Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reoccurring problem with my 2014 GT. That water is draining into the cabin and settles on the driverside rear passenger foot well at the driveshaft tunnel.

I have taken the car apart and blown out the cowl drains, blown out the trunk drains and taken off the tail lights and cleaned behind those. I took off the bulb seal and the plastic retainer, replaced the seal on the plastic retainer. Had the interior taken all apart to dry it out. Thought that I had found the leak with the seal on the plastic retainer being bad, it showed traces of dirt on the interior side of the seal.

Well long story short 2 weeks later there is water in the rear foot well again. Am I missing another source of a bad seal? I park on a slight incline so I don't believe it would be anything behind the b-pillar.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
Did you check to see if the water is coming in from the rear side window,could have a bad seal there,you for sure wouldn't be the first.Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you check to see if the water is coming in from the rear side window,could have a bad seal there,you for sure wouldn't be the first.Good luck and keep us posted
That's where I originally thought the leak was coming from, but then I realized the water would have to run uphill from that window, since the back end is facing down. I haven't ruled it out though, just was my last troubleshoot ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Did you try having someone spray the car with a hose while you are inside inspecting possible sources for the leak? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Water could it be coming from the A/C evaporator housing. If the evaporator drain gets plugged with debris, water will condense in the evaporator housing on the passenger side and run in the car instead of through the drain to the street. The moisture comes from the A/C compressor running when using the window defogger/defroster. Have you blown the evaporator drain out with compressed air.

Reactions: Yadkin

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Water could it be coming from the A/C evaporator housing. If the evaporator drain gets plugged with debris, water will condense in the evaporator housing on the passenger side and run in the car instead of through the drain to the street. The moisture comes from the A/C compressor running when using the window defogger/defroster. Have you blown the evaporator drain out with compressed air.
This will happen with my daughter's 05 and has to be cleaned routinely. Also the seals around this unit under the hood tend to leak- a simple fix by cleaning up then resealing with a urethane caulk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where is the drain located for that? I am not super familiar with HVAC stuff. From what I have read and been told if it were a clogged evap drain it would flood the front passenger floor, but who knows water loves to travel. Thank you!

So I sprayed the car down last night. My wife sat inside, and she couldn't see any soapy water come down the B-Pillar, and nothing leaking from the quarter window. We are going to try it again when we have some light, and aren't chasing these leak with flashlights. She seems to think water is only getting into the car while driving in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
So I sprayed the car down last night. My wife sat inside, and she couldn't see any soapy water come down the B-Pillar, and nothing leaking from the quarter window. We are going to try it again when we have some light, and aren't chasing these leak with flashlights. She seems to think water is only getting into the car while driving in the rain.
She could be right,remove the rear wheel and check to see if there is any damage or tears in the wheel liner,I had a spot on my 2011 that wasn't sealed as much as I would have liked,didn't have any water leakage but I put a bead of silcone around it.Keep us posted.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Where is the drain located for that? I am not super familiar with HVAC stuff. From what I have read and been told if it were a clogged evap drain it would flood the front passenger floor, but who knows water loves to travel. Thank you!

I found an article with video for unclogging the evap drain. It is for a V-6, but the A/C evap drain location should be the same on a GT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I can't find any drains not draining, or any that are slow. I am taking it to a body shop tomorrow. See what they end up saying. I will let everyone know what they find.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Something to be aware of is that the transverse panel stiffener that the fronts of the seat brackets bolt into is not fully sealed to the floorpan itself. Water does freely migrate front to back (or the reverse if you were to jack the rear of the car up). I suspect that was done intentionally, as there are a couple of plugs in the rear footwell but none in the front.

Passenger side looking down and toward the rear from the doorway. A little of the transmission tunnel shows in the upper right corner of the picture. Yeah, I'm dealing with a leak and have already attempted the TSB. Car is at least 20% a track car, so I didn't mind cutting the carpet to help find out what was going on.

Seat crossmember.JPG

Additionally, if the seal for the side glass is deteriorated or damaged, water can also find a way to the floor that way as well.

Norm

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a reoccurring problem with my 2014 GT. That water is draining into the cabin and settles on the driverside rear passenger foot well at the driveshaft tunnel.

I have taken the car apart and blown out the cowl drains, blown out the trunk drains and taken off the tail lights and cleaned behind those. I took off the bulb seal and the plastic retainer, replaced the seal on the plastic retainer. Had the interior taken all apart to dry it out. Thought that I had found the leak with the seal on the plastic retainer being bad, it showed traces of dirt on the interior side of the seal.

Well long story short 2 weeks later there is water in the rear foot well again. Am I missing another source of a bad seal? I park on a slight incline so I don't believe it would be anything behind the b-pillar.

Thanks!
Had this issue with my wife's '07. Take the rubber flapper valve out of the bottom of the pan where the cabin filter is. It gets clogged with debris and water flows down and in the rear interior pan. You wouldn't think so but it does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts