Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AM received a bad lot of Stack Racing Plenums.

I purchased an intake Plenum from AM on 1/14/2011, received the part yesterday and wanted to warn you all about a problem I ran into.

1st let me say AM was great about correcting the problem after sending some pics and a few phone calls.

Now for the problem that I hope none of you have to deal with.
After looking at all the posts about Plenums and what works well I thought I would take a chance and save a little $.:head_shot: I purchased the Stack Racing Polished Plenum that strongly resembles the Accufab plenum in design. The plenum was very poorly casted, the ID was 72MM not 75MM, and the Stack Racing logo was milled into the part upside down when oriented to the manifold (the lettering faces the firewall).

I knew some TLC with the Dermel may have to be applied to a lower priced part to bring the tolerances up to par, however I did not expect to receive such a low quality paperweight.:nono: The castings had huge voids, large deposits and the manifold side had a huge overhanging lip where it was milled and was crooked.:mad:

AM verified my claims, reviewed my photos and checked all of the Stack Racing plenums in their warehouse that they just received from the manufacture (they have been on backorder) and found that they received a defective lot. Everyone of the last lot that they received was bad.

They upgraded my purchase to an Accufab plenum for a minimal fee, paid for the shipping on the new part, and sent me an RMA and UPS tag to get the junk part back to them.:applause: Again AM was really cool about the issue and after seeing the crap they sent me they made things right.

I hope this post will prevent someone else from having to go through what I did. My advice to you is simple… Spend the extra money and get a higher quality part from the beginning.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I always have been leary of Stack Racing since I first saw them, this is why.

Glad it all worked out in your favor.:yup:

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Wow, that does look like crap. Either it was made on a friday afternoon or they just do a crappy job. But, when i bought my accufab plenum, it had a good amount of casting on the inside. it was probably made on a friday afternoon too. Made me miss my C&L but after smoothing it out, it was nice.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
lmao...you would think that the guy running the CNC would have seen he was cutting a mirror image on the part...that is too funny! Hate you luck, but thank you...too, too funny.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Wow, that does look like crap. Either it was made on a friday afternoon or they just do a crappy job. But, when i bought my accufab plenum, it had a good amount of casting on the inside. it was probably made on a friday afternoon too. Made me miss my C&L but after smoothing it out, it was nice.

Not so sure the day of the week this thing was made matters. If its an entire lot of parts..I'm guessing no one could speak English and was just doing the best they could with some picture instruction that are not made out in Chinese or Korean...Just a guess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kind of what I thought. I would not let that machinist work on my lawn mower…LMAO
Everything happens for a reason; unfortunately we don’t always know why. Attention to detail is everything, well for most of us :smilie.

I just wonder how many idiots are driving around with the screwed up ones on their Mustangs.

I should have the Accufab bolted up by next week and all will be well. It’s not a daily driver so I will survive the wait to do it right.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
yeah..just a saying if something is made crappy or something is messed up on anything. When it's friday and quiting time, you don't care and you hurry up to get off work.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Thanks for the warning I wouldn't have gave American Muscle
my business anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bladerunner, what's wrong with AM? I've never had a single problem with them thus far and I've never heard anything bad about customer service etc. IMO, they're a great supplier and do everything to keep their customers happy. What's your horror story???

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The mirrored image is actually kind of funny.

And those "sloppy castings" will be viseable in most plenums. SillyRabbit posted a picture of his C&L before he cleaned it up, and it didn't look much better.

I would have cleaned it up and kept it, just so that when people looked at it under the hood, they'd be like "WTF".......:yup:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Same reason he had a thread on how horrible SPEC clutches are......

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
What a POS dude!
I would have loved to see the expression on your face when you opened the box and saw the backward logo.

I've never had a problem with AM. Free shipping. Fast shipping. I'm out of parts that I need to order from them now, but I did quite a bit of business with them. Never anything but great service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts