Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just joined this forum...I'm not yet an owner, but I've been a mustang enthusiast for as longs as I can remember...

I now am in the market to buy...My dream mustang is and will always be the 1970 Boss 302. However reality is that I will not likely ever be able to afford that so, I have alternate choices...

I live in the Greater Toronto Area and lately I've been eying a few '67 or '68's. Before I buy I seek some advice from fellow mustang enthusiasts.

I am curious to know what types of issues/concerns on the cars I should be looking for when inspecting cars? Basically the know problem areas on these.
Greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think a basic question that needs to be answered is what your plans for the car are? If you are looking for a daily driver versus an occasional weekend driver, versus a trailered show car, this will impact what you need to look for. As usual, be on the lookout for rust issues (there is always some, sometimes lots) and try to assess the basic soundness mechanically. I'd stay away from cars that have obviously been modified a lot, because there's no way to tell if the work is well done, or just looks good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree that rust is enemy number one. Most metal parts can be replaces, if you are looking a a vehicle that will need restoration. The frame rail is critical. Look carefully at the entire frame rail because if its rusted badly you will really be up against a wall. I learned this klfrom experience with my 66 Convertible. I had to take it down to the ground to restore it. If it hadn't been a GT I would have junked it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pull the carpets up under the dash all the way back to the front seats. Also...the cowl is often a rusticle (and expensive to repair). Take a couple of gallons of water and rapidly pour it into the grill at the base of the windshield. Then take a flashlight and look and feel for water under the dash board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.