Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a little new here, but ill let you know what I need some advice on. I'm turning 17 relatively soon and I'm looking to buy a new car. I would love a mustang, particularly a 99-04 mustang. I have a job and am saving up some money. I currently have 2500 and my parents are willing to match that. For all you math enthusiasts you probably figured out that means i have 5k to buy a mustang. I am just wondering about a few things.

1) V6 vs GT? I would absolutely love a GT, but I'm not sure how thrilled my parents would be with me having a v8. A V6 would be more than fine with me, but i was wondering if the GTs were that much better. How much of a difference is there in insurance cost and gas mileage is my main concern.

2) Automatic vs Manual? I've never driven a manual car before, but a bunch of my friends do and say that its so much more fun. I'm sure learning would be no problem. Are there any other significant differences between the two? MPG, Price etc. I live in more of a city area, but not really. Its hard to explain, but I'm never going more than 5 miles without a stop if that helps.

3) Buying. I figure ill probably find the best deals on craigslist, but i know kbb and auto-trader are pretty good sites too. Should i be buying from a private seller or a dealership? What questions should I be asking them to make sure I'm getting what i pay for? Also, how many miles should a 99-04 mustang that cost 5000 have on it?

Any other input would be appreciated. Also, I expect to put some mods on the car as time passes and I get some money. What mods do you recommend I get?

If there are anymore questions or you would like some additional information on my situation feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am 18 and live in the northeast, and bought my 2001 mustang gt bullitt last spring for 5000. It had 97,000 miles on it, but was not inspectable at that time from a VW dealership. Put in 500 dollars and have a car with minimal rust. I looked at newer mustangs with less miles that were a v6 but went with my GT and do not regret anything. Insurance is really high, and I did not really look at gas milage. I bought my manual car without knowing how to drive it, it was very easy to learn. So thats my story, pretty similar to yours. Any more questions just message me.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I would grab a V6 for your fist car. GT's are not really better, but they are faster, come with more optional equipment and what not. GT's are easier to make faster as well, lots of potential with a GT. But I would stick with a V6, 5K should get you a very nice V6 car, even 3500 should find one in good shape. Cheaper on insurance, cheaper on gas, and gets you in less trouble.

Auto to manual, I would go 5 speed everytime. Its a pain initially to learn, but once you have it down, it will just be a normal part of driving. Auto's are slugs in stock form, and no fun to drive in my opinion.

I don't know if you will find the best deals on craigslist, but they are out there. The big dealers probably won't have a car in your price range, and the ones at the private lots are going to be a hassle. The private lots always want way too much for their cars, and it seems they always have issues.

I honestly suggest finding someone who knows cars really well and take them with you to go look at these cars.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i agree, find a 5 speed v6 if you are to get one. the automatic a) sucks up power and b) because of that does worse on gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts