Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to convert my 93 5.0 to DIS. Mostly to get the distributor out of the way of a custom supercharger setup.
I know the EEC IV has the capability to control the DIS spark so I'd like to stay with it. I have a tweecer so I can make the necessary changes. Coil-on-plug would be nice but I dont mind coil pack
Has anyone done this conversion or know of what parts will work?

Thanks
Barry

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Explorer 5.0 V-8 with the coil packs and the cam sensor? Don't have any idea of how to work the wiring with the set-up you have. I do have the wiring diagrams for the Explorer if that would help.
Dave

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I have to say that's a new one. Check out the diagrams he has and see what's up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys.
I havent been able to find a lot of info out there.
My set up is a 89-93 Mustang efi wiring with EEC-IV. Hopefully the explorer used an EEC-IV controlled setup as well.

Dave, can you post or send the explorer diagrams?

Thanks.

Barry

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Barry,
That's where I saw the wiring problem. The 5.0 Explorer's were EEC-V, all of them. I can sure send you the diagrams if that would still help.
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barry,
That's where I saw the wiring problem. The 5.0 Explorer's were EEC-V, all of them. I can sure send you the diagrams if that would still help.
Dave
I think the diagrams may still help. I saw some references in BinaryEditor about scalars to enable for EDIS conversion.
This will require a lot more research.
Thanks All
Barry

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Barry,
Would send the diagrams but can't attach thme with this mail set-up. Did ask your question to another one good at using the Tweecer. He replied:

There are people who have setup EDIS on 89-93 EECs. The code even has provisions for it. To do so requires an EDIS8 ignition module which basically replaces the TFI module to control and fire the coil packs. A switch in the code has to be enabled to allow the computer to speak the "language" of the EDIS8 module instead of the TFI. Although I don't know anybody on the EEC Tuning forum that has successfully done this, only rumors of those who have.

I've never heard of anybody setting up a coil-on-plug setup since that is only feasible on OHC motors where the plug is down inside of a deep hole that the plug can fit in as well and be secured at both ends. Plugs cantilevered out on the side of the motor without support would not be the best idea. And even if you tried, I don't know of an EEC-IV solution to fire them.

I've been begging our resident BIN hacker to get to work breaking out a 97 Explorer V8 tune for us so that we'll have a 5.0L EEC-V true EDIS EEC as a tunable option. That also frees up the ability to use the cheaper Moates tuning chips and use the OBD-II port for datalogging instead of the TwEECer. But the cost of the high speed OBD-II datalogging hardware is right up there with the TwEECer in cost so there's little benefit cost-wise. It would just be nice to have the Explorer EECs as options. The next-best option is the 96 Mustang EEC which has a fair amount of support, but not nearly the polish and completeness that the 89-95 Mustang EECs have.

Dave (white to white, black to black and green can go anywhere, that's my wiring ability) Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barry,
Would send the diagrams but can't attach thme with this mail set-up. Did ask your question to another one good at using the Tweecer. He replied:

There are people who have setup EDIS on 89-93 EECs. The code even has provisions for it. To do so requires an EDIS8 ignition module which basically replaces the TFI module to control and fire the coil packs. A switch in the code has to be enabled to allow the computer to speak the "language" of the EDIS8 module instead of the TFI. Although I don't know anybody on the EEC Tuning forum that has successfully done this, only rumors of those who have.

I've never heard of anybody setting up a coil-on-plug setup since that is only feasible on OHC motors where the plug is down inside of a deep hole that the plug can fit in as well and be secured at both ends. Plugs cantilevered out on the side of the motor without support would not be the best idea. And even if you tried, I don't know of an EEC-IV solution to fire them.

I've been begging our resident BIN hacker to get to work breaking out a 97 Explorer V8 tune for us so that we'll have a 5.0L EEC-V true EDIS EEC as a tunable option. That also frees up the ability to use the cheaper Moates tuning chips and use the OBD-II port for datalogging instead of the TwEECer. But the cost of the high speed OBD-II datalogging hardware is right up there with the TwEECer in cost so there's little benefit cost-wise. It would just be nice to have the Explorer EECs as options. The next-best option is the 96 Mustang EEC which has a fair amount of support, but not nearly the polish and completeness that the 89-95 Mustang EECs have.

Dave (white to white, black to black and green can go anywhere, that's my wiring ability) Good luck!
Thanks for your help Dave. I think I now have a pretty good starting point for the conversion. Looks like EDIS-8 is the way to go. I'll post the setup if I get it going.

Thanks
Barry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive done more than heard of doing coil on cylinder i saw it at a car show he said he did it with ls1 coil packs and an msd box he wasnt around so its all i could see i think he did it for the turbo set up im guessing it works because it had plates on it and some really bald rear tires

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Ive done more than heard of doing coil on cylinder i saw it at a car show he said he did it with ls1 coil packs and an msd box he wasnt around so its all i could see i think he did it for the turbo set up im guessing it works because it had plates on it and some really bald rear tires
yeah, it can be done, it's not cheap, you need the "box" from AEM or similar, a crank position dizzy and the coils, you just run a short wire down to the plug..it's like what yeah, the LS vettes, etc use

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hate to bring up and old post, but is there anyway to do this to a carburetors engine, and if so, what are the steps to do so.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I hate to bring up and old post, but is there anyway to do this to a carburetors engine, and if so, what are the steps to do so.
Why the need for distributor less? 10 times easier(and cheaper) to just do a distributor style set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts