Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks.., I am needing help here. I am planning on install a Holley Sniper 1100 this coming month on my 170 i6 (Vin:U) and wanted to upgrade my load-o-matic dizzy to a newer '68 style. But my question is.., the shaft diameter is bigger than my original dizzy. Mine is a 1/4" or so, and the 68 style is like 3/8". When people say upgrade your 170 dizzy to a 68 style, what exacty is the correct part number I need to get ?.., because the other at my local parts store,have the larger diameter shaft :(.

Thanks for the help (y)

Leo

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might want to check with NPD, CJ Pony Parts, or even Vintage Inlines on this. FWIW, I had to replace the fuel pump on my 170, got one from my usual parts guy, it looked close, but wouldn't work. I went to NPD (their Michigan location is only about 30 minutes from me) and got their fuel pump, and it worked fine. The lever that went into the engine was slightly off on the one from my usual guy, but due to part # consolidation, it was the only one they offered (he refunded my money and sent it back). The Moral to the Story is, you may be running into that same problem with the distributor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to check with NPD, CJ Pony Parts, or even Vintage Inlines on this. FWIW, I had to replace the fuel pump on my 170, got one from my usual parts guy, it looked close, but wouldn't work. I went to NPD (their Michigan location is only about 30 minutes from me) and got their fuel pump, and it worked fine. The lever that went into the engine was slightly off on the one from my usual guy, but due to part # consolidation, it was the only one they offered (he refunded my money and sent it back). The Moral to the Story is, you may be running into that same problem with the distributor.
Thanks for reply John. Well as for the dizzy.., I have got several from different places. The fact is..., that the '68 dizzy, has a larger/thicker shaft. I can not find one with a 1/4" hex, in a standard vacuum advance setup. I emailed Holley,awaiting their response.

Thanks again,
Leo

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for reply John. Well as for the dizzy.., I have got several from different places. The fact is..., that the '68 dizzy, has a larger/thicker shaft. I can not find one with a 1/4" hex, in a standard vacuum advance setup. I emailed Holley,awaiting their response.

Thanks again,
Leo
Almost all of the Ford engines back then used a 1/4-inch hex drive shaft between the distributor and oil pump. The shaft drove the pump. The 351W engine, I believe it was, came with a thicker shaft, 5/16-inch I think. Even the big FE engines (430, 390, etc.) had 1/4".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost all of the Ford engines back then used a 1/4-inch hex drive shaft between the distributor and oil pump. The shaft drove the pump. The 351W engine, I believe it was, came with a thicker shaft, 5/16-inch I think. Even the big FE engines (430, 390, etc.) had 1/4".
Thanks imps..., yes.., that much I already know. My question is.., what is my solution ??

leo

·
Registered
185 Posts
Will the '68 distributor not fit into the engine? If the only problem is driving the oil pump, one solution might be to replace the oil pump and oil pump drive to the '68 style too, tho I was under the assumption that they were all the same with that family of 6 cylinders. I've been wrong before...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the '68 distributor not fit into the engine? If the only problem is driving the oil pump, one solution might be to replace the oil pump and oil pump drive to the '68 style too, tho I was under the assumption that they were all the same with that family of 6 cylinders. I've been wrong before...
Hello John.., actually the dizzy does not make it past the hole on the block :(, in other words, the dizzy does not even make it to the oil pump shaft.

Thanks
Leo

I was under the assumption that they were all the same with that family of 6 cylinders. I've been wrong before...
The 144 and early 170's use a 1/4" hex drive shaft, late 170's use a 5/16" hex.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's good info to know. I've got a 170 out a 64.5 in mine currently, with plans to put a newer 200 in it when I have the time and the upgraded parts for it. Most of my experience with this family of engines revolves around the late 70's thru early 80's versions of these, as they were cheap and plentiful in my early days as a Auto Technician. I wonder if you can swap the vacuum advance, etc. out of the '68 distributor and fit it in the 64.5?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good info to know. I've got a 170 out a 64.5 in mine currently, with plans to put a newer 200 in it when I have the time and the upgraded parts for it. Most of my experience with this family of engines revolves around the late 70's thru early 80's versions of these, as they were cheap and plentiful in my early days as a Auto Technician. I wonder if you can swap the vacuum advance, etc. out of the '68 distributor and fit it in the 64.5?
From what I have read, NO. My distributary uses springs, the others do not. I am jut going to go with the DUI unit soon, as soon as Holley has the Sniper 1100 in stock. I know it is huge, but the advantages outweigh the dis-advantages.

Leo

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd guess that would be your best bet with installing the fuel injection setup. Good luck with the swap, and keep us posted with your progress on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts