Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day my engine looked like it could use a rinse just to get the dust off, I have gone to the car washes with my other cars and rinsed off the engine compartment with no problems but looking at my new V8 here for some reason just a little nervous about it. Can you just do a quick rinse with the pressure washer?? or will it cause problems?? then how can I do just a quick clean job?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It has been my experience to always cover up the electrical parts; if possible use some sort of plastic bag and a rubber band to secure the bag in place. Specially if you have a CAI

·
Registered
922 Posts
It has been my experience to always cover up the electrical parts; if possible use some sort of plastic bag and a rubber band to secure the bag in place. Specially if you have a CAI
and the alternator too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Use plain old plastic wrap. Mark each one with a piece of bright tape. Like painters blue trim tape. COUNT how you put on (10). Take off the (10)

Nothing like forgetting one and having the smell of burning plastic.
Wrap every electrical connection you can.
Also put a layer of plastic wrap on your fenders to keep the chemical off the wax. Take two sets of hands, just stretch out a long 4'to5' piece and lay it flat on the fender.

We use "SIMPLY GREEN DEGREASER". It works very well for minor degreasing.
Either mix it in a small hand held squirt bottle or we use a hand pressurized BUG SPRAYER. Best done on a warm sunny day....

Spray it on let it sit 5 min. spray again wait 3min.
Then use your garden hose to rinse everything off.
DO NOT USE A POWER WASHER~!!!!!!!!!!
The electrical system is design for moderate water.
Then quickly take off all the plastic wrap and take the car for a ten minute drive to dry it off.
Open hood and check for any puddles (like in the spark plug valleys) Use a air hose to finish the job.
Then WASH YOUR CAR

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Seems like there are electrical components everwhere in the engine bay. Would it be easier to just wipe the motor down with a wet rag?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Seems like there are electrical components everwhere in the engine bay. Would it be easier to just wipe the motor down with a wet rag?
thats exactly what i have done and plan on doing. i am too cautious to spray a garden hose into my engine bay even though i know everything i need to cover up to do it right. it just doesn't seem right to squirt water in there. besides, it more of a "personal" experience by hand rubbing it down :shiny:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I start with a cool engine, never water down a hot engine.

Cover my CAI filter with a plastic grocery bag, spray on some simple green, let it sit a minute, use a sponge and wipe down the basics, and occasionally use a paint brush to get the tight areas.

Then I hose it down.

I get my leaf blow and blow off the battery, computer, and the injector areas, and any other water collecting areas, just to get sitting water out.

Then I crank her up, let her run for 2-3 minutes.

Then shut her down, and wash the rest of the car.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
thats exactly what i have done and plan on doing. i am too cautious to spray a garden hose into my engine bay even though i know everything i need to cover up to do it right. it just doesn't seem right to squirt water in there. besides, it more of a "personal" experience by hand rubbing it down :shiny:
I hope your garage door is closed when you're doing that:laugh:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great advice given here, I personally clean the engine bay with a soapy rag. But you should check your drivers manual, there's a picture of the engine bay with what they suggest you should cover up before cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.