Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the boards and im thinking seriously of buying a mustang .

2000'' 3.8 v6(of course)with 86k miles , manual trans. rwd .... for 5.8k $$

i was wondering if that was a good buy /deal ... i know nothing about mustangs and little about cars in general, if i do get it i wana get into tuning it up (not to be a tuner car) . can anyone tell me if that is a good buy and if so ' is the 3.8 a good egnine ?

thanks

Venom"

·
Registered
56 Posts
What is your price limit? I have seen 96-97 cobra going for 7k. Now back to the V6. The essex is a really dependable engine and if you can find an 01+ then get that because it has a nuetral balanced engine rather than the flywheel balanced like the 99-00.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I saw a Black 99-04 (not sure what year exactly) on autotrader.com with low miles (dont remember for sure, but it was less than 50k for sure) going for 5.5k. And it was gorgeous

and a Blue one with 30 some odd thousand miles for 5k, if you haven't checked the site do so! And if you have you can try collectorcartrader.com... if you still find nothing give it some time, unless you need a ride soon. But good deals seem to pop up if you're patient enough

·
Registered
124 Posts
another option of course is looking into a camaro. They have very similar 3.8s, camaros a bit faster but check one out unless you're a die hard stang man. I'm thinking of purchasing either a camaro or a mustang eventually, if not soon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
na no camaro ,,,,,, Mustang fan here :wavey but im still checking em out , if i can get better then 3.8 i will but it looks like thats guna be my candy

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 2000 3.8 I got it for 7.5 1 and a half years ago with 5.5k it has about 69 now and runs wonderful. It is also nice that the V6's get 27/30 if driven like you are supposed to drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good Job Venom! Makes sense to plug Camaro's on a mustang website. But then again Ford didnt quit producing the Mustang like Chevy did with Camaros. That should tell you something. Not! I have a 2000 V6 paid 6.5 for last year and have 87k on it now and dont regret it a bit especially now that gas prices are going towards $3 a gallon. Good luck

·
Registered
132 Posts
WS6isKing said:
another option of course is looking into a camaro. They have very similar 3.8s, camaros a bit faster but check one out unless you're a die hard stang man. I'm thinking of purchasing either a camaro or a mustang eventually, if not soon.
Plus the v6 camaro isn't faster I take a manuel with duals easy.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Venom810 said:
im new to the boards and im thinking seriously of buying a mustang .

2000'' 3.8 v6(of course)with 86k miles , manual trans. rwd .... for 5.8k $$

i was wondering if that was a good buy /deal ... i know nothing about mustangs and little about cars in general, if i do get it i wana get into tuning it up (not to be a tuner car) . can anyone tell me if that is a good buy and if so ' is the 3.8 a good egnine ?

thanks

Venom"
the 2001+ engines are pretty much bulletproof.

the 99+ engines are very good.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k im back and the stang i wanted to buy was a lost cause but now im looking at two other options . Im not really looking to make a bad ass muscle pony yet , or i would get a gt or cobra so im sticking with the v6 (plus gas would kill my wallet) .... one of the options is a 98 automatic with 83k miles on it for 48 hundred and the other is a 99 with 104k manual trans for 47 hundred ...... i know the 40 HP boost on the 99 makes it sound like a sick choice but the 98 has rounded off 20k less milage . is over 100k too much mileage ? or is that not dangerous for the engine ? ADVICE PLZ !

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Venom810 said:
k im back and the stang i wanted to buy was a lost cause but now im looking at two other options . Im not really looking to make a bad ass muscle pony yet , or i would get a gt or cobra so im sticking with the v6 (plus gas would kill my wallet) .... one of the options is a 98 automatic with 83k miles on it for 48 hundred and the other is a 99 with 104k manual trans for 47 hundred ...... i know the 40 HP boost on the 99 makes it sound like a sick choice but the 98 has rounded off 20k less milage . is over 100k too much mileage ? or is that not dangerous for the engine ? ADVICE PLZ !
the 99+ cars are duty rated at 200,000 miles, and you don't have to worry about head gasket failure.

I'd go with the 99, and pick up an underdriver pulley to extend the life of your accessories, 1st thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.