Ford Mustang Forum banner

Want to switch my 66 mustang coupe to 5 lug the easiest and cheapest way. HELP PLEASE

1036 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  andrewmp6
I bought a 66 mustang coupe and need to switch from 4 lug to 5 the easiest and cheapest way. If possible. Its a original 6 cylinder but I have a 351W to go in it. Also need help with that. Is that possible and if so what kind of adjustments need to be made. Thanks for the help. Allen
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Welcome Allen to the site. I am sure that someone will have an answer for you. You have come to the right place.
Hiya, welcome to the site. You'd switch the brake rotors and/or drums over to 5 lug versions up front, and then axles would have to be changed in back.
Hello, and welcome to the forums... Glad you joined us!!
:hello: and :welcome , Enjoy the site!! :happydancer:
Be sure to post some pictures into your gallery soon!!
welcome fellow Tennessean,enjoy!!!!
You need v8 spindles v8 hubs brakes front springs the rear you need a 8 inch rear end your looking about 3 grand to do this.Eagle no one makes 5 lug axles for the 7.5 besides its a weak rear end a v8 would snap it.
For the rear end I would try a junk yard and get a truck 9" or 8" rear end. They are common and usually cheap (I get 9" truck rears for about $100). That would require a lot of fabrication (cutting the tubes to length, salvaging the spring mounts from your old axle, welding experience required). But if you are like me I would rather save a lot of cash and have fun with my welder while I'm at it.

The 351W is a awesome motor and it would surely blow up the stock 6cyl rear in your car. I made the mistake of building a 351W based 550HP 408ci stroker and putting it through a stock trans and rear.
The ford granada has a 9 inch that bolts right in a 64-66 also can use the spindles and brakes but you'll need baer tracker tie rod ends to kill the bump steer.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.