Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it took me alot longer then i thought to do this Mod..LOL...alot of little things to do..But the end result is Awesome..car feels like it picked up alot..temps stay cool car pulls like a freight Train....Question tho is it supossed to give it more HP??? It feels like it gave it a small shot of nitrous...added to the 10 psi of boost...oh yeah its a Snow meth kit stage 2 i installed great kit...im using -20 degress windshield washer fluid mixed with 4 yellow bottles of Heet...that should be a 50/50 mix i think...Now i need to get it to the track and see what she runs:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 its 2 bottles to a gallon two you just added that with no tune? :nono:

Oh so what did i do i added more meth then?...so the mixture isnt 50/50? Thats ok i have locked timing set at 21 degrees and No tune and my car is Speed density i guess im batting a 1000..lol..Seemed to run great tho..and its a 3 qt reseivor i can empty it out and start over...What is the ill effects of to much Heet? mixed with windshield washer fluid...Oh and im never getting a tune this is a back yard old school set-up the car is an 87 they didnt do tunes back then so i should be ok for awhile...unless i get to greedy with boost....

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i found this out from the Guy i bought the snow meth kit from he says 2-3 bottles of heet ok i went i extra i should be ok guys run 100% meth plus washer fluid isnt consistant next time i will add 2-3 but i think for now i should be ok?

Hi there,
Listed are tech tips from Snow Performance on injection fluids. Any additional comments by me are in blue.

Ideal mixture is 50/50 water to methanol. This will result in the best combination of intake cooling and fuel octane increase.

We do not recommend using 100% methanol. Methanol has a low flash point and can ignite if it spills on the engine. At least 25% water by volume should be used to reduce the risk. Testing done by myself and Snow Performance shows that [email protected]% and distilled [email protected]% will yield the most HP.

If you have a local supply of methanol and want to mix your own injection fluid, use distilled water. Tap water has many minerals that can clog your injection system overtime (Remove the cold water line from the back of your washing machine for example)

Window Washer Fluid:
Most window washer fluids of the -20F to -25F contain on average 30-36% methanol and can be used with your injection system. To increase the volume of methanol, mix 2-3 of the yellow 12oz bottles of HEET gas line antifreeze. HEET is about 98% methanol. Cougar5.0 wrote up a list of most if not all windshield washer fluids percentage of methanol. I couldn't find the link but maybe he'll post it if he has it.

DO NOT use any window washer fluids of the -30F or -40F that are not blue as most contain propylene glycol (anti-freeze) that will be harmful to your engine. Also washer fluids with a freezing point greater then -20F will contain very little methanol.

Boost Juice:
It is a standardized mix of 50/50 water/methanol and can be poured right in, no mixing required. Your kit will carry a lifetime warranty as long as you use Boost Juice

Denatured Alcohol:
I have not done any testing with this, but it is available at most hardware stores and is a mixture of Methanol and Ethanol and can be mixed 50/50 by volume with water. Note that ethanol is more prone to evaporation then methanol so the octane benefit of this type of mixture will decrease over time.

See ya
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just curious....if you are increasing the effective octane rating and reducing the combustion temperature and thus the risk of detonation, why do you need a tune?

·
Registered
123 Posts
just started looking into meth kit. how often do you guys have to fill up your taks with the boost juice. Also once the system is hooked up, its in use 100% of the time correct? not like nitrous where you flip a switch right.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just started looking into meth kit. how often do you guys have to fill up your taks with the boost juice. Also once the system is hooked up, its in use 100% of the time correct? not like nitrous where you flip a switch right.

That depends on how much boost your running and how much your on it...lol No it has a control box that either grabs a MAF single or Boost single...i have mine set up to start spraying at 2 psi and then be all in by 7 psi..when it starts spraying at 2 psi its only at 10% when it hits the 7 psi its all in at 100% that is so you dont quench the motor...aka flood it you dont want to spray to much it will bog the motor until you are in full boost....then spray it all...Hope this helps...

·
Registered
123 Posts
That depends on how much boost your running and how much your on it...lol No it has a control box that either grabs a MAF single or Boost single...i have mine set up to start spraying at 2 psi and then be all in by 7 psi..when it starts spraying at 2 psi its only at 10% when it hits the 7 psi its all in at 100% that is so you dont quench the motor...aka flood it you dont want to spray to much it will bog the motor until you are in full boost....then spray it all...Hope this helps...
Ok thanks. gotchya...

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Ok i found this out from the Guy i bought the snow meth kit from he says 2-3 bottles of heet ok i went i extra i should be ok guys run 100% meth plus washer fluid isnt consistant next time i will add 2-3 but i think for now i should be ok?

Hi there,
Listed are tech tips from Snow Performance on injection fluids. Any additional comments by me are in blue.

Ideal mixture is 50/50 water to methanol. This will result in the best combination of intake cooling and fuel octane increase.

We do not recommend using 100% methanol. Methanol has a low flash point and can ignite if it spills on the engine. At least 25% water by volume should be used to reduce the risk. Testing done by myself and Snow Performance shows that [email protected]% and distilled [email protected]% will yield the most HP.

If you have a local supply of methanol and want to mix your own injection fluid, use distilled water. Tap water has many minerals that can clog your injection system overtime (Remove the cold water line from the back of your washing machine for example)

Window Washer Fluid:
Most window washer fluids of the -20F to -25F contain on average 30-36% methanol and can be used with your injection system. To increase the volume of methanol, mix 2-3 of the yellow 12oz bottles of HEET gas line antifreeze. HEET is about 98% methanol. Cougar5.0 wrote up a list of most if not all windshield washer fluids percentage of methanol. I couldn't find the link but maybe he'll post it if he has it.

DO NOT use any window washer fluids of the -30F or -40F that are not blue as most contain propylene glycol (anti-freeze) that will be harmful to your engine. Also washer fluids with a freezing point greater then -20F will contain very little methanol.

Boost Juice:
It is a standardized mix of 50/50 water/methanol and can be poured right in, no mixing required. Your kit will carry a lifetime warranty as long as you use Boost Juice

Denatured Alcohol:
I have not done any testing with this, but it is available at most hardware stores and is a mixture of Methanol and Ethanol and can be mixed 50/50 by volume with water. Note that ethanol is more prone to evaporation then methanol so the octane benefit of this type of mixture will decrease over time.

See ya
Michael Plummer

First, you dont even know how to mix it now your giving advice on how to use it?LMAO internet

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, you dont even know how to mix it now your giving advice on how to use it?LMAO internet

HUH?...Right from the manufacter I asked him he said no problem with -20 windshield washer fluid and 4 bottles of heet...And yes i can give advice i installed and and know how it works...What is the big deal if it has a little more meth in it...Guys run 100% methanyl....DONT THEY????? The reason you even mix it is because its flammable...thats the reason guys mix it...SO if i have a mix of 70/30 whats the big deal....Nothing....Do you have water injection? Oh and if you did listen to the internet guys i would have MAF and 42 lb injectors and blah blah blah...Im running the car old school the way it was before all that stuff And its even Still Speed density and the car runs awesome...i dont see a problem with doing it a different way then ever body else is doing it...Right or worng it works for me....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just curious....if you are increasing the effective octane rating and reducing the combustion temperature and thus the risk of detonation, why do you need a tune?
My question would be...why put meth/water injection on the car if you're not gonna take full advantage of it with a tune?

From what I understand, both the cooling effect of the water and the octane boost from the meth allow you to advance spark timing for a pretty dramatic increase in power.

That said, it can't hurt. The guy is apparently getting some ponies from the cooling effect of the spray (he should probably be running more water in it in that case).

But imho, old school would be running a carb. At least get a wideband so you don't blow your **** up.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My question would be...why put meth/water injection on the car if you're not gonna take full advantage of it with a tune?

From what I understand, both the cooling effect of the water and the octane boost from the meth allow you to advance spark timing for a pretty dramatic increase in power.

That said, it can't hurt. The guy is apparently getting some ponies from the cooling effect of the spray (he should probably be running more water in it in that case).

But imho, old school would be running a carb. At least get a wideband so you don't blow your **** up.

I have the timing locked and it is set to what i was told by Snow performance...Yes i am going to get a wide band.it is a good thing to have...Old school to me is this car looks bone stock they way it rolled of the assy line...just with some added punch...lol...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/myhemi/DSC01204.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/myhemi/DSC01203.jpg

And this was before the water injection kit install...i will have pics of that soon...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/myhemi/DSC01209.jpg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am also baffled by the fact that you're not gonna get it tuned. The stock computer tune was made for a stock engine. Every part that you add the computer will get less and less reliable.... especially with boost and meth.

A tune will
1: Get every last horsepower out of the engine
and
2: Ensure that you won't run lean or have detonation.

Even on a MAF car not getting a tune is just silly...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am also baffled by the fact that you're not gonna get it tuned. The stock computer tune was made for a stock engine. Every part that you add the computer will get less and less reliable.... especially with boost and meth.

A tune will
1: Get every last horsepower out of the engine
and
2: Ensure that you won't run lean or have detonation.

Even on a MAF car not getting a tune is just silly...

I cant get a tune with a Speed density car...which my 87 is...the car runs great..The meth kit was added to aid in detonation.I make 10 psi which is a mild set-up with the bolt ons i have..Mike from snow performance walked me thru mt set-up to ensure me that i have it safe to run with what i have...Yes can i get better with MAF and a tune of course but for what i have...I think im fine...Its a street car i built it to have fun and race on the weekends...And just like everyone when they hear its an AOD convertible its a sled...Well mine must be a factory freak it ran a [email protected] 96mph ON street tires with minor bolt ons, BEFORE i installed the blower and meth kit.Im hoping for 12's now...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well more power to ya man!

I know I'd hate to have to switch out all that crap to run mass air. Especially if you do it with a stock engine, the loss in horsepower would be annoying.

It'd probably be worth it in the end, though, with your setup. But as long as you're making some power and having fun! :bigthumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts