Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, after a month of pure hell i find out that my engine is loaded with carbon. tried seafoam, did not work. so now i have to get a new engine. but hopefully this is one of those times that god is opening a window. i want to put a turbo engine in sooo freaking badly!!!! i want to go faster!!! :rollgrin::kooky:the question is, can i?
i have a 1992 2.3 n/a (stock) with dual plugs, eec4 computer, a4ld tranny.
i've been trying to research, but there are some things i just couldnt find out. can i put in a turbo engine that only has 4 plugs or will it not work properly with my computer? during the month of hell pretty much every sensor under the hood went bad (tps included) and was replaced, along with the egr and fuel pressure regulator. as i understand it i should be able to use all my current sensors, tps, fpr and egr, right? lastly, there seems to be a difference of opinion about being able to run a turbo motor with an auto tranny. some people say that the tranny will disintegrate, some say it'll be fine. anyone have personal experience to share? (and yea, i wish i could do right by my car and put a t5 in, but dont have the money right now.)
:smoke:

·
Registered
48 Posts
okay, after a month of pure hell i find out that my engine is loaded with carbon. tried seafoam, did not work. so now i have to get a new engine.
How do you know?

i have a 1992 2.3 n/a (stock) with dual plugs, eec4 computer, a4ld tranny.
i've been trying to research, but there are some things i just couldnt find out. can i put in a turbo engine that only has 4 plugs or will it not work properly with my computer?
You can go about it a few ways, but there's no way to tune the stock computer. Seems like a waste of time to turbo a complete n/a engine with low, low boost and have the chance of blowing up the pistons still.

With the LA3 you can keep the DIS setup with 1 or 2 coils with some wiring but if you use a turbo block you need to have the crank sensor holes drilled into the block. Or you could do it the old way and convert to distributor and use a single plug head / intake.

There's also the issue with dual plug heads with a turbo needing the timing advance to be reprogrammed or it will ping under load.

during the month of hell pretty much every sensor under the hood went bad (tps included) and was replaced, along with the egr and fuel pressure regulator. as i understand it i should be able to use all my current sensors, tps, fpr and egr, right?
I think the EGR is different. Not sure on the others.

If you run the single plug head / intake, some sensors are in different spots than the dual plug head / intake. The turbo computer also needs one added.

lastly, there seems to be a difference of opinion about being able to run a turbo motor with an auto tranny. some people say that the tranny will disintegrate, some say it'll be fine. anyone have personal experience to share? (and yea, i wish i could do right by my car and put a t5 in, but dont have the money right now.)
:smoke:
A4LD stock wouldnt last on even a low powered turbo for long. I think the turbo cars that came with an auto were boost limited to only run ~150hp? Most places dont know how to rebuild them properly either. There's the one thread about someone rebuilding one for his suv to be "bulletproof" but i think he had like 800 bucks in rebuilding it and tons of hours into it. He had the stronger type of tranny to begin with too.

If you cant afford a T5 swap then you probably cant afford a turbo swap.

If you need the car to drive, have you thought of locating a similar year ranger/mustang engine to drop in instead? Or even another car all together?

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
You can tune the computer. There is a guy on turboford.net now got a tune for speed density. Get rid of Vam and no MAF to fool with. No handheld tuner you use a laptop. And yes on the 4 plug engine. Just use the turbo computer and repin. Only problems if have to deal with emission test that can get iffy. Main page of Stinger Lot of tech here should answer a lot of your questions. And yes near as I can tell run a A4LD just need a turbo automatic computer. I can do more research on that. And yes it won't last long. But it can be made stronger or do like me find a Pinto 2.3 C-4 trans. Use the bellhousing and get the c-4 rebuilt strong. Maurice
Stinger Performance 2.3 Tech Mainpage

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How do you know?

There's also the issue with dual plug heads with a turbo needing the timing advance to be reprogrammed or it will ping under load.

A4LD stock wouldnt last on even a low powered turbo for long. I think the turbo cars that came with an auto were boost limited to only run ~150hp? Most places dont know how to rebuild them properly either. There's the one thread about someone rebuilding one for his suv to be "bulletproof" but i think he had like 800 bucks in rebuilding it and tons of hours into it. He had the stronger type of tranny to begin with too.
If you cant afford a T5 swap then you probably cant afford a turbo swap.

If you need the car to drive, have you thought of locating a similar year ranger/mustang engine to drop in instead? Or even another car all together?
well technicaly i could have the existing engine cleaned out, but thats cost prohibitive. cleaning would be a minimum $500, i can get another 2.3 n/a for $250.

ah, thanks because in the articles i had read nothing was said about the timing needing to be actually reprogrammed or it would=ping. granted i've only been looking for a couple days, but still.

its not that i cant afford the tranny, its just that i cant aford the tranny and whatever new engine i get it. i have been hoping for years that the tranny would die so i could get a t5, so it figures that the engine would take a dump while the stupid tranny would still be running strong. i only red line it weekly for the hell of it lol.

yea, this thing is my daily driver. but i'm not gonna let him die. my grandma gave me this car and its sentimental value to me is priceless. i had thought about getting another foxbody or even a beater car till i got my stang fixed and restored, but for a littany of reasons that just is not feasable.

You can tune the computer. There is a guy on turboford.net now got a tune for speed density. Get rid of Vam and no MAF to fool with. No handheld tuner you use a laptop. And yes on the 4 plug engine. Just use the turbo computer and repin. Only problems if have to deal with emission test that can get iffy. Main page of Stinger Lot of tech here should answer a lot of your questions. And yes near as I can tell run a A4LD just need a turbo automatic computer. I can do more research on that. And yes it won't last long. But it can be made stronger or do like me find a Pinto 2.3 C-4 trans. Use the bellhousing and get the c-4 rebuilt strong. Maurice
Stinger Performance 2.3 Tech Mainpage
yeah, dang, that is a problem because i do have to deal with stupid emissions tests. i will refrain from ranting about the stupid emissions tests.

Best approach is to find an '87-'88 5 speed turbo coupe and swap in the drive train:

91-93 Mustang Turbo Swap Wiring Info
lol, you just jinxed me so i'll never find one now!:rollgrin: j/k. but i been trying to find one for a few years now with no success. most i found was some guy selling a frame, didnt even have the front axle on it.

i think i'm gonna take the easy road out on this one and stick with naturally aspirited for this stang. like most of us stangers, i would one day like to own the coveted svo, so i think i will put my turbo dreams on hold for a little while and just concentrate on fixing/restoring the car i have.
thanks for the knowledge everyone!:bigthumbsup:laughlitt:wavey because knowing is half the battle!

·
Registered
286 Posts
You could just pull the head off, scrape the carbon off the tops of the pistons, scrape carbon off the valves, and put it together. Rebuilt 2.3 heads are on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
286 Posts
lol, you just jinxed me so i'll never find one now!:rollgrin: j/k. but i been trying to find one for a few years now with no success. most i found was some guy selling a frame, didnt even have the front axle on it.
They show up on ebay every once in a while. Real trashy ones, crappy interior, banged up bodies, but they still run and some of those trashy cars run good.

About a month after we bought our '88 2.3 auto Mustang we were driving down the road and saw the '88 Turbo Coupe 5 spd on the side of the road for sale. That is how we found ours. Real beat up ragged out trashy car with a good engine/5 speed. We got it for $800 and the guy selling it drove it to our house.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They show up on ebay every once in a while. Real trashy ones, crappy interior, banged up bodies, but they still run and some of those trashy cars run good.

About a month after we bought our '88 2.3 auto Mustang we were driving down the road and saw the '88 Turbo Coupe 5 spd on the side of the road for sale. That is how we found ours. Real beat up ragged out trashy car with a good engine/5 speed. We got it for $800 and the guy selling it drove it to our house.
thats awesome, i'm jealous :bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.