Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..

I really like the 2013 Mustang (V6 manual trans with performance package).. but I don't want to take the depreciation on a brand new car.. so I'm looking for a used 2012...

Was the "performance package" available in 2012? If so - how would I be able to identify it by looking at the VIN or options on the car?

If the performance package was NOT available on the 2012 model year, were there different axle ratios available? What about spring/sway bar options?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hey all..

I really like the 2013 Mustang (V6 manual trans with performance package).. but I don't want to take the depreciation on a brand new car.. so I'm looking for a used 2012...

Was the "performance package" available in 2012? If so - how would I be able to identify it by looking at the VIN or options on the car?

If the performance package was NOT available on the 2012 model year, were there different axle ratios available? What about spring/sway bar options?
Thanks for your help!
Yes, the performance package was available on Manual transmission V6 Mustangs in the 2012 model year.

The Performance Package will be listed under the "Optional Equipment" section of the window sticker. There's a website where you can look up window stickers based on a VIN.

The 3.31 rear axle was also available as a stand-alone option, I believe. Someone will have to verify.

Upgraded springs/sway bars were not available outside of the performance package for the V6.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the performance package was available on Manual transmission V6 Mustangs in the 2012 model year.

The Performance Package will be listed under the "Optional Equipment" section of the window sticker. There's a website where you can look up window stickers based on a VIN.

The 3.31 rear axle was also available as a stand-alone option, I believe. Someone will have to verify.

Upgraded springs/sway bars were not available outside of the performance package for the V6.
Awesome, thanks for the info!! I'll have to find that site to look up info by VIN.. as many of the dealers are using all the standard features on their listed description of the vehicle...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Here is where you can convert the VIN into a window sticker. Not sure if it will actually work with model years prior to 2013, but worth a try. Just add the VIN after the final equals sign, then put it into your browser:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=

For example (notice V6 Performance Package is listed in the bottom left):

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1ZVBP8AM5D5240154

EDIT: Just tried it on some 2012 VINs, and it works. Hopefully it helps out with your search!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hey all..

Thanks for your help!
Not sure if this helps, but you can still use the Build and Price feature for the 2012 Mustangs on the Ford website too which might help you fine tune what you might be looking for. Plus it's fun/theraputic when you are in the shopping/looking/dreaming/drooling phase. If it were possible to wear a hole in the internet, I probably would have last year when I was working on getting ahold of my car. :D

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
3.31 was a stand alone option. I had it on my car.

B

·
0 Posts
Yep, you could get 3.31s ala cart, but a lot of them had the security package bundled with it like mine did. If you buy used, I doubt you'd pay extra for the gear package since most dealers won't even know what's in it. If you're considering swapping gears later on, I wouldn't be too concerned which gears it has unless you think it will take you a long time to get to that mod.

Sent from the iPhone's killer's killer!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys!

Wow, only 1000 of them made - yeah, might be very hard to find one ... I would be better off trying to find one with the 3.31 gears, and then upgrading the suspension/wheels on my own.... that would be axle code CG on the label in the door jamb, right? Unfortunately, I'm finding that many dealers aren't posting gear ratios in their online ads :(

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
gecko, if you stick with the base model/PP pack ordering new should cost 22-24 + TTL that's the way I went.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You don't want the stage coach looking, wagon wheels of the 12s anyway. Order a 13, just the way you want it. Depreciation? That's easy. Just don't sell it.

Go to the V6 section. Look at the thread entitle, something like "I just joined". That's a sharp car.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't want the stage coach looking, wagon wheels of the 12s anyway. Order a 13, just the way you want it. Depreciation? That's easy. Just don't sell it.

Go to the V6 section. Look at the thread entitle, something like "I just joined". That's a sharp car.
Trust me, I'd love to have a '13 .. and I agree that the wheels on the '12 PP look horrible... however... I can get a used '12 for about $5-$6k less than a new '13 ... we're moving into a new house soon (escrow closes in a couple weeks), and I would like to avoid a $500 monthly car payment... so,... I can get basically the same car that someone else has driven a bit, and save a good chunk of money...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts