Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 66 coupe a couple of weeks ago and have been restoring as much as I can afford, It has a new paint job back to it's original, I took it to the Mustang Ranch here in Washington and had a new Fuel tank and sending unit it installed. The owner of the Mustang Ranch made a comment on the Door plate that the door had probably been replaced and the metal plate was there but attached with different fasteners than factory, which is fine because it matches the Vin on the title, my question is I think they replaced the dash pad and the Vin#plate is not there; could it be underneath and if it is'nt can I have a new one made? Also who has the best reproduction steering wheels in Aqua, Thank's for any help/suggestions. Marty

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm. We replaced the dashpad on my 66 coupe a couple of summers ago...I don't believe there is a VIN plate on the dash; only the plate on the door.

Seems I was correct. Looks like they added it to the dash in 1969...http://www.classicmustang.com/history_rev.htm "New features for 69 included quad headlights, front parking lights were now located behind the front valance panel, new quarter panel ornaments, side scoops and integral rear spoiler on the SportsRoof models, front seat back locks, and for the first time, the VIN number, in addition to being located on the driver's door, was also attached to the instrument panel, and visible through the windshield."

Also, I bought the replacement steering wheel for my coupe from a company called KAR here in Columbus, Ohio: http://www.karmustang.com. It was about $180. However, this place is a little closer to you (California - shipping may be less) and are selling them for $173.50: http://www.cal-mustang.com/

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No VIN on the dash. Only on the striker side of the driver's door and on the driver's fender under the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, for the Info.

Thank you both for the information, this car is starting to come togather, I paid $4,800 for the car and it's in pretty good shape, the person had it painted and new mustang hubcaps, and a new CD player, but for all the money he put into it he never did much for the actual running condition, new tires coming, tune up is done, the distributor is froze, this weekends project, new carb coming from Pony Carb, new gas tank and sending unit on (last weekends project) new belt and hoses done (The heater hoses were original and badly cracking), the door locks did'nt work, after a $100.00 to the locksmith they work now, another project is to get the back windows working properly, also duel exhaust off the one pipe is done. Sounds good for the Six in it. Anyway sorry for the long post and Thank's again Marty in wet Washington.

·
Registered
85 Posts
marty robbins said:
Thank you both for the information, this car is starting to come togather, I paid $4,800 for the car and it's in pretty good shape, the person had it painted and new mustang hubcaps, and a new CD player, but for all the money he put into it he never did much for the actual running condition, new tires coming, tune up is done, the distributor is froze, this weekends project, new carb coming from Pony Carb, new gas tank and sending unit on (last weekends project) new belt and hoses done (The heater hoses were original and badly cracking), the door locks did'nt work, after a $100.00 to the locksmith they work now, another project is to get the back windows working properly, also duel exhaust off the one pipe is done. Sounds good for the Six in it. Anyway sorry for the long post and Thank's again Marty in wet Washington.
Not trying to be smart, but how did you do a tune, if the distributer is frozen? You will also need to retune after the new carby aswell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.