Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of buying a supercharger in the next year or so but i dnt know which one i should choose. both are great but i wanna hear wat u awsome people say.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well I love my KB more than anything and I if I had to go back and do it over I wouldnt even consider another blower. But thats cus I like the low end torque, thats all I wanted out of it. The crazy take off speed if too much fun, and I love the scream from it too. The twin screw is low end power and the Vortech makes its peak at the higher rpm. Dont get me wrong, Vortech is a nice product and your car will make some nice numbers with one on there, its just the KB is more for me.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Well I love my KB more than anything and I if I had to go back and do it over I wouldnt even consider another blower. But thats cus I like the low end torque, thats all I wanted out of it. The crazy take off speed if too much fun, and I love the scream from it too. The twin screw is low end power and the Vortech makes its peak at the higher rpm. Dont get me wrong, Vortech is a nice product and your car will make some nice numbers with one on there, its just the KB is more for me.
I have the KB's little brother the Saleen Series IV with the Lysholm 1.6L twinscrew blower. I wouldn't buy a centri after getting used to all the low end tire frying torque. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
im gong back to the dyno tomorrow with my new coils and ill make sure to let you know how my centri set up treats me on the way home.:happyhapp

but it really is all about preference.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Give a look at the Ford Racing(Whipple). I love mine to death, great low end torque. I made 463hp at the rear wheels on the dyno. The best feature is the tune or program. It is rich enough to be safe at a good level of boost and runs clean and crisp. The mapping was done by the engineer who mapped the Ford GT. This is according to Art Whipple. I have corrected issues with two of these that had custom tunes done instead of the Whipple software. I look like a genius to these guys and I just hooked them up with the right software. I have over 12000 miles on mine without an issue.

·
Registered
413 Posts
KB

I have a Vortech T on mine, its very nice, sounds NASTY when its at idle, dont have the twin screw whine up threw the Rsss though ( I wish). If I had the money to do over I would go with a KB. I like the low end power too!!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have 111,000 miles on my stock longblock and 32,000+ of that has been with my twinscrew blower. I have been running the 9# pulley for about 17,000 miles. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
im gong back to the dyno tomorrow with my new coils and ill make sure to let you know how my centri set up treats me on the way home.:happyhapp

but it really is all about preference.
Post those #'s when you get them. Hope the coils solve your issue.:happydance:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
a couple people probably will hate me. BUT. i say vortech or maybe paxton novi 2000. Depending what you want. KB blowers dont make the most power. but they give you damn good hp/trq at low rpm bands... centrifigul blowers give you power like turbos in a way. more rpm more boost. paxton novi has 1000hp max output with 32psi boost. kb 2.6 i think only maxes to 950 or 750.. just my .02.. dont hate please ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
a couple people probably will hate me. BUT. i say vortech or maybe paxton novi 2000. Depending what you want. KB blowers dont make the most power. but they give you damn good hp/trq at low rpm bands... centrifigul blowers give you power like turbos in a way. more rpm more boost. paxton novi has 1000hp max output with 32psi boost. kb 2.6 i think only maxes to 950 or 750.. just my .02.. dont hate please ;)
And who really needs a thousand horsepower on a street car? Besides, there isn't a street legal tire that can handle anywhere near that kind of power reliably without getting shredded.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
like i said each has their own advantages. centris have the possibility of insane boost numbers but you will never get it all at low rpms like the positive displacements. like i said before it really just comes down to what your preference is.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I like the centrifigul chargers, but thats just me and to each is own. I have rode in a stang with a twin screw and one with a novi 1000. The twin screw had it in the low end but the novi 1000 had the top end. The guy with the novi had the aftermarket pullie and was doing about 10 PSI. I think the centries have more room for mods and when they wind up just hold on... The novi just felt like much more power.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dont let all that boost go to your head... LOL............. Spray it
Dont wait for it to kick on, kick it and go. NOS, or you can go back to the boost stuff again. LOL:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Impossible to answer such a question UNTIL you know:

1. What function the car will fulfill. Daily driver? Ocassional street/strip? SERIOUS prostreet/strip? Dedicated drag racer?

2. Even then, high horsepower numbers start to become meaningless - what counts (other than in a dyno contest) is how that power gets transfered to the ground. Putting out even 400hp at the rear wheels WITHOUT any upgrades to the wheels, tires, rear suspension, gears (and perhaps clutch and transmission) could easily mean that your times at the track will disappoint.

Only the individual knows WHAT they plan to do with the car - and the plan to achieve those goals should include a review of the ENTIRE automobile, not just the power plant.

But back on point, there are good REASONS why the OE manufacturers prefer the positive displacement blowers. This has to do with packaging (the fit and finish under the hood, and the ease of future maintenance and warranty coverage) and the fact that they build STREET cars meant to be driven every day and survive the rigors of that function. They match the desired powerband with the power-adder. Simple as that.

Those desiring something akin to an 03-04 Cobra or perhaps the LS9 powerplant in the bad-dog Corvette will be best served by looking to a twin screw positive displacement supercharger.

Change the emphasis to the drag strip, or to shooting for some sky-high mountain peak on a dyno chart, and the path will change - I would suggest a ProCharger, or a turbocharger (or 2), but again, that's just personal preference.

Its been my experience that the key ingredient rarely discussed is simple "impatience". The process needed to pile up sufficient cash to make the purchase - then to do the install - and THEN to get it all tuned - means that the twin screw (which costs more) often loses out simply because the critical mass of the bank account will match a simple VorTech install long before it hits the KenneBell line!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like Kenne Bells the most, I think they sound friggen bad ass. After I pay my car down a bit, Im either going to Procharge or Kenne Bell my GT.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
And who really needs a thousand horsepower on a street car? Besides, there isn't a street legal tire that can handle anywhere near that kind of power reliably without getting shredded.
fyi there's plenty of tires that can handle 1000hp and still be street legal. Im sure ALOT of people would have fun with a 1000hp street car. Just need to have self control :happyhapp, besides that's not my point. im trying to explain how good the paxton blowers are. I'd suggest novi 2000 over any.

·
Registered
57 Posts
like tripleblack said its all in what you want. tons of low end torque or tons of high end power. but remember torque is what gets you goin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.