Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good cleaning and coorporative weather today allowed me to take some shots of the stang with the new rear blackout and the GT takeoff exhaust that I intatlled this last weekend. What do you all think, you like it with the blackout or without?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
vistapony said:
A good cleaning and coorporative weather today allowed me to take some shots of the stang with the new rear blackout and the GT takeoff exhaust that I intatlled this last weekend. What do you all think, you like it with the blackout or without?
See my post for the new rear blackout. I think you will like it better.
click here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
I'm still deciding if I like that blackout piece. I like the regular blackout because it shows the recess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
vistapony said:
A good cleaning and coorporative weather today allowed me to take some shots of the stang with the new rear blackout and the GT takeoff exhaust that I intatlled this last weekend. What do you all think, you like it with the blackout or without?

I like it! Did the Gt exhaust make a diff? My wife is getting the pony package V6 and I have a set of take off GT mufflers that I want to put on it...is it worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitl worth it Mach! Once you get it bolted up you will be amazed at the sound difference between the GT and the stock 6 exhaust!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I really like your car. The blackout panel and the GT muffler really compliment the Pony package! On the other hand, I don't like the honeycomb panel in the picture Stangcuba98a posted. Sometimes less is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
rgensemer said:
I really like your car. The blackout panel and the GT muffler really compliment the Pony package! On the other hand, I don't like the honeycomb panel in the picture Stangcuba98a posted. Sometimes less is better.
It is not for everyone but it compliments my 70 mach 1 tribute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
stangscuba98a said:
It is not for everyone but it compliments my 70 mach 1 tribute.
As you know, when you ask for opinions in this forum, you're gonna get you fair share. Personally, I believe that "whatever spins your crank" is good for you. The remainder of you car is awesome!.
One thing. You state your car is a tribute to the 1970 Mach 1: I'm old enough to remember that the Mach's that had blackout panels (not all had them) were flat black. The Honeycomb was not introduced until 1971 to the best of my recollection. If I am wrong, I know I'll be corrected. At least you paid homage to the original Mach 1, not the travesty Ford brought back in 2003. Anyhow, good luck in your endeavor, she's a beauty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
rgensemer said:
As you know, when you ask for opinions in this forum, you're gonna get you fair share. Personally, I believe that "whatever spins your crank" is good for you. The remainder of you car is awesome!.
One thing. You state your car is a tribute to the 1970 Mach 1: I'm old enough to remember that the Mach's that had blackout panels (not all had them) were flat black. The Honeycomb was not introduced until 1971 to the best of my recollection. If I am wrong, I know I'll be corrected. At least you paid homage to the original Mach 1, not the travesty Ford brought back in 2003. Anyhow, good luck in your endeavor, she's a beauty!
Thanks for the compliments and like I said it's not for everyone just like the V6 4.0 badge.....but the honeycomb was on the 70 model Mach 1. Look on my post half way down and there is a picture of a blue 70 Mach. click here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
vistapony said:
Definitl worth it Mach! Once you get it bolted up you will be amazed at the sound difference between the GT and the stock 6 exhaust!
thanks! thats what I wanted to hear...it will be done :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
You're dead on right rgensemer. That large honeycomb blackout didnt come out til the 71 mach 1. I bought one in Oct. of 70. Was an awful color. Grabber Lime green with white interior. And i ordered it that way. Traded it in for a bright orange 76 vette.

But the 70 mach had a smaller type pattern blackout too. I'm a big fan of the black out panels. i think it makes the cars look wider. So i like the flat and the honeycomb.
Great job there stangscuba98a. your car looks awesome.
As does yours vistapony. Love what you're doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
005 GT said:
You're dead on right rgensemer. That large honeycomb blackout didnt come out til the 71 mach 1.
Thanks for confirming I haven't Totally lost my memory. I do remember that awful Grabber Green color. I think the the only thing uglier was that god awful butterscotch color. I'm thinking those '70 Mach's stangcuba98a referenced had aftermarket panels as those are nothing new, they've been available for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Hey vistapony, who manufactures the blackout panel that you installed? How does it install? The black looks really good against the dark blue color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
yeah rgensemer.....you may be right about the black-outs being aftermarket. seems i remember them being a small octagon pattern.

and yes.....i had forgotten all about that butterscotch color. we used to call it baby**** brown. lol....how could i forget. That Grabber Lime Green looked good on paper. but it wore on ya real fast. I'd still love to have that car back. and i traded in a beautiful yellow 70 cougar for that mach 1. now im back to yellow. I love this Screaming Yellow. Its very fitting for this mustang. great taste you have there rgensemer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
stangscuba98a said:
Thanks for the compliments and like I said it's not for everyone just like the V6 4.0 badge.....but the honeycomb was on the 70 model Mach 1. Look on my post half way down and there is a picture of a blue 70 Mach. click here
Thanks again. You're right, the 4.0 emblem isn't for everyone - even me! I forgot all about that gallery photo and your comment reminded me to update my gallery photos. I've long since replaced the 4.0 emblem with something more definitive. I think those pictures you referenced of a '70 Mach 1 have aftermarket blackout panels. I went to the Mach1 history page on the web and it confirmed the Honeycomb panels were one of the changes for the '71 Mach 1. Still, like I said, it's "whatever spins your crank."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
005 GT said:
yeah rgensemer.....you may be right about the black-outs being aftermarket. seems i remember them being a small octagon pattern.

and yes.....i had forgotten all about that butterscotch color. we used to call it baby**** brown. lol....how could i forget. That Grabber Lime Green looked good on paper. but it wore on ya real fast. I'd still love to have that car back. and i traded in a beautiful yellow 70 cougar for that mach 1. now im back to yellow. I love this Screaming Yellow. Its very fitting for this new mustang. great taste you have there rgensemer.
Ah, great minds think alike. I gotta tell you though, that in my wildest dreams I never saw myself, at my age driving a YELLOW 'Stang. When I decided to buy a new Mustang, I had my pick of any color as they had a couple of each, but that Screaming Yellow grabbed me and you know how that story ended.I bet your new GT is beautiful and you love driving it. I think Screaming Yellow defines the new Mustang. You're right on the Baby**** brown, gosh that was a terrible color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
rgensemer said:
Thanks again. You're right, the 4.0 emblem isn't for everyone - even me! I forgot all about that gallery photo and your comment reminded me to update my gallery photos. I've long since replaced the 4.0 emblem with something more definitive. I think those pictures you referenced of a '70 Mach 1 have aftermarket blackout panels. I went to the Mach1 history page on the web and it confirmed the Honeycomb panels were one of the changes for the '71 Mach 1. Still, like I said, it's "whatever spins your crank."
Your research is off as it was not an option and was standard on the 70 Mach's. Does not matter or needs to be argued since my car is inspired by a 70 and this is from the Mach registry website...The Mach 1 for 1970 was clearly different, with its headlamps moved inside the Ferrari-style grille mouth. Gone were the quarter-panel sidescoops. A honeycomb tailpanel gave the Mach 1 new depth. Flanking the tailpanel were deeply pocketed three-element taillights. Ford’s bean counters went to work on the ’70 Mach 1, deleting standard styled steel wheels and replacing them with sport wheel covers instead. Wide Oval Firestones put the rubber to the road. Groovy Mach 1 graphics for 1970 included finned argent panels that ran from fender to quarter, protecting the paint and dressing up the body. Inside, the ’70 Mach 1 was virtually the same as the ’69, the exception being a locking steering column mandated by federal law.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
stangscuba98a said:
Your research is off as it was not an option and was standard on the 70 Mach's. Does not matter or needs to be argued since my car is inspired by a 70 and this is from the Mach registry website...The Mach 1 for 1970 was clearly different, with its headlamps moved inside the Ferrari-style grille mouth. Gone were the quarter-panel sidescoops. A honeycomb tailpanel gave the Mach 1 new depth. Flanking the tailpanel were deeply pocketed three-element taillights. Ford’s bean counters went to work on the ’70 Mach 1, deleting standard styled steel wheels and replacing them with sport wheel covers instead. Wide Oval Firestones put the rubber to the road. Groovy Mach 1 graphics for 1970 included finned argent panels that ran from fender to quarter, protecting the paint and dressing up the body. Inside, the ’70 Mach 1 was virtually the same as the ’69, the exception being a locking steering column mandated by federal law.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one as I believe my research is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
rgensemer said:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one as I believe my research is correct.

Did you actually do research? Sorry but go here. 1970 Mustang Mach 1 World Registry

Click on Mach 1 options and equipment and click on STANDARD EQUIPMENT and you will find.... Black honeycomb rear panel applique,

I also owned one that was brand new ordered from the factory that my dad bought new. :)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top