Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I need some serious help with these stupid ugly looking water marks on my black '05. They turning up everywhere on the car. And alot of them are pretty big too. I don't know how they get there after I dry the stang after I wash it. Anyone know a way to get rid of them? I've tried to wash em off, no good, and I tried the speed detailer, no good either. And I have a car show to go to next sunday, so I got to get rid of them this week. Anyone know a way to get them off? They are specially ugly on a black car because you notice everything. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Try using a claybar, that is the safest. They also have clearcoat friendly polishes you can try, they don't hurt the clearcoat.
When you rinse your car, the best way is to just let the water from the hose run on it with NO nozzle. Make sure it is not in the sun. You have to dry it before the air does.
Micro fibre cloths are absoulutley the best way to dry, they don't streak.
If you have real hard water, that too can be a problem.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It would help if we knew what type of wax you have on your car, but to start try 2:1 distilled water/distilled white vinger.That is if you have tried to get it off with washing /detail spray/clay bar and wax. Try this site for more info WWW.detailersclub.com There is a forum for exterior, in that is a thread on water spots named f**king water spots this is a great site about detailing . good luck hope this helps black cars are tuff to keep looking sharp.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
claybar should do it. but its your hard water...it will only do it again. wash your car in the shade and even then its risky..early morning or evening when the temps are down. black gets hot so easy.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
06 redfire GT said:
in that is a thread on water spots named f**king water spots this is a great site about detailing . good luck hope this helps black cars are tuff to keep looking sharp.
LOL @ f**king waterspots. Totally how I feel when I see them. I sat at a McDonalds exit once and didn't realize the stupid sprinklers were hosing down the side of my car. However, the spots came right off when I washed it next so I can't really help you except to say they can be polished out and it takes some elbow grease and two coatings of shoulder/wrist grease followed by a bunch of tricep liniment and chiropractor spray. You'll be at it for a while, to hear a cow-orker tell it [yes I am a member of Dogbert's New Ruling Class, since 1993]. Her new, black Dakota got hosed most of the day, in 100 degree weather a couple weeks back. It was so bad.

On the upside, nothing looks as killer as black, when it's clean, eh? Worth the work even if it is sucky work, while you are doing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
mustanghelper said:
use coke a cola
OK, explain the where, why, how, and when. I've got to hear why and how coke works. How are you applying it, and why does it work? Doesn't the acidic coke hurt the paint? If it tears my stomach up, it can't be good for paint.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I am so glad someone started this thread. For I was about to do the same. I have waterspots galore (thankfully not on the Stang) on a dark car. I was thinking a clay bar would work, and I am glad to hear it should work. I am dying to know how the Coca-Cola thing works...sounds interesting...sounds like how shaving cream cleans white sneakers or how tootpaste cleans jewelry.

·
Registered
233 Posts
if you leave coca-cola on the car too long it will destroy the paint. I would not use it.
Give the clay bar a try. I took out a small light scuff on my car this weekend. My wife had water spots on here car a few months ago and claying took them out. We have hard well water. we normally go to the car wash to do the cars, but she decided to do it at home.....big mistake. it took 2 times claying the car to get all of them out. you will miss some of them the first time.

S

·
0 Posts
The clay bar has always gotten rid of water spots on my Stangs. Of course it depends on how long they've been "burned" into the paint but I've always had great results with the bar.

In the past I've also used a soft closh and 3M machine glaze with very light hand buffing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Best thing to do is avoid them in the first place, get one of those MR Clean auto dry car wash nozzles. I just use it for rinsing the soap off, the water runs through a hard water filter when you set it on rinse.

·
Registered
113 Posts
JetBlack said:
On the upside, nothing looks as killer as black, when it's clean, eh? Worth the work even if it is sucky work, while you are doing it.
I totally agree black is a sick color looks mean and clean you cant go wrong with black paint...btw nice stang looks great thats cool how the tree reflects on the 3rd pic pretty cool....!!:bounce2::gringreen:gringreen

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Foolinjected said:
Best thing to do is avoid them in the first place, get one of those MR Clean auto dry car wash nozzles. I just use it for rinsing the soap off, the water runs through a hard water filter when you set it on rinse.
Which doesn't work. I have the same thing and I tried it two times just using it. Nothing, water spots everywhere and I got pissed.

So, now, I use it still, but after using the "spotless dry" feature, I wipe my car down with old t-shirts. They take off all the water and the car is left looking like new.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Of course you still have to dry it, if you just leave water on the car it will catch the dirt blowing around in the wind and leave spots. But it DOES filter out the minerals that leave the spots you can't get rid off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A good polish or cleaner wax will remove the water spots. Tough ones may take a little elbow grease. I use Zaino polishes and always throw another coat of Z-2 before car shows and it takes the spots right out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
for water spots, try in a couple small locations using undilutted white vinegar. I have occasionally gotten water spots onthe paint and windows, especially if I have to wash my stang on a hot day and it air dries before I can wipe it down.

I use vinegar on water spots on my windows all the time and I have used it on stubborn water marks on my paint and it clears them right up.

1. make sure the car is cool and better yet do it in the shade or in your garage
2. poor a little vinegar on a clean towel and lightly wipe the area with the spots
3. quickly wipe the area with vinegar up with another clean slightly moistened towel.
4. check your work, if cool you will want to apply a quick shot of mequires or mothers, turtle wax premium quick detailer and wipe dry.

this has always worked for me.

Sam

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have a black 05. Sun + hard water = water marks. Best thing to do after washing it is dry it in the shade or better yet in a garage. Sun usually causes water marks and spots in a min(minerals in the water help too). So unless u can dry your car in under a min, get it out of the sun. Forget coke and vinegar...you're youre just gunna do damage to the paint and remove wax, especially since the marks will juust come back when u give it another shower.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use the Maquires NTX tech wax and car wash soap.(Good Stuff)

As stated before wash in the shade using a microfiber cloth.
Shamis with a real shamis to get most water off then redry with another quality microfiber cloth...I use this same damp cloth, to wipe the door jambs, inner doors and trunk when done

Finally very lighty dampen another clean microfiber cloth and rewipe the whole car again...it will GLOW after this step.

It sounds like alot..But I can do the full wash in under an hour..Waxing it too takes a bit longer.

DO NOT rub your black car in small circles like the karate kid with wax or wash this will cause swirl marks over time..always wipe with the "grain" as it were..lol

This system will prevent water spots no matter how hard your water...As for spots from rain water or irrigation sprinklers..I can only recommend and good coat of wax and a garage.

And yes..I do own a couple dozen Micro cloths...:)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for their input. I went out and bought a claybar yesterday from the local autozone, I got one made by mothers. I used it and had awesome results, took all the watermarks off. Just in time too as I get to go to a local car show this morning here in a few hours. Thanks again to everyone for your input. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Another satisfied customer of AFM:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts