Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the new 2012 5.0 on Memorial Day because I've read nothing but great reviews, saw awesome videos of the car performing, and well I've always wanted a Mustang since I had first gotten my license. I have a good job that offered X Plan pricing so I went to the dealer and ordered the new Grabber Blue 5.0. The only thing is now I'm reading nothing but bad things about the transmission. Every other post I read people can't shift into 2nd, and can't downshift from 4th to 3rd, to 2nd and so on. I'm just wondering so I can ease my mind a little. Are these transmissions going because people beat the hell out of their car, or because Ford really just really f-ed up with the manufacturing? Some answers would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think people were only having those issues because of the skip shift feature which I believe you can get rid of with a tuner, or so iv heard.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think its time to re-name this section Classic 5.0 Mustang Talk and Tech. Recently many people are shooting in here not realizing that this section is for the foxbody 5.0s

And i understand what your saying. Every time i go into the section for the new 5.0s i see stuff about the transmission problems. Not everyone has the problems with there 2011 so i wouldn't worry about it much when your getting a Camaro killer :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think its time to re-name this section Classic 5.0 Mustang Talk and Tech. Recently many people are shooting in here not realizing that this section is for the foxbody 5.0s
just like how they always say theyre a 5.0L member. i agree, they need to specify this as the fox body section.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Unfortunately.... ppl don't start threads saying..."my mt82 is working as advertised" so get rdy to only hear from the ppl with issues.... my 0.02 cents

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I have heard both sides but only truly seen one with a problem.

Now about the different 5.0 sections well you could specify the fast 5.0 section for the pushrods and the "others" 5.0 which would be the slower guys:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I tend to agree that the tranny thing is prolly a non-issue...if you count all of the people that are complaining, and then compare that to the thousands of the new GTs that have been sold...I just doubt it is hugely significant. Even so, the car has a warranty...100,000 powertrain?? Not too sure, but...that should offer some peace of mind.

As for distinguishing the "New" 5.0 section from the "Cool" 5.0 section...

I kind of like the idea of labeling us as "Classic"...

·
Registered
66 Posts
how about NEW 5.0 section and REAL 5.0 section! :winks
Buuuut, it would be NEW 5.0 section and technically, REAL 4.9 section...just sayin

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Buuuut, it would be NEW 5.0 section and technically, REAL 4.9 section...just sayin
To be honest, I have wondered about the rounding issue on the 302 before...

You would think that a company like Ford that employs what, 100s, 1000s of engineers would have someone capable of properly executing a simple mathematics function like rounding to the tenths digit correctly...

In second grade, I learned that if the number (when right of the decimal) to the right of the place you are rounding to is less than 5, then you go down...

So, how come Ford can round 4.942 to 5.0 and get away with it? I mean, they could call it a 5 and be correct...but that is just dorky...so, did they just make a determination that the sound of "5.0" was superior to technical accuracy? Or, is there another reason...

Maybe the extra little bit of displacement comes from some extra dimension...bad-a55ed-ness adds a little somethin' somethin' that is not to be found in any other engine??

:headscratch:

·
Registered
384 Posts
To be honest, I have wondered about the rounding issue on the 302 before...

You would think that a company like Ford that employs what, 100s, 1000s of engineers would have someone capable of properly executing a simple mathematics function like rounding to the tenths digit correctly...

In second grade, I learned that if the number (when right of the decimal) to the right of the place you are rounding to is less than 5, then you go down...

So, how come Ford can round 4.942 to 5.0 and get away with it? I mean, they could call it a 5 and be correct...but that is just dorky...so, did they just make a determination that the sound of "5.0" was superior to technical accuracy? Or, is there another reason...

Maybe the extra little bit of displacement comes from some extra dimension...bad-a55ed-ness adds a little somethin' somethin' that is not to be found in any other engine??

:headscratch:
Although I'm not sure of the exact reason I'm sure it's the exact same reason Chevy can call their 346 a 350 and get away with it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
chevy's 350 is actually 349.6 :bigthumbsup
I was thinking of the LS1 engine....I'm not up on much of my chevy tech prior to that with the exceptions of the stingrays.
Everyone I know misidentifies the LS1 as a 350. I always enjoy reminding them it's smaller than that:smartass:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
LOL what is 4.9 rounded up?
Its 5. Not 5.0. 5.0 implies that there is precision to the tenths place, which there is not in the case of rounding 4.9.

You cannot round to the tenths place unless you know the hundredths digit.

In the case of the 302, the hundredths digit is a 4. 4.942. Which is less than 5, so if you are rounding to the tenths digit, it would be 4.9.

Here is a link about significant figures. Its Wiki, but its accurate.

Significant figures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
384 Posts
But since we're calling them 5.0's it would seem we're making it a rational number.
In that case 4.9 does round up to 5
However you're correct that saying 5.0 means a definite 5

However I think I will continue to overlook this minute difference until Chevy lovers call their 350's 349.x

1 - 20 of 20 Posts