Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a water leak around the timing cover to block area near the alt.

i recently just changed my water pump / thermo. and housing....i havnt run the car since then....i put some fresh water into the car the other day and start her up.....then i see water dripping out of the back of the timing cover....any suggestions on fixing this leak?

should i just get a new timing cover and replace...

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Sounds like your timing cover is corroded on the backside where it meets the motor. I had this exact same problem. I ended up replacing the whole cover. Problem fixed.

If you've replaced the pump and torqued down all new gaskets, that's all it can be.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I had the same problem. It was leaking at the back of the timing cover where it meets the block. Replaced the cover and it never happened again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help ghost. Is the timing cover hard to replace? Is there a explaination of how to remove it in a chiltons or hayes book so i know what to do. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did ya change the little "L" heater hose on the pump? I had a leak that looked like the timing cover and discovered a little crack at the inside bend of that little hose

·
Registered
122 Posts
i had a leak that was similar but it was the bypass hose that "kenlani" is talking about. but it might just be the timing cover gasket. or its actually the timing cover. but if it is.. its easy to take it off. with air tools i can have one off in no time. same thing as taking off the water pump except you need to pull off the harmonic balancer. just be prepared to spend some time scrubbing off the old gasket off of the block...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i changed that hose too btw....im sure it was commin out of the timing cover...btw

when i pull off the harmonic balancer...does it matter about the position i put it back on? if i dont put it on the same way will i mess up my timing?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also...im in the process of taking off the timing cover...and while i was taking it off i had to take off this long hex thing with a mushroom shaped thing on it....it also has a wire coming off the mushroom thing...i was just wondering what that does....

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Thats the oil pressure sending unit screwed into a pipe that goes into the block. Removal of that is not required.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Push the harmonic balancer on as far as you can and the bolt will draw it in as close as necessary.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks so much for the info...i might have screwed something up and cause a bigger mess than im already in....i appreciate ur help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw...do i need a flywheel holding tool or something....when i try to take off the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer to the crank the hold thing moves to a point....but at that point its really really hard to move still..so i dunno what to do

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Put the car in gear or you can put breaker bar on the crankbolt and have it where when it turns it will hit the ground and the bolt will break itself free. Make sure the car is low enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so for the second way. i would put the breaker bar on the bolt...then id crank it (as in turn ignition)? or would i do something else.....

ps thnx ghost dog for all the help uve given me...

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Yes. Remove the wire from the ignition coil also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Timing Cover Seat Replacement

On my new frontcover, the seal came seperately from the cover. How do you put the seal onto the front cover w/o damaging either parts?
thanks for any info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.