Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I just bought the vortech v3 SC trim low boost supercharger. I'm just curious on how bad ill need a tune after I install it and how do you think it will run wit no tune and the stock fuel pump
. I have 24lb injectors but haven't upgraded the pump yet. thanks from the help

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
how bad? How does having a blown engine sound to you? Without a tune and upgraded fuel system there is no way the stock ECU can accomodate the boost, it's flat out not designed for it in stock form, neither is the fuel system, you could potentially blow the engine the first time you try to run at as it will be so lean that detonation will immediately set in...it's an expensive game, it costs to play

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ive Ran my fox for a year now w/o a tune with a 7 psi Vortech and down the dragstrip about 15 times. If its under 6 psi then its really not a big deal, can you get more power out of it with a tune yes? Will it have some idle problems maybe. If you need to drive it around town and go easy on it till you can afford a dyno tune it wil lbe ok

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
what's the point of installing a supercharger and "driving it easy" or on "low boost"? Do it right or don't do it at all, it's a disaster waiting to happen if it's not tuned, not to mention the 24lb injectors will need to be calibrated to the ecu/mass air to even begin to work properly...
I bet mr "no tune" at least has a chip that came with his kit

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the injectors are already working right...I don't just slap parts in...anyways I was just seeing if I could put it in and buy some time before tuning it

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well your going to need to upgrade your pump first and foremost.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
you don't just slap in parts? Then why slap on a supercharger and then go cheap and think you don't need a tune and an upgraded fuel system? Let me be the first to tell you 6psi is a waste of money, unless you run 12 or so you won't even feel supercharged, I'd be surprised if you could even make any hp with those heads, cam and headers...it's all so restrictive that money would be better spent on new AFR heads, intake and long tube headers and a real cam that is custom ground to make it all work.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
man..a new fuel pump is like $125 or so..get that at the very least...

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah, the fuel pump is inexpensive, it's kinda a pain to install...boost a pump is a good alternative at about $250, better yet, get the pump and BAP, but bottom line, it has to be tuned, it's foolish to run without that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this all things I'm trying to figure out 2manystangs you seem to be a little upset about something. and if my heads and Cam set up is so bad why is my car almost 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 than it use to be...so anyways back to the point I need a fuel pump and a tune before I even run the car on the street? that's what I'm trying to figure out I would hate to destroy my engine like 2manystangs was saying. and can I bump up the boost on the supercharger? and you honestly think I wont feel any gains at 6?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I'm not upset, when I tell people a light at the end of the tunnel is a train they think I'm being hateful when in fact I'm trying to help you avoid alot of pain...it's just that I've seen all kinds of small blocks with your similar setup that make alot less power than they should, it's just not the right combo of parts to realize the potential of the boost...secondly I'm sure you are familiar with the idea of "do it right or don't do it at all"...putting boost on a untuned car is clearly a recipe for disaster...
Well take what you can use, but remember "prophets are never accepted in their own time"

·
Banned
12,436 Posts

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
no not really... every day driver, i put about 75 miles a week on it before i sold it to my ex son-in-law. suprised quite a few GTs and CAMAROs.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well 6 may be ok, but 12 is much better...bye bye Corvettes and almost any other car on the road

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok I understand what your saying 2manystangs and believe me I would love to be up at 12 psi but I just can't afford a supercharger like that so I found this one and figured I'd get some gains but do you really see no performance coming from this? I've read a few post with people running low boost like that with fairly stock engines and saying it made a world of difference. I already bought it so itsnon its way I guess ill just have to see but I'm just looking for a heads up on what I should expect

·
Registered
130 Posts
You will feel a difference @ 6lbs, you can change out the crank pulley and keep the factory warrentee on the head unit and get 8lbs .. After that you really should have an inter cooler and a brand name BOV..

Fuel system of course...

I dont know what to tell other members but I felt a difference in performance and dont have a chip tune or a dyno tune. Just adjusted timing. VORTECH even says you dont NEED a tune OR upgrade your fuel system for lower 6psi kits they are designed to slap on a stock car and run.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have this same kit on my 1993 Cobra. I installed it in July of 2009 and have never had it tuned. The car runs completely normal, idles normal, operates normal, but rips on the street. I had 93,000 miles on my motor when I installed it. There is no need for a tune with this kit. The FMU works perfectly. Just make sure you have no vacuum leaks. A shop can do a smoke test to be sure and it would be worth it. You're going to love this kit and forget about a tune, it's not needed and I know this from first hand experience with this kit. Any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
And I'm not trying to be an ass, it just drives me crazy when people start shooting info out but haven't done the research about a specific setup. I've had people just shoot from the hip while trying to give me suggestions and it completely wastes my time. I was having an issue with my car and several people told me how crazy I was to not have a tune, and that not having a tune was causing my problem. However I knew it was just a problem with a part or something not hooked up right. Turns out I never needed a tune, I just needed to fix the diaphram inside my EGR valve.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts