Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should my voltmeter be bouncing when checking my TPS setting. It reads 0.976 then drops to 0.897 then climbs to 1.09 then kind of settles at 0.976 but never holds. Car will not hold its idle at 1000 rpm? It starts at 1500 drops to about 1000 then kicks down to about 650 and wants to die. 87 5.0 aluminum heads, cam, roller rockers mac intake tube to trickflow top end.

·
Registered
614 Posts
mine did that and I replaced the TPS and it still did it. Try replacing the IAC, and see if that solves your problem.

Drew

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
You are checking the TPS with the car off right?
It should change not between +/- 0.01v . Sounds like your sensor is either bad or the ground not that great.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I never checked my TPS voltage. I know mine did what your idle was doing and the IAC is what fixed that. But what GhostDog said could also be your problem. I recommend changing the TPS first, it is roughly 25-30 dollars. If it fixes it it is a lot cheaper than the IAC which runs around $70.

Good Luck

Drew

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The volt meter he is referring to is the actual voltage meter he is testing with, not the one inside the dash. :thumbup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Yeah the car was off with the key in the prestart position. Replaced the TPS and I am getting a steady reading. Thanks guys.:grinroll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
.....my tps was like 3 bucks, is that a crappy oneor something?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.