Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so i have an 06 gt and it is a cert preowned car from the dealership. I got a bama-sct combo tuner awhile back and when i first originally tuned the car i discovered it already had a tune on it. It was a modest tune from what looked to be a ford pro-cal tool. So with that info i was wondering if it already had a tune from the dealership and i erase it and put a better one on will it void the warranty? Then again pretty much anything will, especially in california.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Hey everyone, so i have an 06 gt and it is a cert preowned car from the dealership. I got a bama-sct combo tuner awhile back and when i first originally tuned the car i discovered it already had a tune on it. It was a modest tune from what looked to be a ford pro-cal tool. So with that info i was wondering if it already had a tune from the dealership and i erase it and put a better one on will it void the warranty? Then again pretty much anything will, especially in california.
This is a tough call and I'm not sure on the exact answer. However, I'd honestly think your warranty should be in good shape since the car was tuned when you purchased it. All you did was add a better and safer tune! A tune is a tune so the car should be under warranty still.

I wouldn't recommend hiding this from the dealership, though. Being honest with them is sometimes the best thing! Remember, you bought a car that had a tune on it and it was under warranty.

Hope this helps and good luck! I hope you're enjoying your Bama tune.

-Dan

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Read the warranty, whatever is says in there is what matters.

Since the dealer probably did not acknowledge that the car had a tune when they sold it to you, that probably does not help you. Good luck getting them to acknowledge it now, but it is worth a try. (They probably won't even understand what a tune is, or will pretend they don't know what you are talking about . . . )

Remember "if it ain't in writing, it doesn't exist" -- so get them to put it in writing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do you have a Ford extended warranty like the ESP (which is really more of an insurance policy), or is it from a 3rd party?

In general, no single change (i.e., a tune) will totally void a Ford extended warranty. However, if you make a change and they can determine it caused a failure, then the warranty may be void for that particular item that failed.

For example, if you bring it in for a warranty claim for a rear axle failure it would be very hard to prove it was related to the tune. However, if you bring it in for a warranty repair because a hole is blown in one piston, they may look very hard at the tune as a possible cause.

Bruce

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes its a extended warranty with the car. Glad to hear that it wont totally it. Thanks for the info bruce!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Do you have a Ford extended warranty like the ESP (which is really more of an insurance policy), or is it from a 3rd party?

In general, no single change (i.e., a tune) will totally void a Ford extended warranty. However, if you make a change and they can determine it caused a failure, then the warranty may be void for that particular item that failed.

For example, if you bring it in for a warranty claim for a rear axle failure it would be very hard to prove it was related to the tune. However, if you bring it in for a warranty repair because a hole is blown in one piston, they may look very hard at the tune as a possible cause.

Bruce
Agree!!!! additionally be honest with the dealer....you will read....ahhh just put back the oem tune, well,

Ecoboost motors and PCM flashing - FORD - FlatRateTech
Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:30 AM
Fullsizeblazin “They most definitely can! Once they pull the Mode 9 file on the IDS all your dirty little secrets will be revealed and your warranty will be promptly voided.”

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Flash the OEM tune and then disconnect the battery for a short time. They'll have no idea it was flashed.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Flash the OEM tune and then disconnect the battery for a short time. They'll have no idea it was flashed.
Please see above....it can be detected.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mode 9 data does not show flash count.

Your typical Ford dealership tech can NOT detect the car has been tuned. This point has been argued several times on many different forums.

Before you flame me telling me I don't know what i'm talking about. Read my post HERE

Cheers,
-Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts