Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nitto 555R's were not up to the task of a hot, slick track a couple weeks ago, but she did OK anyways.

Stock engine Bullitt, suspension, 4.30's and a little weight loss..... :laugh:

YouTube - ‪'01 Bullitts Racing‬‏

·
Registered
386 Posts
Great runs. For being a stock engine you really make that mustang run strong. Nice driving:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
looks like you're not quite on my level yet:heha:
just kidding good runs man. it would be a damn good race if we lined up.

EDIT: ^^^ that was before I saw the 12.41
DOUBLE EDIT: wait was the 12.41 and 12.35 you? it looks like i that bullet was blue but i can't tell the color difference. the rims looked different though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
**** man did i read that right? u ran a 12.35 at the end?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the other Bullitt on Nitrous. His is True Blue.

The wheels are the big giveaway. He has Bullitts, mine are polished aluminum. 12.57 was my best time N/A.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Still impressive for you saying you couldint get your tires to stick. congrats man:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Solid #'s Rich, looks like she's running really strong:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, she's running strong, now if I can get her to hook, I'll be in the money.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great looking runs, especially for a stock engine. Maybe to help with the traction issue it looks like you could almost use a little more time warming up your tires, but not much more. It def helped me out when I went to the track last month.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It didn't matter out there, the track was so slick. The 2nd run, which ended up being my fastest 60ft time, I couldn't get them to even smoke, so I gave up and pulled up to the line......... :laugh:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nice passes Bullitt, you've almost got a full second on me, haha. All I could muster this past weekend was a 13.38 @ 107 with a 2.1 60 ft. The track here was a little slick too, best traction was had launching at about 1,000 rpms, not to mention I run out of 4th gear (and had to shift to avoid hitting the limiter) about 2-3 car lengths before the traps. So lesson learned, tires need to be taller and stickier. Again, great passes Bullitt, when you get traction that's going to be quite the ride.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Nice passes Bullitt, you've almost got a full second on me, haha. All I could muster this past weekend was a 13.38 @ 107 with a 2.1 60 ft. The track here was a little slick too, best traction was had launching at about 1,000 rpms, not to mention I run out of 4th gear (and had to shift to avoid hitting the limiter) about 2-3 car lengths before the traps. So lesson learned, tires need to be taller and stickier. Again, great passes Bullitt, when you get traction that's going to be quite the ride.
You're better off raising the rev limiter and pushing it a bit harder in 4th.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not seeing how you run out of gear with 3.73's at 107mph trap speeds, even with stock size tires.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm not seeing how you run out of gear with 3.73's at 107mph trap speeds, even with stock size tires.
Wish I knew. The only things that I can figure might be doing it is that the GT500 wheels/tires are about 1/4" shorter than the OEM's (285-40 rears are 27" compared to the 27.25" 235-50's), and I'm shifting at 6,600 rpms versus right at 7,000. Maybe that's why I'm coming up short?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 4.30's with a 28" tire, which would be like running 3.90's with a 26" tire, so probably close to 4.10 with a 27" tire, and I shift at 6000 and only go through the traps at 5600-5700rpm at 108mph.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, it has a Cobra 31 spline diff and 31 spline axles in it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have 4.30's with a 28" tire, which would be like running 3.90's with a 26" tire, so probably close to 4.10 with a 27" tire, and I shift at 6000 and only go through the traps at 5600-5700rpm at 108mph.
Sorry, brain cramp on my part. The tranny gear ratios are different, your 4th is 1:1 and my 4th is 1.32:1, I bet that's the reason. I'm thinking that if I throw a set of 28" DR's on the back it should take care of it.

I plan to bump the shift point up a little and tinker with the launch technique (before buying DR's) to try to gain some traction and the ground/distance that comes with it first.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sorry, brain cramp on my part. The tranny gear ratios are different, your 4th is 1:1 and my 4th is 1.32:1, I bet that's the reason. I'm thinking that if I throw a set of 28" DR's on the back it should take care of it.

I plan to bump the shift point up a little and tinker with the launch technique (before buying DR's) to try to gain some traction and the ground/distance that comes with it first.
A few guys at my track just raise the redline on the 5.0s to make the 1/4 in 4th.

·
Registered
997 Posts
A few guys at my track just raise the redline on the 5.0s to make the 1/4 in 4th.
Yeah, bumping the rev limiter would take care of it, but I'm only going to tune it if I put a S/C on it someday. I just can't see dropping the $$ on a tuner now, then spending more money on a dyno tune when/if the blower goes on. That and I'm not crazy about the idea of messing with the electronics on a brand new car, lol. If I can't stretch it out far enough with gaining traction then I'll just go with a 28" diameter drag radial, I know that will do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts