Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a little new here, but ill let you know what I need some advice on. I'm turning 17 relatively soon and I'm looking to buy a new car. I would love a mustang, particularly a 99-04 mustang. I have a job and am saving up some money. I currently have 2500 and my parents are willing to match that. For all you math enthusiasts you probably figured out that means i have 5k to buy a mustang. I am just wondering about a few things.

1) V6 vs GT? I would absolutely love a GT, but I'm not sure how thrilled my parents would be with me having a v8. A V6 would be more than fine with me, but i was wondering if the GTs were that much better. How much of a difference is there in insurance cost and gas mileage is my main concern.

2) Automatic vs Manual? I've never driven a manual car before, but a bunch of my friends do and say that its so much more fun. I'm sure learning would be no problem. Are there any other significant differences between the two? MPG, Price etc. I live in more of a city area, but not really. Its hard to explain, but I'm never going more than 5 miles without a stop if that helps.

3) Buying. I figure ill probably find the best deals on craigslist, but i know kbb and auto-trader are pretty good sites too. Should i be buying from a private seller or a dealership? What questions should I be asking them to make sure I'm getting what i pay for? Also, how many miles should a 99-04 mustang that cost 5000 have on it?

Any other input would be appreciated. Also, I expect to put some mods on the car as time passes and I get some money. What mods do you recommend I get?

If there are anymore questions or you would like some additional information on my situation feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought my 2003 gt back in febuary for $7800 . Blue book is around 11 so there are definitely deals around. It had 57000 miles when I bought it. Stick shifts are DEFINITELY fun once you get used to them. If you happen to test a stick 2002-2004, try shifting fairly quick to make sure 1-3 doesn't grind; the syncros in the transmission for these years are weak.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I would say since you're 17 go with the v6 insurance is a lot cheaper on a v6 vs v8. The gt is faster but its not worth it right now at your age. Gas milage all depends on how you drive it. But if you're getting The estimated MPG you shouldn't be driving a stang lol.

Since you don't know how to drive a manual and its your first car I woould sat don't learn in your stang. If you drive a lot of stop-go traffic automatic is also better.

As for private vs dealership private is always cheaper. Make sure you bring a mechanical incline person along to check the car out. For what you can get for 5k depends on your area but you shoild be able to pick up a v6 with less then 100k miles.

Ad far as Modding go. I would Save up for a gt before you start Modding.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought my first mustang 6 months ago at 17 also. im 18 now. But definitely a v6 as the gt insurance is through the roof i was gonna get that but its almost as much as the car was per year just in insurance.. Also manual is more fun but its also a daily driver for you and idk if you plan to go far with it or take it to college and all but i got automatic and it just makes your life easier especially on long rides such as driving 6 hours to get to my college.. also in traffic it helps! Also i bought from a dealer as you get slight warranty for a bit to ensure the car is good and have it fixed and all if its not. less to worry about through a dealer really.. I drive a 2008 v6 grabber orange and i love every minute of it. I mean if you were willing to throw 10k down or fiance it after the 5k you put down go for an 05-09 model and it would last you longer and all that stuff. but go with what you like obviously! Let me know what your thinking on doing, hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to message inbox me and i could help you out or answer everything! Ive also dropped close to $1,000 modding it so far and culd give you some small cheap stuff to do that looks good and all that to the more expensive ($200 range for us teens lol) I too live in new york so i could definitely be able to help you out and ill be on the lookout for some models for you!!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Lets face it here.. You say the v6 will be fine now and yes insurance will be more but after a good 4-5 months you are going to want the GT and sell it anyway so might as well buy the right car the first time around. V6 or not insurance companys jack the price up as soon as they hear the word Mustang. If you like the GT's then get the GT otherwise you will be hitting yourself. Don't settle for less if you already know what you like more. MPG Wont be that much different and the GT will hold more value and you wont have to tell all your friends you got a v6 Mustang. I also prefer auto. Some people might get on you for that but they don't know the 80s are long gone autos are eating sticks up. I never lost to a stick in my auto

·
Registered
943 Posts
I wouldn't recommend getting a v6 in hopes to saving up for a GT later or to be able to afford the insurance. You can find a GT for around 5-6,000 you just might need to save up a little more money. I bought my car 3 years ago with 72,000 miles for $6,700 and that was 3 years ago. When it comes to the 5 speed or auto, I love my 5 speed and I had an auto mustang and will never buy another but since you stated that you will be in "stop and go driving" it might be for you.

Its up to you but I bet you can find something for the right price just start looking at prices now, and dealers are way over priced!

Here is a GT for $5,000 near you.
2000 Ford Mustang GT

This is also near you I think ha
2004 mustang gt 5 speed red

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my '03 GT about a year agowhen i was 18, insurance on mine was around $218 a month full coverage. I hit my three year driving experience and it dropped to $100 a month. I have a manual and i love it. Like the above posts, look around to see whats the best deals and what you like. Don't buy the first one you see. Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, I'm happy for you that you're not getting much crap about being so young and wanting a mustang, let alone perhaps a GT. I remember first posting on here and there was a lot of people who really didn't like my choice of wanting a GT at such a young age (just turned 17)

But you're working for it and you obviously caught the bug (as did I) and I say go for it. But please, one thing I recommend that others recommended for me when I first was thinking about it. Get another car for the winter because these things really do handle for crap. I drove one in the rain before (mind you, I didn't have good winter tires on) and it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. And the rust.. No good. :nono: However, if you live in a sunny state as I once did, go for it.

Now in response to your questions...

1) V6 vs GT? I would say a GT. If the sound of a V8's exhaust doesn't get you, I don't know what will. If you can handle yourself and not drive like Jimmy Johnson just because you've got a wheel and a clutch in front of you, then you're fine. Like I always say, if you wanted to drive wreckless and fast you'll drive wreckless and fast in whatever car you're in.

I have to get to class now; I'll respond with the other answers for you in a bit, if I don't forget.

·
Registered
189 Posts
at 15 years old i bought a 2000 v6 stang. absolutely loved that car. a month ago someone rear-ended me totaling my car and at the same time making it possible for me to get a 2002 gt with 60k miles for 7 grand. i am now almost 20 and the insurance and gas prices are crazy high. i also recommend starting off with a v6. it was a great learning car. and with how high insurance is for our ages, and how high gas prices are right now, i would really consider getting the v6. if you get the gt you will be extremely happy, but be safe. personally i love my gt so much i could care less about the costs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Go with the GT. I am 17 and I am fortunate to own a beautiful 2004 Sonic Blue GT Manual. When I was getting prices for cars before I bought my stang, I found out it is a $12 a year difference between the GT and V6. I pay $215 a month now.

Gas in either of the 2 aren't going to be that great. The v6 might be a little better, but its not going to be marginal. If you keep your right foot tame, you can easily get 20+ in the gt mixed driving. I usually get 18 mixed, but that's with some WOT. Best I have gotten was 22.5 all highway, but I know it can do better. There have been a lot of people that have gotten 26 with these cars.

Manual vs Auto. Get the Manual! It adds so much to the driving experience. These cars are so easy to learn on. YOU WILL REGRET GETTING AN AUTO! If I were you I would go on youtube and watch a few videos of how to drive stick. how to drive stick manual basics (remake with uphill starts) - YouTube

The GT has some ass behind it, but it will leave you wanting more power, so imagine what a v6 would be like. Though you will be happy powerwise with the gt for a few months. I have had mine for over 7 months and I am thinking about power mods.

In terms of reliability, I can speak for the GT but not the v6. The only thing that has gone wrong with my car is the abs control module, which is a loose connection inside. I haven't bothered to fix it because I don't really care for traction control. I bought it that way too. But other than that it has just been oil changes and other basic maintenance.

So to some things up, get a GT manual. You WILL NOT regret it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, I'm happy for you that you're not getting much crap about being so young and wanting a mustang, let alone perhaps a GT. I remember first posting on here and there was a lot of people who really didn't like my choice of wanting a GT at such a young age (just turned 17)

But you're working for it and you obviously caught the bug (as did I) and I say go for it. But please, one thing I recommend that others recommended for me when I first was thinking about it. Get another car for the winter because these things really do handle for crap. I drove one in the rain before (mind you, I didn't have good winter tires on) and it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. And the rust.. No good. :nono: However, if you live in a sunny state as I once did, go for it.

Now in response to your questions...

1) V6 vs GT? I would say a GT. If the sound of a V8's exhaust doesn't get you, I don't know what will. If you can handle yourself and not drive like Jimmy Johnson just because you've got a wheel and a clutch in front of you, then you're fine. Like I always say, if you wanted to drive wreckless and fast you'll drive wreckless and fast in whatever car you're in.

I have to get to class now; I'll respond with the other answers for you in a bit, if I don't forget.

Alright, I'm finally back. Now to finish up...

2) Automatic vs Manual? Manual. It's a muscle car. Not your grandmother's buick. Go with stickshift; you'll regret it otherwise. More fun + somewhat higher MPGs (that is, if you are able to fully control yourself and not have any fun with the clutch). Learning is easy and every man should be able to drive stickshift. You never know when you might need it. Only downside? You won't be holding that girl's hand in your passenger seat. Oh well, you'll be going so fast she'll be white knuckling the dash anyway.

3) Dealership or private owner? Well unless a dealership has something that you just can't beat (which, in most cases, is never), stick with private sellers. You can negotiate with them more and 9 times out of 10, they're more trustworthy. (completely made up statistic by the way, but you catch my drift) I'd honestly say stay away from dealers at all costs. I've had some close friends and family have some serious problems with them. They are out there to make money, so they will do what they can to hustle.

Your profile suggests you live in New York; I'd definitely check out craigslist, that's your best bet as cartrader typically is just dealerships anyway. I'm not 100% sure about the prices over there but they should be cheaper than here in WI. I'm going ballistic searching for the right one at the right price (been looking around since march!). My problem is that I live in such a small city, and I have to venture out to find good prices. If you're in a big city, no problem for you.

Typically 6000 and up have relatively low miles with a couple of mods on, and that's the way to go. I'd honestly continue saving (I know, that's tough to hear, but I've been saving for a very long time and I'm making it..sort of :p) until winter is over and you don't have to worry about storage and such. However, the beginning of spring always boosts muscle car prices way up so that's your call.

Hopefully I helped you out, I know I wrote a lot but if you have any questions you make sure to message me, hit me up with a friend request too since we're in the same boat and good luck to you! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Go with the GT. I am 17 and I am fortunate to own a beautiful 2004 Sonic Blue GT Manual. When I was getting prices for cars before I bought my stang, I found out it is a $12 a year difference between the GT and V6. I pay $215 a month now.

Gas in either of the 2 aren't going to be that great. The v6 might be a little better, but its not going to be marginal. If you keep your right foot tame, you can easily get 20+ in the gt mixed driving. I usually get 18 mixed, but that's with some WOT. Best I have gotten was 22.5 all highway, but I know it can do better. There have been a lot of people that have gotten 26 with these cars.

Manual vs Auto. Get the Manual! It adds so much to the driving experience. These cars are so easy to learn on. YOU WILL REGRET GETTING AN AUTO! If I were you I would go on youtube and watch a few videos of how to drive stick. how to drive stick manual basics (remake with uphill starts) - YouTube

The GT has some ass behind it, but it will leave you wanting more power, so imagine what a v6 would be like. Though you will be happy powerwise with the gt for a few months. I have had mine for over 7 months and I am thinking about power mods.

In terms of reliability, I can speak for the GT but not the v6. The only thing that has gone wrong with my car is the abs control module, which is a loose connection inside. I haven't bothered to fix it because I don't really care for traction control. I bought it that way too. But other than that it has just been oil changes and other basic maintenance.

who are you insured with??? for my gt it was 160 a month and for my v6 it was 98 a month. for my saleen its insure at cost so its 225 a month. im 21 and i thought my difference werent bad between the gt and vs and thats with home owner insurance too. only 155 buck difference for you no wonder you went gt lol

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

I'm 22 and pay 181 bs. Should be lower

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would recommend waiting for the spring to buy your mustang, I live one state over and would get no where in any kind of snow storm. You could either buy a winter beater now and a mustang in the spring or wait and buy your mustang in the spring and a winter beater in the fall. That is just what I would do, and I would go for a gt, if that is what you want you will always think what if with the V6.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Get the GT at the very least!!! Dont even think about a v6..

·
Registered
248 Posts
who are you insured with??? for my gt it was 160 a month and for my v6 it was 98 a month. for my saleen its insure at cost so its 225 a month. im 21 and i thought my difference werent bad between the gt and vs and thats with home owner insurance too. only 155 buck difference for you no wonder you went gt lol
Nationwide... Are you married? I don't understand why yours is so low compared to mine. It's usually around the same from 16-25 unless you get married. What company are you with? I may just have to switch lol.

If the difference were that much per month I probably would have not even gotten a mustang. Don't see myself driving a v6 stang and wouldn't want all the flames that come with it lol. But it was only a $12 a YEAR difference so no biggie.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm not marry and I'm with American. Thats with multi car discount good student discount how owner AND good driver discount lol. I might switch to nationwide. I somehow posted 155 when I meant 12 bucks difference lol go figured :p

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm not marry and I'm with American. Thats with multi car discount good student discount how owner AND good driver discount lol. I might switch to nationwide. I somehow posted 155 when I meant 12 bucks difference lol go figured :p
for my 98 cobra and my 2000 mustang gt, i pay 180 every month for full coverage on both cars with roadside assistance or whatever that ******** is.

To the op, i bought my gt a couple months ago for 3k. It has 140k on the clock and the previous owner beat the crap out of it. i am slowly bringing it back to life. It runs just has some drivetrain problems

1 - 20 of 28 Posts