Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 18 x 9's put on 2 days ago. I dont drive the vehicle much due to city livin'. Yesterday I noticed the steering wheel vibrating at around 55-60mph. When I called the tire shop to tell them about it they said to bring it back in because no one took it for a test drive before I got the vehicle back. WTF.
Nearly 1K in tires and the freakin guy couldnt take it for a test drive. Then he said to me that the right rear rim was bent and they put it on anyway. What kinda line of s*** am I getting here. Should I give the tire guy a chance or bring it somewhere else?
Would a bent rim fit onto the tire properly? Would this cause vibrations in ther STEERING wheels? ARGHHHHHH!!!! I just wanna do 100 without shaking myself apart like the Enterprise.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A long time back, I put aftermarket rims on my '65 Mustang. Took it home and had the same problem you're experiencing. I experienced the vibrating mostly while braking. The problem I had was that the rims didn't seat properly on the drums. When the yo-yos torqued down the rims, they warped the drums. The drums had to be re-surfaced true. A couple of weights on the outside of the drums prevented the rims from seating flat. Those were removed and then evrything was fine.

In your case, I think the problem is that the rims are not properly balanced. The tires and rims need to be spinned balanced. But, it is possible that the rim is bent. If they give you a new one and the problem goes away, problem solved. Of course, I would be questioning the quality of these rims if you're getting 'out-of-round' rims right from the factory.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Haz. That sucks! Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't you get those rims from Mustang Tuning? I was looking at the same ones, but decided against it due to everything I've been reading about the spacer issue. I wasn't about to plunk down a bunch $$$ and then have to use a spacer to compinsate for poor engineering. Since that was a pretty huge oversight by the manufacture, I started questioning the overall quality. I ended up going with ROH Drift Rs.

If it's truly out of round, I'd send them all back and ask for a full refund.

In any case, the best of luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
First stick your old ones back on the front, then test drive it. Most the time this is caused by tires. However, are the rims hub centric? Are you using the proper lug nut with the 60* seat? If the wheel on the back is bent, you won't feel it thru the steering wheel, but thru seat/butt connection. Most rotational imbalance in the front will be felt in the floor board by your feet.

I'm dealing with this problem right now. The dealer did a 'road force balance', but I couldn't tell that they had even been off the car. I'm going to rotate them this weekend and see what happens. If it's still there they will be getting some new tires.

Pls keep us informed, I was looking at some of the same wheels for mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is 2 or 3 little washers that are on the studs that help to retain the rotors. If you look on the back of the stock wheels, you'll see an indentation to allow for those washers. Your new wheels don't allow for those washers. You have to take those retainers/washers off and your vibration will disappear.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
redbullet said:
Any update to your problem?
Brought them back to the tire place (STS Tires) once last week. They re-balanced the tires and added the lug nuts that I was shorted by Mustang Tuning. Torqued to 110 ft. lbs. Still have a minor vibration at arond 60mph. I called them to tell them and I have a second appt. on Monday. They've been real good about service so far. Added strut tower cap kit in polished aluminum. When I bought them I didnt think they would be worth the $$$90.00. But they are excellent quality and look great. Ill let you know how I make out on Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
'M R spiffy. The do enhance the appearence w/o being too overpowering. I know the tires are directional, but for chits and grins, try swapping the fronts left to right and see what happens to the vibration.

For clarity, this vibration is a left/right shaking in the steering wheel? If so, this is a shimmy. I only bring this up because the two are different and it needs to be addressed as a shimmy in case you continue to have this problem.

Do the lug nuts have a wide shank where it seats on the wheel, or a narrow seat, typical of most a/m tuner type lug nuts. And does the wheel have a factory type seat for the lugs?

One way to determine if the lug nuts are compatible w/the wheel is to snug the wheel by hand using a star pattern and watch for movement of the wheel as you tighten them. I have seen some wheels that moved and had to be seated to get them true to the flange. Kind'a like the old shank style uni-lug. Where you had to jostle the wheel to get everything lined up with all the shanks.

Also, are these wheels "hub centric"?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brought the rims to the dealership yesterday. Had them check the shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel. They said that the spacers are causing the problem. When you look at the spacers they have oblong shaped holes that fit over the studs on the axle. The studs are round and there is too much "play" in the oblong holes. This causes the wheels to "wooble".??? So now Im looking for spacers that snugly fit onto the studs. Dont know if Id recommend these rims to anyone. A little more thought should of went into the design from Mustang Tuning.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is the spacer hub centric? Or the wheel? I see on their website that they say a spacer is needed. Finding a direct fitting spacer shouldn't be a problem. I'm concerned that they just looked at the spacer and condenmed them. Having the weight so close to the hub makes me want to look elsewhere. But for the cost of the spacers, it's worth trying.

If you still have your old wheels and tires, put the spacers on and then the stock wheels and drive it to see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
Brought the rims to the dealership yesterday. Had them check the shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel. They said that the spacers are causing the problem. When you look at the spacers they have oblong shaped holes that fit over the studs on the axle. The studs are round and there is too much "play" in the oblong holes. This causes the wheels to "wooble".??? So now Im looking for spacers that snugly fit onto the studs. Dont know if Id recommend these rims to anyone. A little more thought should of went into the design from Mustang Tuning.
do what 169 stang. I had the exact same problem when I purchased aftermarket wheels, they even replaced my wheels and right after a young mechanic simply cut off the washers, or clips and the car is vibration free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts