Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im workin on a 1987 5.0 mustang and the engine is still in the dog house and i started workin on it cause i just bought the car and it had a broken water pump bolt and it was leaking antifreeze from the passenger side aka where bolt was broke off in block at well ne how i got the fan out and all the other stuff i needed to get out of the way so i can get to the water pump and i started taking the bolts out and the far right one was so rusted it broke to so now i have 2 broken water pump bolts in the block and need to get them out so i can get the water pump off and then get the old rusted broken remains of the bolts out any good advice on how i should go about doing this

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bolt extractors should work provided you have enough room to get at them. Some require that you drill a hole into the middle of the broken bolts to get the extractor in.

You could probably weld a bolt head or a nut or something onto the broken bolts to give you something to grab onto again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
my brother broke his off inside the timing cover and we couldnt get the timing cover off because they were basically welded inside the timing cover. there was enough bolt sticking out of the timing cover to get an extractor on but it just broke the bolt a second time. after many failed attempts to get the timing cover off i took a sawzall to the timing cover where the bolts were. I cut through the timing cover about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the block and cut the bolts, then the timing cover came off and i had 1/2 of bolt sticking out of the block to put an extractor on, but a new timing cover is like 120 bucks so this is definatly worst case senerio. but they are most likely stuck in the timing cover not the block, finding new bolts is also a pain in the a**

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my brother broke his off inside the timing cover and we couldnt get the timing cover off because they were basically welded inside the timing cover. there was enough bolt sticking out of the timing cover to get an extractor on but it just broke the bolt a second time. after many failed attempts to get the timing cover off i took a sawzall to the timing cover where the bolts were. I cut through the timing cover about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the block and cut the bolts, then the timing cover came off and i had 1/2 of bolt sticking out of the block to put an extractor on, but a new timing cover is like 120 bucks so this is definatly worst case senerio. but they are most likely stuck in the timing cover not the block, finding new bolts is also a pain in the a**
tell me about it i had this similar prob on my 89 stang and yes there stuck in the timing chain cover. i got the water pump off and there is plenty of the one bolt on the right that i can possibly work with some how to get it out but the second one is broke in the timing chain cover and cant actually feel unless u stick a bolt or screwdriver in there. i had this same problem when i rebuilt my 89 5.0 block a month back but was wondering if there was a easier way about doing this. on my 89 i just wiggle and pryed the timing chain cover off as there was barely any bolt left in the block holding it to it i did a little damage to the cover but it was reusable. im not wanting to buy another cover so trying to salvage this one. and far as the bolts replacement went i just went to lowes and bought grade 8 stainless steel ones as no local auto store had what i needed. if ne one has ne good ideas without me having to destroy the cover please let me know thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.