Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Ford Racing came out with the Power Pack, Handling Pack and Drag Pack... Thinking that might be an expensive but effective way to pick up 20 HP and keep my warranty, I ran down to the dealer. The service department said they would have no problem ordering it up and installing it, but "it might void the warranty". What? It's a 50 state legal mod made by Ford specifically for the Mustang GT that doesn't touch the engine internals (mass air, high flow breather and high flow mufflers) and it "might void the warranty"?

They were supposed to call me back but have not yet. Anyone else running into this kind of problem? Also, has anyone else found any good mods that won't void the factory drive train warranty?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just read the disclaimer in the performance parts book.They are quick to to cover their backsides.I wonder how they can offer parts for 05' and 06' models,I figure most of the parts they offer would sit there and collect dust for at least 3 three years when the first of the warranties expire. Ford does have a responsibility and it comes down to lawsuits reguarding high performance applications.I have inquired about adding Hi-Po Ford parts through the dealer ship and most applications like the handling package would be covered at a lesser time period,and depending on if there is a warranty on the parts you bought. Although I'm enjoying my new Mustang,Ford is making it difficult so you can personlize your ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One of the only reasons people are investing in aftermarket parts for these cars is because of some deficiency in the first place:

1.) Suspension jacked up and too soft...no IRS
2.) Engine doesn't have enough power or torque
3.) Tires are too wimpy, etc.
4.) Shifter is mushy and vague

If Ford had made the car right in the first place, there would be no need for the huge aftermarket. But there is, so what does that tell you? People aren't happy with the cars the way they're delivered.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tungsten said:
One of the only reasons people are investing in aftermarket parts for these cars is because of some deficiency in the first place:

If Ford had made the car right in the first place, there would be no need for the huge aftermarket. But there is, so what does that tell you? People aren't happy with the cars the way they're delivered.
I disagree completely...the idea that any car company can make a car that, from the factory, would be so perfect that there would be no aftermarket is just plain silly. Even cars like the Ford GT (the real one) or the Lambo Gallardo are still customized by buyers, and those are about as close as one can get to a modern-day perfect car. Customizing cars is not necessarily about upgrading deficient parts (incidentally, anyone who says that a 300 HP/320lb ft engine doesn't have enough power or torque...well, I wish you the best of luck in your traffic court dates), it is also about making a car uniquely yours.

And to expect a perfect car for $25-30K...that is even more silly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tungsten said:

Most people are happy with thier cars the way they came from the factory. Ford could have added all the extra features and raised the cost. Why did yoy buy your mustang? What have you added? Is there any car you can't buy aftermarket parts for?
On my GT I have added 20inch wheels with nitto 555 tires,cai,under pullies, sct tune,short throw shifter and tinted windows. dyno results show I added 47 hp. I was happy with stock engine preformance, I just added a few touches that I wanted. If you want a car to fit your style and needs you have to create it yourself. Spend the money,be happy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tungsten said:

Tungsten, I have to totally disagree as well. All car companies tweak their cars for the target market. Specifically:
1. Suspension is just right for the majority of buyers. To soft for some, to harsh for some. For me, just the right height, a tad soft. I would have preferred an IRS..I'd agree this was a questionable decison on HTT's part.
2. 300hp and 320lb-ft are very respectable numbers for a car of this weight. The GT's success proves that. For me, I'd like more, even though this is the fastest car I have owned.
3. The Nero's are excellent all around tires. Highly rated - check tirerack.com and other sources.
4. The shifter is a good balance of daily drivability and quick throw.

I believe there is a huge Mustang aftermarket because there are so many damn Mustangs, the Mustang is a performance icon with a market who is inherently interested in more and more performance of some sort or customization. The aftermarket supports each particular goal: drag race, street race and looking cool. You cannot create a single specification for a drag racing, street racing, nice riding cool looking car without spending tons and still suffering compromises in at least one of these areas.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
agree to disagree with tungsten. even i bought a 07 cobra with 450+ hp it wouldnt be enough, id still modify it. thats what being an enthusiast is all about. who the hell buys a car like the mustang and doesnt modify it? even if its just wheels? for me thats half the fun. i wouldnt be happy with a new car that had nothing to improve on it. if there was no aftermarket for the new stang i would not have bought one. heck, one of the biggest reasons for the purchase was that i knew buying a mustang that i would have a car that i could literally take in ANY direction. mustang is one of the most customizable cars on the road and has been for some time. the aftermarket is huge. that attracted me. and as far as ford building them right the first time. they did. ask 100 different people how the "right" mustang should have been built and youll most likely get 100 different answers b/c everyones perception is different. ford wasnt trying to please everyone. they know thats not possible. jack it up and some will say its too high... put it low and some will say its too low. i personally think a couple inches off it will improve its stance. ford obviously thinks i am in the minority. i most likely am. of the thousands of stangs sold to date only a small fraction of owners will lower the car. the majority will keep the stock height. some of those will look at mine and say its too low. ford built the car based on what they thought the MAJORITY of potential buyers will like. my ideal color for the new stang is tungsten. i dont want any other color. does that mean that ford should have made all of them tungsten to get it right? just like the color, everyones view of what the S197 should be is different. :sterb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
GTNOS said:
agree to disagree with tungsten. even i bought a 07 cobra with 450+ hp it wouldnt be enough, id still modify it. thats what being an enthusiast is all about. who the hell buys a car like the mustang and doesnt modify it?
Agree to disagree with ya pal. Not to sound like the old fart around here, but many of us DO NOTHING to our vehicles. My dad would freak out if I had asked or told him to modify HIS 67 pony. Left it EXACTLY as it came from the factory. Maybe that's why it still runs like the day it was manufactured.

Personally, I'm only modifying mine per saleen specs. Suspension, supercharger and body mods, except for the rear end, which I think is butt ugly. Much of the aftermarket is just crap. Since Saleen works hand in hand with Ford, as well as Rousch, and maybe Steeda, I'm not trusting my girl to any other subs. I don't trust them. Either go with these mods or none at all. IMHO.

I'm still debating just leaving her as is. I can smoke just about any ricer and most other American vehicles as is. Maybe after my warranty expires, but I'm undecided as yet. Time will tell. :winks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts