Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I own a 66 Mustang coupe with the 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder and 3 speed manual transmission. The previous owner replaced the 2.77 3 speed manual with the heavier duty 3.03 3 speed manual. I need the nylon speedometer drive gear that mounts on the tail shaft. Mustang parts suppliers do not carry this gear.

From what I can determine the nylon gear has 7 teeth. I believe that the Ford part number is C3OZ-17285-C but I am not positive. The I.D. is 1 3/8". The O.D. is 2". The length is 11/16".

The speedometer drive gear from a 4 speed toploader will not work. The gear teeth are cut in the opposite direction. I think the speedometer drive gear is the same in a 2.77 and 3.03 manual transmission.

Let me know if you have one. Thank you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ivy66GT - Yes, that is the gear but it should by nylon. I was told by a transmission guy that I shouldn't mix a metal drive gear with a nylon driven gear. I put a bid on the Ebay gear anyway. Maybe I can use it.

I'm waiting for a response from Terry at T&B.

I'm at Carlisle today. My first priority is to look for this gear. I am still hoping that someone on this Forum has one or knows someone who has one.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Terry can be slow for uncommon questions. They don't make any money answering questions. Not having an answer immediately likely says these are hard to find.

I just noticed the eBay item has handwritten on the box: T-10 various (applications). I have a picture of my T-10 gear and its the opposite hand of the one shown in the eBay picture. I would be leery of whatever this guys sells since he apparently doesn't know what he has. I can't tell what its made of from the pictures. Could be black plastic.

The gear pictured there is for one with the cable on the drivers side. T-10 and toploader cables enter from the passengers side and use the same gear as far as I know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ivy66GT - I think a T-10 is a 5 speed correct? The 3 speed manual transmissions have the speedometer cable on the driver's side. The 4 speed top loader has the speedometer cable on the passenger side. The 4 speed gears will not work on a 3 speed transmission since the gears are cut opposite the 3 speed gears.

I did not find any gears at Carlisle but I did find good leads. I will contact the people when they return home from Carlisle.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
No, a T-10 was the first domestic 4-speed for sporty cars first used in a '57 Corvette and last used in some of the '66 Mustangs since Ford couldn't make toploaders fast enough. When it was reintroduced in the early 70s mostly for GM cars such as the Corvette it had some minor mods and was called a Super T-10 or ST-10.

The T-10 cable is on the passenger side just like a toploader.

A T-5 is a newer 5-speed.

The picture is of a '66 Mustang T-10 gear. Its not what the eBay seller has in his picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ivy66GT - Thanks for the info. If the speedometer cable goes in on the passenger side it won't work on my 3 speed. The 2.77 and 3.03 manual 3 speed transmissions have the speedometer cable on the driver's side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts