Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)The 5 means it's a 65 model car,the F means it was built in Dearborn,Michigan,the 07 meas it's a coupe,the T means it came with a 200cid 6cyl and the 374458 is the sequential production number.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Veronica, I knew you could help.. The car now has a 289, how would I go about finding out what year it is. Also, I was talking to a friend about maybe putting a 302 in the car.. He suggested a 302 out of a explorer over the mustang, besides the mustangs (302) possible abuse, do you know the reason the explorer 302 would be better? He told me what it was, but just wanted to see if you knew the same info....Thanks again for the vin# details...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Veronica, I meant to ask also, is there any way of telling if the 3 speed currently in the car is factory... Thanks again...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pardon the mild sarcasm, but considering that few people actually _upgrade_ to a three-speed transmission, I'm guessing that the chances are pretty good that it's stock. :)

If you're dieing to know, there's no way to know if it's the actual honest-to-God transmission the car was built with (though the chances are probably pretty good), but you can find out if it had a 3-speed manual when it was built. There's a set of numbers under the VIN code on the warrantee plate that will tell you. Find those and post them and Veronica or I can get you the info.

As far as what year the engine was built, Veronica may know, but I don't... I'm not sure if there _is_ a way to find out, but I do know they only made the 289 from 1963 until 1968.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:)If you pull the starter you will see a casting number and a date code on the side of the block.The date code will be in the format of,for example,6H19,which would be aug 19 of 66.There is also a date code on the intake manifold in the same format.Also,if you pull the valve covers there will be one on the top of the cylinder heads.It is quite possible that the car came with a 3-speed,since the decision to get a 6cyl was usually made for money reasons,but the 3-speeds that the 6s came with was different from the 260/289 cars in a lot of ways.One is that the input shaft was different.A 6cyl cars 3-speed won't work on a V8.Rather than do the costly work of making a flimsier tranny work,most folks just get the V8 3-speed that the owner was tickled pink to get 50 bucks for and use it instead.As far as the later model 302 goes,a 4 year old block is less prone to go south on you than a 40 year old block.You would have to plug the EGR ports on the heads,but a mid to late 80s H.O.302 works very well in a 65 Mustang.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again yall for the info. Veronica, the info on the difference between the mustang 302 and the explorer 302 I was asking about was the heads. explorer 302 around 97-98 have the gt40, gt40p heads that I was told were
better than those on the mus. gts. besides the abuse or "curiosity" the gts go through I believe the explorer 302 might be more reliable. By the way, Im having a body paint stripping and sanding party at the house this weekend, yall are welcome to stop by....free beer :eyebulge: . Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sweet Seattle Sunsets, Veronica! Is there anything you _don't_ know about Mustangs??? :worship

As to your offer, Volzz, much as I'd love to, I'm stuffin' the 302 back in my Grand Marquis this weekend. :) Whereabouts do ya live, anyway?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) Why,thank you,Ninjamobile.That is very sweet of you.But the truth is that the sheer volume of what I don't know about Mustangs would horribly dwarf the couple of things that I have sort of figured out about them.I do ok on the 65/66 cars but that's about it.That's one of the many things that I love about this hobby.There's always so much more to learn.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.