Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So recently I have discovered significant leak from water pump. It looked like it was leaking form behind the pulley.

I've bought a new pump and installed it. Went for a short trip and after coming back checked the pump again. Still i have a leak but just from below the pump. Much smaller but still.

Any ideas what should I do? Checked all bolts are tightened.

Old pump leak:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

New pump:
Hood Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper

· Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,741 Posts
I know on my new Ford Water Pump still sitting in the Box on the description on Rock Autos ot says it may leak for about 10 minutes after you start it up and run it
Every belt driven water pump has a weep hole that might leak a little in the beginning. Some seepage from the weep hole is normal during the break-in period (about 10 minutes), and does not indicate a defect.
Wipe it off and see if it has stopped.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left it for 24h and it leaked about half inch on the expansion tank.

Possible water housing o-ring above the water pump?
I have changed the corrugated oring near thermostat. The oring below the pump was already built in. I have seen also a gasket on the engine site in this palce (pipe coming out of engine). Do you know if this one could fail? Is it possible to buy it alone?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The metal gasket that was together with the pump have one extra opening that didn't align with pump but it looks like has no effect on sealing because it's outside of the rubber.
Wheel Bicycle part Rim Auto part Circle

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts
I left it for 24h and it leaked about half inch on the expansion tank.
What expansion tank are you talking about? The crank pulley is directly beneath it.
What brand of pump did you buy?
As Siber Express said it could leak for 10 minutes during break in. That means that you have to run the engine for 10 minutes, not let it sit. To make sure that it's not defective have the engine run for at least this amount of time.
My guess would be that the gasket surfaces were not clean and debris free or the gasket is defective. You also have to determine where exactly the leak is coming from. Find out if it's coming from the weep hole or the gasket.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

I took out once more the pump. The leak was from the weep hole because the gasket was damaged. There was a little metal peace below the gasket that damaged it. After replacing the oring and puting everything back it's dry. What a relief.

The pump was from GMB manufacturer. The only one that was available in the shop in my place. Be aware in the future if you buy this pump and check below the oring that is factory placed before mounting the pump.

Sorry for my English - I am not a native.

Thank you all for your help.

Broken gasket:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive fuel system Auto part

Metal peace that was behind the gasket:
Automotive design Astronomical object Tints and shades Circle Water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts