?

thanks
bb

·
Registered
235 Posts
its possible your bad bearing could have scuffed thhe input shaft, Did you have your fly wheel resurfaced? If not, that could be the problem.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
A simple clutch swap should not cause a vibration by itself unless you left a bolt out or didn't tighten them properly. You didn't have the vibration before the swap? Did you index the driveshaft before removing it? By indexing I am talking about marking the driveshaft itself and the rear end pinion so that when you re-install the driveshaft, you put it back on in the original position. You may try unbolting the driveshaft, turning it 180* and bolting it back up and see if the vibration went away.

Richard

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did you index the driveshaft before removing it? By indexing I am talking about marking the driveshaft itself and the rear end pinion so that when you re-install the driveshaft, you put it back on in the original position. You may try unbolting the driveshaft, turning it 180* and bolting it back up and see if the vibration went away.

Richard
what he said ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Spin it in Neutral
Spin it with the clutch in
If the vibration is NOT present, it's after the clutch.

Caution... it's not necessary to rev it very high. Just try to duplicate your vibration at the same rpm.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the quick responses, i'll go try out what you said.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
When reading, I was thinking what rj said.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i revved it in neutral and with the clutch in and it had the same vibration no matter what, so that rules out the driveshaft, right?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
well, i revved it in neutral and with the clutch in and it had the same vibration no matter what, so that rules out the driveshaft, right?

Yes, the driveshaft is not the culprit. I would focus on the flywheel and or clutch. Possible a bolt left out of the pressure plate or cam loose of the flywheel is out of balance.
I didn't read where you changed the flywheel, did you? Did you get it re-surfaced? Did the pressure plate line up directly to the mounting holes in the flywheel? are you certain you installed all 6 bolts in the pressure plate and the dowel pins? Did you torque them all down equally?
I have even seen a broken harmonic balancer do the same thing. Check that while you're at it.

Richard

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the flywheel was resurfaced, but i don't remember seeing any dowel pins for the pressure plate.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
the flywheel was resurfaced, but i don't remember seeing any dowel pins for the pressure plate.

This is a 5.0 motor right? The 5.0 motor uses a metric set of bolts(6 of them) and 3 dowel pins to locate the pressure plate on the flywheel. If you did not use the dowel pins, the pressure plate cannot be centered up on the flywheel and that will cause a vibration.
An old school style flywheel and clutch kit uses a shoulder bolt to cnter the pressure plate on the flywheel and also uses a standard thread bolt.
The correct bolt kit(including the pins) can be found at most part stores and Summit or we even sell them as well. The correct part number is M6397A302. That is a Ford Motor Sports part number. If that is not what you used, I can pretty much guarantee you that is the problem.

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.