Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy, hoping you can help. I'm working on my Wife's 67 coupe (I6 car converted to a 289 by a previous owner). Here's the deal, it needed a new alternator, so I bought one a few months back, yanked it off, and then it sat (got distracted by my other projects). I started putting it back together yesterday, and I can't remember where this one yellow wire I found is supposed to hookup at. Looking at a 67 diagram tells me that the wire goes back into the main harness. However, I seem to remember it being connected to the sta post on the alternator, which is more like a 65 harness, I left the wire routed the way it was when I took it apart so it would be easier to remember. Can anybody help? I am not a wiring noob, but I am a first gen noob. It is the single yellow wire second from the top.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know that, I'm talking about third wire from the bottom that is yellow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking at the starting/charging wiring diagram for the 67', that wire is not even there. I know for a fact that it is there on my 67' coupe. I had a real hard time figuring out my charging wiring when I had to deal with it on mine and neither the Haynes manual or the diagram thread on this forum fixed my problems. Finally I found a charging diagram in an old volt/dwell/tachometer manual from the 60's that just so happened to be labeled 'Mustang' and I haven't had an electrical issue since.

I lost that manual but I will trace my wires tomorrow when the sun comes up and let you know where they all go. Hopefully mine is stock 67' and will work for yours instead of some nightmare hackjob put together by the DPO that I just so happened to figure out.

I'll post again tomorrow if you haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So my voltage regulator is not exactly the same as yours. My condenser wire comes out on the third terminal not the first and I don't know if it makes a difference. Here is a diagram of my voltage regulator, alternator, and starter relay and the diagram I pulled out of the Haynes manual.

Also, I included a photo of the same alternator that I have to show wire mounting locations.

I believe that the wire in question should attach on the alternator at location B.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol Every diagram is different. I thought it went to the STA post. Isn't "B" just a ground?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, still doesn't seem to match what I got. This is the alt, and I think the yellow wire connects to the STA post (circled). I'm also thinking that the wiring has been monkey up at some point since this yellow wire is much newer then the others, and isn't loomed in with the rest of the harness.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Here is the standard wiring for an alternator/reg. Pay no attention to colors on this diagram, just location. Voltage reg should be marked I,S,A,F. Just trace the wires.
They may be routed differently, but connections will be the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the standard wiring for an alternator/reg. Pay no attention to colors on this diagram, just location. Voltage reg should be marked I,S,A,F. Just trace the wires.
They may be routed differently, but connections will be the same.
Thanks, I'll pull the VR and see if I can find the markings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure enough, went to pull the VR and noticed the plug has the markings on it. The yellow wire goes to the STA post on the alt like I thought. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts