Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 2001 Cobra. He changed his oil this weekend and when he unscrewed the filter antifreeze ran out. It was just a drip but it was there none the less. He said and ive heard a rattle on start up. It only does it for a second, but when at hwy speed it sounds like cheap gas. Kinda like the valves and if he touches the gas it stops. We think a blown head gasket, but there is no water in the oil. Is there something else it could be, or is he screwed? Probablly doesnt matter but the car has about 60k on it.

R

·
0 Posts
I'll bet the leak is from either the gasket at the oil filter housing to engine block, oil cooler, which is between the oil filter and oil filter housing or 1 of the 3 O-Rings joining the oil cooler to the housing on the block.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the noise. We listened to it this morning after work. I heard it atleast 30 yards away. After it warmed up he sat there and reved it slightly and it really sounded like a rod or valve. Definetly a very audiable knock. Still no oil in the oil pan though. He hopes it is something major, he has his wife talked into letting him get a 03-04 Cobra motor. Told her it would cost the same as getting his rebuilt.

R

·
0 Posts
what weight oil is he using?
the Ford head gaskets are pretty good, havn't seen very many blow, even on high-boost cars, do a comp test or better yet a leak down test

·
Registered
138 Posts
what to do

Well if his wife says its ok to get an 03 or 04 cobra. Then sell the car he has as is and buy the 03 or 04. He and her will be much happier. Good luck on the 2001. Hope it is not major.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.