Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mustang's passenger side rear floorboard, the floor behind the shotgun seat, has had water forming under the carpet.

A pool of water has been forming on the floor. I'll use a towel to soak up as much of it as possible and ring it out four to five times while water is still coming from the floor.

I first noticed this about a month ago when I used the Air Conditioning for the first time. Each time I use it the floorboard floods. Obvious thinking says the AC is causing this, but how exactly is this happening? I didn't realize it was the AC until today because I thought maybe I dumped a drink on accident in the seat cause I very rarely us AC.

I'm thinking of taking it to Ford because there is no trustworthy shop nearby. I'll probably need new carpet so I don't get mold. It's been damp for over a month. But does anyone have a theory on why this is happening? It's a 2000 V6 manual.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all positive input.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you do plan on replacing the carpet i suggest heading over to AmericanMuscle.com they will have everything you need to get the job done. as far as the leak goes i would definitely take it to ford because I'm not really sure as to why thats happening, but maybe there is some sort of hose running under your car near that area where the water is forming and either the hose is giving off a lot of condensation or it is leaking something? again just a guess but i hope i helped haha :bigthumbsup good luck

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
maybe the drain that normally lets the condensation drip out under the car in the engine bay is clogged so its backing up into the passenger compartment..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update, I went to the car after not driving for nearly 12 hours and after drying it out last night when I got home and the same spot was flooded again. It did rain last night, but not enough to raise concern. I still have no idea what the cause is. I'll be taking it to Ford on Tuesday. And AM has the right carpet and all the equipment to get the job done. I was already planning on going to them!!! :bigthumbsup But until I can get this fixed I can't do anything. And I was thinking it was an AC runoff drain, but it's just wierd how it effects everything and floods the whole side and under the shotgun seat as well. I've never seen anything like it.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Check the AC drain on the right front firewall. Sometimes bugs (dirt dobbers) will make their home in it. This blocks the flow of water that should be draining outside of the car.

Has this car been in an accident? If so, this is another possibility. Often after an accident, the firewall will buckle and break the AC drain away from the bottom of the catch pan. If you go to a salvage yard and have sharp eyes, almost half the the Mustangs hit from the front will have this same break.

This could also be leaking from the body seal between the door and floor pan. On my 2003, had this problem with rain water backing up inside the door channel. The water would seap under the body seal and accumlate in the rear floor boads.

My vote. If it's the AC drain, then the front passenger's foot well will be wet as well. So if it's JUST the rear floor boards that are wet, look for a leaking body seal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes complete sense wmburns, because the front floorboards are dry and we have had a few rainy days. It's wierd, the car hasn't been in an accident that I know of. I've had it about 14 months and it just started having this problem. I think the leaking body seal could be it.

Would it make sense if the broken seal was in the rear wheel well? Where exactly should I start looking for this broken seal?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Get under the car and look for the body drain plugs. Clean.

Take the rear seat out. It's easy.

Pull the carpets up so that you can see the seam between the floor pans and the door seals.

Run water starting around the door frame and rear window. See if you can spot were the water is coming from.

I have cases where I have left the carpets up for several days before finding where water is leaking from (non Mustangs). Obviously the fix depends upon where the water is leaking from.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. I'm workin on it this week. It's a pain in the ass in the heatwave we are having, but I gotta fix it. Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!!!

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
My 05 was having similar problems, there is a service bulletin posted here that helped me to fix it, and the basic issues may help you. These are all under the hood, and sealing should be done with a urethane sealant, not silicone. Check the drain holes in the cabin fresh air plenum to make sure they are not clogged. Check the pinch weld at the top of the firewall. You may need to take out the inner fender to get to all of it. Check the wire boots for cracking. Check all rubber hole plugs. I also found a large hole from the former owner's installation of an amplifier.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My Mustang's passenger side rear floorboard, the floor behind the shotgun seat, has had water forming under the carpet.

A pool of water has been forming on the floor. I'll use a towel to soak up as much of it as possible and ring it out four to five times while water is still coming from the floor.
I had water coming in under the rear passenger seat of my 96. I tore the interior out to find that the rear wheel well rotted so badly that I needed it to get repaired. I had about a 1/2" gap where the wheel well meets the interior side of the car. You could see daylight. It seems like the caulking started falling out and I guess that is when the water attacked the steel causing it to corrode. All good now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts